Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-30-2016, 08:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Seeking input on Itasca 2003 Suncruiser 35U

We are looking to move from our Sunline trailer to a motor home and looked at a 2003 Itasca Suncruiser 35u w/GM chassis. It has 36k miles on it and appears to be pretty well maintained. I am a little concerned about the basement air not knowing much about them going in. It seems to operate pretty well, but was only in the coach for 30 mins or so. Have found a wide variety of opinions on the True Air units and wanted to get some users input. We are going back later this week to test drive the coach and wanted to spend more time with it. I do know it's a 30 amp coach. Also wanted some general feedback on the MH if anyone can share their experience with one.
brewin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:57 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I had an 01 35U Chieftain on a Ford Chassis and put 61,000 miles on it. The air worked well but I can't comment on the ongoing service now that they discontinued using them. I sold mine 10 years ago. It's a great layout and the 30 amp service was doable. You have to manage it along with the power management system. Good luck with your decision.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

We had the basement air in our 2001 Adventurer. It did a great job and was far less noisy than the roof airs on our 2013 Adventurer. If they were still available we would go back to them in a minute.

They are essentially the same as a residential air conditioner. Any heating and air conditioning service that does residential AC's should be able to work on a basement model.

The main reasons they are no longer offered is the fact that coaches are getting larger with multiple slides and full wall slides. To keep up with the demand to cool the larger spaces Coleman would have had to increase the output and physical size of the units. With the advent of DEF and catalytic converters for diesel coaches a larger AC would drastically cut into storage space.

Even the larger gas coaches with full wall slides would require larger units. This again would seriously cut into storage capacity and the added weight would cut into the amount of "stuff" the owners would be able to load onboard.

It's easier, less expensive, and takes less room to install multiple roof air conditioners.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:41 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have an '03 Adventurer with basement air. Not sure about long term maintenance, only had it a little over a year but as mentioned it's just like your home AC. We just came back from a trip through the Black Hills, Yellowstone and Grand Tetons. Most of the time the temp was in the mid 90's so we ran the generator and AC when traveling. Had to to turn it down, well up I guess, because it got too cold in the MH. When parked with AC on we had the door open most of the time, I hate feeling closed in. When temps are 98 and it get's too cold, well that's all the proof I need that it works well.

Believe the Suncruiser 35U and Adventurer 35U are pretty much the same coach. You said GM chassis, it would really be a Workhorse chassis, GM sold the chassis business to Workhorse. Do you know what chassis? P32, W20, W22?

If a P32 I would test drive it, around the city and on the freeway. The P32 is the old GM design, the W20 and W22 are Workhorse designs. The P32 won't be the best handling chassis available but you need to drive it and decide yourself.

As far as the rest of the coach, I like ours. No major issues just normal maintenance stuff Considering it's 13 years old that's not bad.

Ours is 50 amp but I don't think 30 will be a problem. You can run both AC/heat pump compressors on less than 30. The energy management will shutdown the 2nd compressor if needed and the electric water heater, etc. if you want to use the microwave. We used 30 amp service a few times when 50 wasn't available.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have the 2002 suncruiser 35 U the basement air in mine works very well some have complained that the bigger coaches did not cool well enough but the 35 seems to be enough cooing power. Parts are readily available and new units are still being made. Some people say they have a hard time getting them repaired not as many people work on them. I am a heating and air conditioning technician so would have no problem working on it because is very similar to a residential unit.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the feedback! I checked the VIN and it is a W22 chassis. We are going to test drive it Thursday. Sounds like you guys liked your Itasca's. I am going to check for the duct issue that I've seen on some posts. I will be the 3rd owner so perhaps it was addressed. When we were in it, the unit was blowing cool air but it had been sitting in the open and it was in the low 90's that day I believe so it had not really cooled down yet but it was working on it. The only other issue that we were concerned about was the dash ac not blowing cold air. The current owner said it has not worked since he bought it a year ago but he has not used it a great deal and got by without it as it seems a lot of people seem to do. I have read about some simple fixes but will look into that as well next time we are there to look at it. Asking 38k which as equipped seems to be above low retail. Thanks again for the feedback and I'll let you know what we end up with.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the feedback! I checked the VIN and it is a W22 chassis. We are going to test drive it Thursday. Sounds like you guys liked your Itasca's. I am going to check for the duct issue that I've seen on some posts. I will be the 3rd owner so perhaps it was addressed. When we were in it, the unit was blowing cool air but it had been sitting in the open and it was in the low 90's that day I believe so it had not really cooled down yet but it was working on it. The only other issue that we were concerned about was the dash ac not blowing cold air. The current owner said it has not worked since he bought it a year ago but he has not used it a great deal and got by without it as it seems a lot of people seem to do. I have read about some simple fixes but will look into that as well next time we are there to look at it. Asking 38k which as equipped seems to be above low retail. Thanks again for the feedback and I'll let you know what we end up with.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2000 Suncruiser 35U with 104,000 on it In 95 degree weather the basement air will freeze you out. We can maintain 67 - 70 with no problem. Don't think we'd ever gat another one without basement air.
Romer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:35 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

find out if the brake recall was done. It can cause problem with the brake system if it is not done.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I sure will. Thanks for the tip on that.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:51 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

The dash a/c will work reasonably well, but only in "MAX AC" mode where it pulls air from inside down by the passenger side feet. There is just too much heat in the engine compartment to get cooled down.

