Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2007, 08:47 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
I have a Xantrex Link 20 I want to install in the One Place area. To do so requires running a multi-wire cable from the Link 20 out to the chassis (outside world) and into to the battery compartment/ground area.

I've been able to remove the utility cabinet beneath the One Place for clear access below. However, so far I'm unable to find a path to the chassis in this area as it's right over the grey/black water tank area which is effectively sealed off to the outside. All the cables that go down from here are so tightly jammed into a hole in the sub-floor that I've not been able to feed fish line through there. And I believe all those cables stay inside or run back to the electrical bay anyway.

My next idea is to remove the tank access panel above the propane tank and see if I can route the cable out this side even if it means drilling a hole from the tank enclosure to the propane tank area.

But as insurance I'd like to solicit ideas from other who have done this kind of thing. I'm pretty sure a couple folks in the Winnebago forum have installed a Link 10 or 20 or similar so I'm hoping someone has first hand knowledge as to the right direction here

Thanks in advance.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:47 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have a Xantrex Link 20 I want to install in the One Place area. To do so requires running a multi-wire cable from the Link 20 out to the chassis (outside world) and into to the battery compartment/ground area.

I've been able to remove the utility cabinet beneath the One Place for clear access below. However, so far I'm unable to find a path to the chassis in this area as it's right over the grey/black water tank area which is effectively sealed off to the outside. All the cables that go down from here are so tightly jammed into a hole in the sub-floor that I've not been able to feed fish line through there. And I believe all those cables stay inside or run back to the electrical bay anyway.

My next idea is to remove the tank access panel above the propane tank and see if I can route the cable out this side even if it means drilling a hole from the tank enclosure to the propane tank area.

But as insurance I'd like to solicit ideas from other who have done this kind of thing. I'm pretty sure a couple folks in the Winnebago forum have installed a Link 10 or 20 or similar so I'm hoping someone has first hand knowledge as to the right direction here

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:08 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I have a Xantrex Link 20 I want to install in the One Place area. To do so requires running a multi-wire cable from the Link 20 out to the chassis (outside world) and into to the battery compartment/ground area. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I installed a Link 20 and ran the wires down the wall of the One Place panel, along the left side of the cabinet holding the hand vac. below the One Place and fished the wire out throught the nightlight opening in the bath hall.

I then drilled an additional hole in the bathroom wall where the water hose from the toilet goes throught the wall and fished the wires out in the bathroom.

Ran it along the wall in the bathroom about six inches and drilled a new hole in the back wall of the bathroom, to gain access to the space under the fridge.

From there I ran the wires through the existing opening for the build in vacuum cleaner into the storage below and some further routing from there to the batteries.

Hope this makes some sense and I know the layout maybe some what different on your coach.

I mounted the shunt on the back of the battery slide out tray, along with a cable restraint so that movement from the drawer is not experienced at the shunt it self.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:35 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Harry,

Boy that's a lot of fishing.

I think in my case taking the holding tank access panel off is the lesser of the evils. I'll should be able to run the cable across the top of the holding tanks and down into the propane bay alongside the fridge drain hose. From there it should be a pretty straightforward to route it to the battery bay.

Interesting idea connecting the shunt to the back of the battery tray with the cable restraint. My initial thought was to attach the shut directly to the frame. I think I'll take a fresh look now. The additional 3/0 ground cables I've fabricated could work either way.

I'll keep this thread posted with updates.

Old 05-01-2007, 06:53 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Got to spend a little Monday evening time working on this. I successfully fished the cable across the holding tanks to the propane bay area but ran out of daylight/time before I could run it any further. I am concerned the 25ft cable may not be long enough and may find I wish I had bought the 50ft. Probably won't find out until this weekend.

Old 05-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am concerned the 25ft cable may not be long enough </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jon,

I had the same expereince that I ran about 8 ft short. I extended the cable. Soldered an extension to the existing cable and used shrink tubing to cover the joints. I made the additional cable myself by twisting the pair of wires as required for the sensing waires. Just use your electric drill to twist a pair, while the other end is mounted in a vise.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 01:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Jon,

I've posted some photos (awaiting approval) on a similar install. Ran the cable down that cable run directly behind the clothing hamper. It comes out behind that panel over your LPG tank. Used stiff 12 GA. to fish it thru. Also note the mount for the shunt. Pictures will be on the Class A MHome category.

2012 Honda CRV / M&G Braking
bill jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 06:18 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Bill,

The other post you mentioned doesn't seem to have shown up yet.

It sounds like I already figured out pretty much the same thing you did. However, I've not had time yet to drill and finish the running the cable. I am curious to see exactly where yours runs over the tanks and drops into and across the top of LPG bay.

Were you able to finish the run to the shunt with the basic 25ft cable without having to fabricate a twisted pair extension?

Old 05-04-2007, 07:30 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Jon,
I ran the cable down thru the cable run directly behind the hamper http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showph...500&ppuser=471
Straight down you will come out in front of the rear axle. cross over to passenger side back over axle then come into battery box thru any opening available. Attach shunt http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showph...500&ppuser=471. Had 6 foot of cable over.

Old 05-04-2007, 10:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Jon,
Finally figured how to attach photos to forum replies! Check on forum or if still not working I'll attach them to a PM. Looks like we have similar projects.

Will be starting out for the summer Monday.. Off to Montana for the summer. Will be on line as often as I can. Check back any time.
Bill j.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:21 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Bill,

Got pics okay. I didn't find the direct way down the the axle in the hamper area when I was looking last weekend. Found only the black water tank. Hence why I ran the cable out to the LPG area. Will look again here later today or tomorrow.

Jon

Old 05-04-2007, 11:29 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Bill,

Looking more closely your cable and shunt appear different than mine. My cable is gray and unterminated and the control box has a 8 separate leads to be connected. Yours looks similar to a CAT5 cable with a jack end. Did I possibly get stuck with an older unit?

Old 05-14-2007, 08:48 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I finally had enough time to finish the physical install of the Link 20. It was working perfectly for about 24 hours. But then while I was in the coach I hear a funny pop and the Link 20 display is going nuts. I run outside and pop the fuse connection. I go back in the coach and was greeted to the rancid smell of burnt electronics.

As Scotty would say, "She's dead Jim!".

Xantrex was reasonably cooperative and gave me an RMA. The dead controller/display was shipped to the factory today "to be repaired" which in this case I believe means "replaced".

Too bad too. We are heading out for a weeks worth of dry camping tomorrow and this would have been a great opportunity to see how well it worked.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:33 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Don't you miss the days when we were tent camping and all you had to worry about was pumping up the Coleman stove for the morning coffee.

On the road in Yellowstone.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:05 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Bill,

Yes I do miss tent camping and being able to go anywhere I want. The whole hard-sided camping thing started some years ago after a bad incident with high-winds and high temps. DW said she'd not go camping again unless she could be guaranteed a good night sleep. 8 years a class C later here we are.