Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2016, 05:36 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Replacement windshield(s) in 06 Meridian

I have two windshield halves that are both badly cracked. I have had numerous chips repaired over the years, but this year, I got hit twice and both of them spread pretty badly. I plan on turning them into my insurance and letting them pay for them. My question is: I have read several posts on here in the past about the framework behind the windshield rusting and pitting. I plan on being there when they remove the old windshields, but if it's rusted behind the glass, what then...? Normally, I would do the work myself, but if I'm at a glass shop, I can't very well drive the coach home without a windshield. Any suggestions...?
Old 10-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have an 05 Journey and had my drivers done last summer and am waiting for the passenger side window show up. You may need to ask the installer if they can help you repair it. My ins company goes through Duncan Glass. They arrange the installer.
Old 10-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I have read several posts on here in the past about the framework behind the windshield rusting and pitting. I plan on being there when they remove the old windshields, but if it's rusted behind the glass, what then...?
It's not unusual that you will find some rust, even to the point that the windshield frame will be rusted and rotted out. In my case, some of the windshield frame had to be cut out and new metal welded in, along with grinding down any surface rust, sanding and them painting them with a primer. Sadly, two years later or so, I'm back to leaks from the windshield frame.

It's beyond me that so many owners give Winnebago a free pass on this 11 model-year engineering flaw. -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I had the auto glass guys come to my house and take out old windows then I took a few days to fix the rust and they came back and installed them. this is a big problem because they had the windows in stock. (06 journey)

Don
Old 10-09-2016, 06:55 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

At least we have a real metal frame for the windshield. My brother-in-law's uses a rubber gasket to hold it to the fiberglass cap. It's been know to pop out while going down the road or leveling. I believe no real frame on the front of the coach. Give me the frame, I'll do rust repairs.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstinch View Post
I had the auto glass guys come to my house and take out old windows then I took a few days to fix the rust and they came back and installed them. this is a big problem because they had the windows in stock. (06 journey)

Don
That's what I did--- less work for the glass installer, and the repair is done right
Old 10-10-2016, 04:47 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I've had both sides replaced, several years between each side being worked on. Some corrosion was discovered on each side. The installers, different companies, were familiar with the Winnebago rust problem and repaired/treated the corroded areas before installing the replacement glass.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 11:09 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Thanks guys, I will try to have someone come to my house for the install.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:03 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Well if you were a Ramsfan and in LA like you should be... ..... I have a friend with the same coach as us who has had his glass replaced several times, and the mobil guy he uses does all the prep and paint, as well as removing some pesky curing clip clip that he claims is not necessary with the new adhesives. He's mobile in the LA area

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago in Forest City, IA has a fixed price for windshield replacement and fixing rusted out leaking issues. My quote for my 04 Vectra was $1300 each side of which I just scheduled for next June.

Just call owner services.
stuh101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 05:30 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
When they replaced my window, the frames were rusty and pitted. At first the installer selected by Duncan did not want to install on the "defective frames because of the safety issues" . They said the frame was a rollover cage and the "LAW" would not allow them to do anything until it was sent to a steel fabricator to have the frame replace. Such BS !

I called winnebago and they said the frame was not a rollover frame and that even with pin holes in the frame it could be used to mount the glass once the rusted areas were sanded down and if still a little ruff, items such as bondo could be used to smooth the surface after the metal was treated with a rust converter or preventer . POR 15 and similar products are good for rust conversion only. Any quality canned spray paint like rustolium to top coat is good too.

My installer then agreed to side and grind the surface rust and prime the frame. They installed the glass on the urethane adhesive and let it sit for one day. they did not put enough adhesive behind the glass. I ended up with a leak through one of the pin holes. Make sure they run the urethane to the very top of the window glass and a little beyond. then they can trowel the adhesive on a 45 degree angle to insure that water will not collect behind the top of the glass.

That is what I had to do after they install my glass.

Tags
ace, replace, replacement