Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Replacing Journey slide seal

We have always seen a bit of 'daylight' under our bedroom slide and feel a bit of cold air in that location. So I took a suggestion from another RV'r and used a MD garage door bottom seal to replace the OEM seal. I got the garage door bottom seal from Lowe's; they have a 9' seal for about $8 and a 16' seal for about $12.

Removing the OEM seal was not hard. The staples were rusted and once I removed the first 3 or 4 on one end, I was able to yank on the seal and pull most of the remaining staples out. The few that remained were easily removed with pliers.

The garage door seal is a perfect fit. It is a tight space in which to work, so I got an electric stapler (good excuse to get a new tool ). I used monel staples and easily attached the new seal. It is essential to tuck the bottom seal behind the side seals at the bottom to keep water out.

Pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1598.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1601.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	210  

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Bedroom Slide Seal

Gary
Just wondering why you replaced the seal.??? I saw your post that you had seen a lot of "daylight". We have an inherent problem of "leaking" in the bedroom slide when it rains right beside the bed on the "bathroom" side. We cannot determine for the life of us where the water is coming in.
We simply place a flat dish under that slide and that seems to catch the water. Just wondering if you have any problems with a leak in the bedroom slide?
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucrabbie View Post
Gary
Just wondering why you replaced the seal.??? I saw your post that you had seen a lot of "daylight". We have an inherent problem of "leaking" in the bedroom slide when it rains right beside the bed on the "bathroom" side. We cannot determine for the life of us where the water is coming in.
We simply place a flat dish under that slide and that seems to catch the water. Just wondering if you have any problems with a leak in the bedroom slide?
Never had a leak. I replaced the seal only because it was not sealing well right in the middle of the floor, which allowed cold air to enter. On bright days, you could see light coming in under the slide floor.

I do know that if that seal has ever been replaced by someone and it was not tucked behind the vertical seal on the side, a leak may occur. You can easily inspect it with the slide extended.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I'm confused. Is that view from outside or from under the bed or from under the coach? From the outside our's doesn't look anything like that, and I am not sure how to get at it from the inside.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
I'm confused. Is that view from outside or from under the bed or from under the coach? From the outside our's doesn't look anything like that, and I am not sure how to get at it from the inside.
That view is from outside the coach looking under the slide floor with the slide extended.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have a Horizon 39QD and have the bedroom slide water leak on the "front" side of the slideout - the side of the bed nearest the front of the coach...
TDInewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We have the 40K Ultimate Advantage (03) and had a serious leak at the front of the bedroom seal. Finally took it to the factory after my dealer had replaced the seal and still didn't stop the leak. They replaced the seal all around with a new version they are apparently using on the newer coaches that is much heavier. Haven't had a problem since.
robbstein is offline   Reply With Quote