Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2018, 06:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Show Us Your Vista or Sunstar 32YE Storage Mods

We are considering the purchase of a 32ye in the future. I am interested in seeing storage ideas and/or mods for this coach. Thanks!
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We haven't found the need to make any storage mods to our 32YE. Of course, we came from a Winnebago Micro Minnie so we feel like we are swimming in extra storage space. So far, I would say the two most likely mods we might eventually make are; 1) Some type of storage up front that is easily accessible to the driver. 2) Either drawers or sliding trays in the pantry next to the fridge.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 06:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

My BIL put sliding shelving in the pantry of his 29ve. He does a great job with his woodworking and they are beautiful as well as functional.

I was thinking especially of the large closet in the 32ye. There is so much space, but I feel it would be more useful to have some type of organizational system. I know everyone’s needs for storage are different, but I can see the potential for shoe storage and other organizational systems there.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:05 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
My BIL put sliding shelving in the pantry of his 29ve. He does a great job with his woodworking and they are beautiful as well as functional.

I was thinking especially of the large closet in the 32ye. There is so much space, but I feel it would be more useful to have some type of organizational system. I know everyone’s needs for storage are different, but I can see the potential for shoe storage and other organizational systems there.
We have one of these in our closet. They work pretty well. Better than you would expect.

https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Housew...anging+shelves
Old 11-12-2018, 06:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
We have one of these in our closet. They work pretty well. Better than you would expect.

https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Housew...anging+shelves
What are the shelves made of? Are they holding up well? Was thinking of something like that on the wife's side, Was steering away from free standing shelving units that would make the floor space difficult to use. I already removed the lower rod from our 32YE since we had no use for it. My side has the clothes hamper, Swiffer mop, broom, guitar, etc. Still plenty of room to hang clothes too.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:46 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for your post. I see the area in the bottom of the closet as ripe for a way to organize shoes and other things, but will want it to be neat, organized, and utilize every square inch of space. The bottom of the closet is huge - the largest I’ve seen in any RV.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:42 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompwil View Post
What are the shelves made of? Are they holding up well? Was thinking of something like that on the wife's side, Was steering away from free standing shelving units that would make the floor space difficult to use. I already removed the lower rod from our 32YE since we had no use for it. My side has the clothes hamper, Swiffer mop, broom, guitar, etc. Still plenty of room to hang clothes too.
The shelves are cloth material that is held stiff by wire frames. Great for clothes, shoes, etc. Would not be as good with really heavy items like tools or dishes.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #8
Let's kill some bugs!

The biggest problem that needs storage innovation is the dump station compartment. The dump hose and the big 50amp cable are very difficult to fit into that compartment. However I do have an idea that I believe will solve the problem by making a small rack inside that compartment for the dump hose, hanging it up high, away from the floor so the cord can fit better on the floor of the compartment. In addition, the hose doesn't have to be disconnected. The hose can stay connected to be more convenient to use. I haven't made the hose rack yet, but when I do I'll share a photo. It requires a special Rhinoflex Secure Collapse hose that collapses and clips together in the collapsed state.
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 04:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

The water/sewer/power compartment is the worst "feature" of the 32YE. I cut my power cable off and put a plug and socket the cut ends. The power cable now lives in a plastic bin in another compartment when not in use. I also place a progressive EMS in between the tow cables inside the compartment when in use. I a little tight but I don't have to worry about the EMS walking off. Pictures of the hose rack in action will be great. Thanks
Old 11-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
The water/sewer/power compartment is the worst "feature" of the 32YE. I cut my power cable off and put a plug and socket the cut ends. The power cable now lives in a plastic bin in another compartment when not in use. I also place a progressive EMS in between the tow cables inside the compartment when in use. I a little tight but I don't have to worry about the EMS walking off. Pictures of the hose rack in action will be great. Thanks
I agree for sure, did the same thing and added one of these reels, $157.00 from RVupgrades.com.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Mor-R...-p/19-0080.htm

It works great, takes up less space and I can clean it as it is being reeled in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2099.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	170585   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2097.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	397.6 KB
ID:	170586  

Name:	IMG_2094.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	170587  
Old 11-16-2018, 10:52 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I see in your pics that your waste tank's common "outlet" is not in line with the sewer hose access port in the floor of the compartment. Do you find this to be a problem?
Old 11-16-2018, 11:28 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBear View Post
I see in your pics that your waste tank's common "outlet" is not in line with the sewer hose access port in the floor of the compartment. Do you find this to be a problem?
No problem, the hose flexes to the opening. I leave the 2 foot hose connected to drop it through the hole since my Rino is tricky to get through, makes it easier to connect and the cover cap can still be used. I did install another twist on valve at the outlet. The handle is easy to access, though it may not look like it in the picture.