The other reason dash air is less than effective is Workhorse decided the Allison Transmission cooler must be out in front with the a/c coils next, then the engine radiator. Then the tranny fluid circulates thru the engine radiator to heat up tranny to 130+ deg or more. So a/c coil always gets preheated air from the tranny cooler.

I complained after 2 weeks of ownership back in 2004 about poor a/c. Dealer took it on a 30 mile test drive and came back to tell me a/c normal and meets spec. You just have to run in Max mode and settle for cool air and not cold air.

About 2006 or '08 WH changed the design and got the a/c coils out in front of the tranny cooler.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:49 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heating man View Post
I have the 2002 suncruiser 35 U the basement air in mine works very well some have complained that the bigger coaches did not cool well enough but the 35 seems to be enough cooing power. Parts are readily available and new units are still being made. Some people say they have a hard time getting them repaired not as many people work on them. I am a heating and air conditioning technician so would have no problem working on it because is very similar to a residential unit.
Well as it turns out the #2 compressor won't come on. Was reading another post about basement AC and saw it was only drawing 15-17 amps on the panel with just the AC and a couple lights running. It was blowing cold air but amps would not change regardless of the demand we put on the unit. Shut AC off and turned the breaker for #2 and started AC again. It came on and amps were same. Turned it off again, and shut down #1 turned #2 back on and then turned AC on again at panel and got nothing. It would not come on at all. Perhaps it is something as simple as the relay for#2 but the AC needs to be pulled and looked. I do know a guy at work who's brother is in HVAC and I am pretty sure I can get I'm to look at it. Worst se scenario and he compressor needs replacing, any idea what that might cost? While the unit is out would there be anything else we should service? I did download the instructions Duner posted to remove the unit and it does not look too bad but someone else would need to do the AC fixes.

Other than that, the coach was vey nice, drove very well, and is in very good condition. The duct fix was done by the first owner. The brake recall has also been taken care of.

Again, the current owner has had it about a year and has not used it very much. He is also in the process of moving and has no place to store this coach.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:20 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Where's the best place to find parts for these AC units?
Old 09-02-2016, 09:47 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewin19 View Post
Where's the best place to find parts for these AC units?
Here's some help on that......I copy-n-pasted the info from page 32 of my procedure you downloaded. I personally don't have any experience with these vendors, but other members have and I'm using their words here:

One of our members has found a money and time saver website to buy parts.
Buy HVAC Parts | Air Conditioner Parts | Furnace Parts | HVAC Plus
Once you know the required part number, contact this link or use their customer service folks to find it and quote their price. Some parts may have up to a 33% discount. You'll need to give the Customer Service Rep the manufacture name of the major component (ie. Carrier/Coleman), then the Model Number..followed by the company's part number. Many times the part number is on the scan lable pasted to the component or listed on the Operators Parts Manual that comes with the unit.
The Customer Service Rep who has given me great service is Liliana Mera: 800-431-3137 EXT 114. Liliana really knows HVAC parts and clearly has worked this parts supply service company for some time.

ALTERNATE SOURCE FOR COMPRESSOR

From another member of the forum.......

After much searching I found a replacement compressor for the 15,000 btu 120 volt R-22 basement heat pump units.

It's number is RKC5515EXA, made by Tecumseh. I had to call tecumseh's help line to get this number, it's a direct replacement for Rk225AT-26-a4 or a RK5515S. This is on a 1996 Holiday Rambler Endeavor with 2 basement ac units that are no longer available and the only option seems to be cutting holes in the roof and mounting roof top units, abandoning the ducted system. finding the compressor is like a miracle if it fixes it.

Good luck, and remember "where there's a will, there's a way"
Bill
Old 09-04-2016, 07:22 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I went and looked at the MH today and removed grille and looked at the electrical components. This is what I found.

Looks Like one of the compressor capacitors shorted out. Again , I assume this is for #2 but I am not sure. I am hoping it is that simple. The wiring and connections look good, but honestly I am no expert with electrical anything. I do not really know what shorted out. Can't tell if that black mark is coming down from the board or is from the compressor starter or fan starter or what. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	312.3 KB
ID:	138101  

Tags
itasca, suncruiser