Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2019, 01:42 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Replacement of Sony backup camera and monitor

Does anyone know of a manufacturer who uses the same wiring as the old Sony backup cameras did with the mini 4-pin connectors? If I purchase a new system, what are the odds of finding an adapter in order to continue to use the same wiring vs having to rewire it? Thanks in advance!
Scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
Does anyone know of a manufacturer who uses the same wiring as the old Sony backup cameras did with the mini 4-pin connectors? If I purchase a new system, what are the odds of finding an adapter in order to continue to use the same wiring vs having to rewire it? Thanks in advance!
I would like to replace my back up camera and upgrade to color. I found this site that sells adapters. RV Cams: Backup Camera Systems (All) I have not used them yet but I do want to go this route when I am ready to make the change.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 09-11-2019, 03:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Several manufacturers make the cameras to replace the Sony's with the green plug. I went to Riverpark Electronics that sold Winnebago mine in 2013 and they sent me a replacement for $150
Old 09-12-2019, 09:13 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I guess I am looking at the wrong cameras. I have not found one that has the same mini 4-pin connectors. I don't want to purchase a new camera without knowing for sure there is an adapter for it because I would have no clue how to rewire the motorhome.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:21 AM   #5
Site Team

I purchased through RV Cams .com. They tailored the pieced I received to the pieces I already had to make it a plug and play system. Tim over there may be able to help you out.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Yes, you can pay RV Cams twice the price for the same camera if you like
Old 09-18-2019, 06:28 PM   #7
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

I’d be more curious in....

I’d be more curious in the video screen. I think it would be harder to fit and replace. I admit I know nothing about these systems but wireless cameras? That’s why I’m more curious about the screen. It would have to fit within the existing hole.
7997redtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Rear view camera system

I replaced my old system with a color wireless system recently. Several makes and models are available on Amazon. Color is beautiful, picture is sharp, grid lines can be turned on or off. Easy to install, just need to connect to 12 volt power source. You can also get models with multi-camera capability. Very economical, mine was just $169.00.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Meridian42e, can you supply a link to Riverpark and the replacement Sony camera? I did a search and wasn't able to determine if they were a manufacturer or dealer. Way too many companies with that name. Thx.
resqguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:48 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I have not heard good things about wireless cameras. I'm glad to hear yours is working! I think I need to stay with the wired version though. Thanks anyway!
Old 10-02-2019, 06:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I've been driving the last 4 years since my Sony crapped out. Couldn't find a reasonably priced back up replacement, now I don't miss having one.
Five2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:27 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqguy View Post
Meridian42e, can you supply a link to Riverpark and the replacement Sony camera? I did a search and wasn't able to determine if they were a manufacturer or dealer. Way too many companies with that name. Thx.
https://riverparkinc.com/about-us/ here they are
Old 10-07-2019, 03:58 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I replaced my defunct Sony with a Voyager, from RVCams.com. The were very knowledgeable, and provided an adapter cord to use the existing sony wiring; plug n play.
Old 10-13-2019, 06:57 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Scoop,
I recently replaced my still working Sony backup monitor and camera, with a completely different system, which did require running all new wiring which uses 5 wire cameras.

The original Sony camera and monitor are monochrome (b/w) and are just setting around taking up space, but they work just fine. If you're interested, send me a PM.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:50 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I replaced my old Voyager monitor and camera, which used the 4 wire system, with a color unit from Rear View Safety. With the adapters they had we were able to stick with the existing wire and all works fine. Ours also has the "mirror link" feature so if my wife has navigation going on her phone it can show up on the rear view monitor if wanted.
divein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 04:31 PM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
Scoop,
I recently replaced my still working Sony backup monitor and camera, with a completely different system, which did require running all new wiring which uses 5 wire cameras.

The original Sony camera and monitor are monochrome (b/w) and are just setting around taking up space, but they work just fine. If you're interested, send me a PM.
I wanted to know if you still have your old Sony b/u system you replaced if so would you be willing to sell it I just need the camera but would be willing to buy the monitor as well let me know what you want for it thanks Shelby108
Shelby108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 05:11 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Replacing Sony back up with wireless back & side cameras

I still have the old one if anyone is interested. I haven't decided what to replace it with though. I'm looking at wireless but I will still have to have power supply to the cameras and have no idea how big of a challenge that will be for me. Not looking to spend a crap load of money. Any suggestions are appreciated. Minimum of 3 cameras and need to have split screen in order to help seeing all areas while driving.
Old 03-24-2020, 05:13 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

CaptBill - May I ask what system you replaced it with and how difficult was it to install?
Old 03-24-2020, 05:49 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby108 View Post
I wanted to know if you still have your old Sony b/u system you replaced if so would you be willing to sell it I just need the camera but would be willing to buy the monitor as well let me know what you want for it thanks Shelby108
Yes Shelby, I sure do. Both camera and the monitor, and tey work as they should. Screen is clear and image is sharp. Sound works as it should.

PM me for any details, or call/txt at three oh two niner for 5 sic seven sicks 7
Indian River, De
Old 03-24-2020, 06:12 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoop View Post
CaptBill - May I ask what system you replaced it with and how difficult was it to install?
Had to dig through my docs, but found it. I used SafetyVision camera and monitor, and added the passenger side outside mirror's built-in camera, using an adapter that SafetyVision stocked. But I did have to run the new backup camera wiring from the rear cap, down inside the cap (was way easier that I thought), and zip-tied the cable to the chassis frame rails. Ran the cable up to the front cap, into the fuse & relay box where I was able to work it though a large wiring grommet to underside of dash, to the monitor.

Had to fabricate a new monitor mounting bracket to flush mount the monitor, and center it in the opening from the Sony. The mask fit pretty nicely, and the whole install looks factory.

I could take a pic and post it if needed.
Indian River, De

Tags
ace, camera, replace, replacement