After dumping the black tank, I close the added valve then open-and-close the gray valve to give a quick blast from the gray tank into the black for a little rinse. Works good when the gray tank is pretty full, I just don't let it backflow into the gray. Then close the black valve after it's empty and then finish dumping the gray. The way the tanks are set up in the 32YE, it works pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2064.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	170588  
Old 11-17-2018, 03:56 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I agree for sure, did the same thing and added one of these reels, $157.00 from RVupgrades.com.

It works great, takes up less space and I can clean it as it is being reeled in.
I have been thinking about getting one of those reels. When it is cold out, the power cable loses its already limited flexibility and can be difficult to get into the bin.
Old 11-17-2018, 07:39 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the information. Tips and tricks are so helpful.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:18 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:

This is a great Idea, I think that a moron designed that original compartment. How many feet did you leave on the cord? This was a very smart Idea. thanks for the idea
qhilldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:14 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

It took me 6 weeks to decide to buy the 32YE model because of the power cord in the wet compartment.

As a part of the deal I had the dealer install a Marinco outlet in the side of the motorhome.

I took the remainder of the cord and cut roughly in half. On the cord half with the plug (male) I installed the end to fit into the receptacle. I took the other half and made an extension cord.

My rationale for cutting the cord in half was based on years of rving. Rarely am I further than 15 feet from the box. Why fuss with a large cord of not needed.

I also have a 30 amp to 50 amp cord. Easier to handle. I use it when I’m not going to need both AC.

Works for me. Going to study the tank drain set up. It’s a problem tho usually i don’t hook up until I need to dump. Then I don’t feed through the bottom. Hook
Up and pull the handle.
RoadRohrers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:28 PM   #17
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRohrers View Post
It took me 6 weeks to decide to buy the 32YE model because of the power cord in the wet compartment.

As a part of the deal I had the dealer install a Marinco outlet in the side of the motorhome.

I took the remainder of the cord and cut roughly in half. On the cord half with the plug (male) I installed the end to fit into the receptacle. I took the other half and made an extension cord.

My rationale for cutting the cord in half was based on years of RVing. Rarely am I further than 15 feet from the box. Why fuss with a large cord of not needed.

I also have a 30 amp to 50 amp cord. Easier to handle. I use it when I’m not going to need both AC.

Works for me. Going to study the tank drain set up. It’s a problem tho usually i don’t hook up until I need to dump. Then I don’t feed through the bottom. Hook
Up and pull the handle.
That seems like a great idea. When you get the time, would you mind showing us a photo of the Marinco connector mounted the side of your rig? When you say it was mounted on the side of the RV, is there some kind of cover over the connector when not in use? A photo would be great, thanks.
Old 11-19-2018, 05:38 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by qhilldogs View Post
This is a great Idea, I think that a moron designed that original compartment. How many feet did you leave on the cord? This was a very smart Idea. thanks for the idea
I left about 30" on the cord inside.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:53 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Here you go. Hope the photo attaches.

The dealership did not locate the inlet where I requested. I wanted between the gas fill and gen compartment. They installed directly under the fuel fill.

Unfortunately, even being careful, it is near impossible not to have gas flow back as it finishes filling. Did not like gas getting on the inlet. It probably is me being paranoid as I can never imagine a scenario where I would refill and be plugged in at the same time.

I moved the inlet where I wanted and now have two inlet doors. Better than a hole.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0D12680A-0E97-4C5F-8873-E5CA562EC46C.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	446.4 KB
ID:	170599  
Old 11-20-2018, 07:21 PM   #20
Let's kill some bugs!

Looks good, thanks for sharing the photo. I like the idea. You're right, being that close under the gas filler isn't ideal, but it should never pose a problem.

Tags
storage