Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2019, 05:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Rodents?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rodents.jpeg
Views:	136
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	171005
What is this?
History:
2007 Journey 36SG.

Presently in South Texas.

Had removed dead mouse from Squirrel Cage Blower in the Furnace.
After that I heard noise in the wall which contains the Electrical / Furnace / Black/Gray Water settings which sounded like a rodent.
Now I suspect that I have some kind of rodent in the ceiling air ducts.
This is a picture of what is being blown out of the air duct when it is turned on.

Question - How can a rodent live on this Styrofoam?
How do I safely remove the rodent?

I don't want it to get it trapped and die in the ducts as it would cause a bad smell.
n9bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:42 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Look for its droppings. Mice typically have runs along walls and the like. Then get a sticky trap, bait it with a dab of peanut butter in the middle and place along the run. I've also used the old fashion snap traps to good effect but due to them being very light you need to tape them down to the floor so they don't bounce away when tripped. Same thing with those bait them with peanut butter and place near mouse runs. In an RV I would consider putting traps in some of the cavities behind equipment like the converter, water heater, under the sink, etc.

You also need to give the RV a good going over to seal any places the rodents can get in. If you don't you will run the risk of more in the future. Also since you are in the Southwest be careful cleaning up. The common deer mouse and some other rodents carry something called the Hantavirus in its droppings and fluids. I would wear disposable gloves to handle any traps with dead rodents and cleaning up. You might want to get a professional duct cleaning after the mice are gone as well.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I know it's not a fun task but you have to get under the RV and find and seal every place a cable / cable bundle or propane pipe enters the floor or any basement compartment side or back walls. Sorry to say that many Winnebagos leave their plants with unsealed holes.

I know mine did in 2 places. I just helped another Winnebago owner who had a mouse problem and they also had 2 places that were not sealed.

I use coarse steel wool from Wal-mart or etc. and stuff it in any unsealed or partially sealed holes I find, then cover that with either black gorilla tape or eternabond tape to prevent air movement.

Finally you have to seal up any openings where your power, water, and sewer lines pass out of your RV. Steel wool is good for this too, it's cheap so buy some extra and toss and replace every few months as needed as you move around.

- - - - -

Finally, getting some bits of styrofoam blowing out of your celing vents is pretty normal for a new Winnebago, they generate many bits when they use power equipment to make the vent and wiring channels and they don't get it all blown out during assembly. Once you have used your AC about 20-30 times it will diminish.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

https://www.earthkind.com/product/fr...ent-repellent/

best stuff out there
Chiefig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:29 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I had this happen a couple of years ago, lots of sticky traps if you can remove some vents and place them in the ceiling if you have any bundles of wires going up from he storage bays seal those with foam. rodents want water and food make sure there is none. I have head that if you can heat the coach up for an extended period of time they will seek water and possible leave the coach. I now leave a couple of sticky traps in the storage bays/water bay and have not had any for a couple of years. You will be able hear them if they are in the ceiling and yes they try to tunnel through the styrofoam. Good Luck.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Had rodent problems with my first motor home. Used sticky traps. Worked great. Just throw mouse and trap away. DON'T USE POISON BAIT!! If a mouse dies and you can't find it or can't get to it, you'll have terrible odor for several weeks, and probably for a year or two when the weather is humid.

Even though I haven't had a mouse in my Winnie, I still keep a couple of stick traps in the pantry compartment and under the sink.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Perhaps bronze wool would be a better choice.

Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
..........I use coarse steel wool.............
PennBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 06:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

If you do use poison use the larger blocks as opposed to the pellets. Problem with pellets is the mice carry the small pellets into their nest before they die. So far I have had them carry the pellets into the air cleaner on my motorcycle, and into the squirrel cage of my wife's car. The faster you can kill them the better. I use spring traps, water traps, sticky traps, poison, and cats in my barn. It's like a mine field. I have never had any mice in my camper which I store in the barn but I avoid keeping any food, including baited traps inside the camper because it will draw them into the camper.
tim l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:02 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

We have used Cab Fresh. Little canvas bags with a potpourri that deters mice. So far we have been lucky and it has worked on our cars.
lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 11:50 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

When I first purchased our used RV in 2017, We went camping and found a litter of kittens in the basement. We were able to get 5 to an animal shelter, but there apparently were more as a horrible smell came from the basement for most of summer 2018. Smell is now gone. Cat used our RV to have kittens when it was parked in storage. I now slap my hand against RV every time I visit it in storage to scare any cat away. I have also tried to seal any openings that I have found underneath.

I know there has been a rodent problem with my RV, Blue Dog RV charged me 10 hours to fish a cat6 line through a wall to install a new inverter. The mechanic said there was evidence of rodents in the wall. I was more upset with the 10 hours of fishing.

This winter I upgraded my batteries. I had to move them to a new location in the basement to fit all 6 golf cart batteries. I removed part of a wall and found a dead rodent.

I live in Las Vegas and I think the 110 degrees the RV is parked in will kill any living thing that has tried to make a home in our RV.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:31 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Cab Fresh works for me i change it out every 6 mt
Gordiegaffer is offline   Reply With Quote