Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #1
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

Side windows blowing out/shattering

2008 win. Sightseer 29R. We bought this in arizona and brought it into Vancouver bc. In the last 6 month both sliding front windows have shattered for no explainable reason. I’m referring to the sliding driver and passenger windows.

Is it an age thing? Has anyone else had one or more shatter?

Thanks in advance
7997redtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

First job after Navy retirement was as Sales Manager for a window and bath accessories sub contractor. Glass is funny stuff.

So, when you say "shattered", was the vehicle moving or stopped? What shape were the pieces? Knife-like shards or mostly uniform, thumbnail sized pieces? The former would be plate glass, the latter, tempered. Should be tempered in a vehicle. Should be laminated.

Our driver and passenger sliding side windows are tempered and laminated.

Had your OEM glass been replaced by the PO? Plate glass will not take a lot of vibration or torsional stresses. Tempered will take more abuse, but is actually less flexible. Tempered glass will also carry an etched designator in a corner. In either case, they need to be properly installed. Incorrect installation itself can place the glass under stress, then the normal twisting a moving rig endures can carry that stress to breaking point.

An interesting thing occaissionally happens with tempered glass. Tempering intentionally sets up stresses in the glass, causing it to break into smaller, uniform, less dangerous pieces. Once in a while, during the tempering process, a piece of glass will pick up a tiny nickel inclusion. That inclusion becomes a stress locus. At some point, perhaps years later, that locus will cause the glass to spontaneously, catastrophically shatter. Rare, but.......

I am out of WAGs

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 09:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

sightseer window breakage

First of all, I'm interested to learn more about what happened. I'm in the midst of buying a Sightseer 29R now. I'm assuming tempered glass was installed.

I had a tempered glass shower door at home explode into small pieces overnight, sounded like popcorn as it continued to break into smaller pieces. I looking it up on-line and found it was not rare.

A couple of guesses to consider - 1. Was the glass cleaned with a dark green brillo-pad? Some can scratch the glass. 2. Was an alkaline cleaner used, like 409? That can etch glass too. 3. I wonder if hitting a hard bump like RR tracks could over stress them.
David_Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:38 PM   #4
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

All OEM stock glass

As far as I know, second owner, all the glass is stock. Both sides have shattered like a car windshield. Definitely was tempered glass.

A few months back one blew out and yesterday the other side went. Both times the window was facing south towards the sun. No huge temp. Change so I don’t expect that. I’m mainly wondering if I’m the only one this is happening too.
7997redtail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window