Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2006, 04:38 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I would like to replace the carpet in my 02 Journey 36LD with a laminate floating floor. I want to do this primarily because we travel with 3 small dogs, and from time to time, they will have an acident. The laminated flooring would be so much easier to keep clean.

The question is, has an of the DIY gang repalced flooring under the slideout? It appears on my unit that with the slide out all the way, I would not be able to remove all the carpet, and install a "T" molding for the laminate flooring. How hard is it to extend the slide some more? I will call Winnebago on Monday, but I would be grateful for any replies from someone that has alrady done it.

Thanks,
Dgold2
Dgold2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 04:38 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I would like to replace the carpet in my 02 Journey 36LD with a laminate floating floor. I want to do this primarily because we travel with 3 small dogs, and from time to time, they will have an acident. The laminated flooring would be so much easier to keep clean.

The question is, has an of the DIY gang repalced flooring under the slideout? It appears on my unit that with the slide out all the way, I would not be able to remove all the carpet, and install a "T" molding for the laminate flooring. How hard is it to extend the slide some more? I will call Winnebago on Monday, but I would be grateful for any replies from someone that has alrady done it.

Thanks,
Dgold2
Old 08-05-2006, 05:25 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Location: Fulltiming. Living wherever the jacks hit the ground.
I did not do the flooring change in my Adventure, but, all the carpet was removed by the company that did the work. They managed to glue the vinyl down under the edge of the slide.

I didn't use laminate, I used Armstrong Solarium, and may have saved some money if I had used the laminate. The floor covering I used was close to $30.00 a sq yard.

http://www.bobhatch.com/mhPages/oldTableArea.htm

http://www.bobhatch.com/mhPages/newTableArea.htm

We now use 3 throw rugs in the living area. To clean up we toss the rugs out the front door. While I shake the rugs out, Mary vacuums the floor. It's a 10 minute job. Why vacuum? Because I put in a built in vacuum cleaner that exhausts to the outside of the rig. No dust being thrown around the rig by a broom.

http://www.bobhatch.com/mhPages/vacuumInstall.htm
Old 08-05-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Bob,

I must say that is NICE! I certanily would like my floor to look as good as yours!
Old 08-05-2006, 03:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Dgold2:

We've wanted to do the same thing in our Journey. We've considered plank vinyl or Pergo. I'm not concerned about removing the carpet but I am concerned about the bottom of the slide marring whatever I install. According to Winnebago, there are no rollers under our slides...each of the ends are bascially a metal skid that slides easily on carpet...not sure how it would behave on laminate. I guess it would depend on the final thickness of the material installed. Our slide leaves a pretty deep indentation in the carpet.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 05:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dgold2:

Thanks,
Dgold2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking of this on my coach because the dog could have an accident. However since laminate flooring could allow an accident to seep between the joints and get into the padding below making it so you would have to remove the flooring to clean or replace the padding I have begun to reconsider. You would have to seal all the joints in the laminate flooring to prevent this but would still have a floor system that is not really designed for use in potentially wet locations. I am going to stay with the plastic runners on the carpeted areas and bring my Little Green Machine along for a while longer as I contemplate what my other options may be.

Regards,
Old 08-06-2006, 02:59 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I plan to put down laminate flooring myself.

I called Winnebago customer service and they said they use a slide bar that has carpet on the bottom when they install laminate flooring.

I will be at the factory in late Aug for replacement of the slide toppers due to hail damage and they will replace the two slide bars then. They estimate 2 to 3 hours labor.

I believe they will also adjust the slides slightly to make the bar slide over the flooring transition pieces that are 1/2 inch thick.
Old 08-06-2006, 03:10 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

NeilV
I have the same concerns as you.

1) There are sections of laminate flooring for potentially wet locations like kitchens. These planks have glue on the edges that seals them.

That will make it difficult to remove them in case of wear or damage however.

2) The regular flooring is easy to remove since the transition pieces snap into the track that is fixed to the floor.
Planks are available with the foam on the back of the plank.
I think I may use those and if anything stays on the floor long enough to seep though, the pieces can be replaced.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Does any of this change if it's a flat floor slide? Seems like you have to somehow keep the slide from tearing out the edge when the slide raises up to come in.

We also want to replace our carpet and the dealer estimate was $5000. YIKES So we haven't done it yet

We did replace our carpet with laminate flooring in our 96 no slide Brave and loved it. We also had dogs and needed/wanted something easier to keep clean. We replaced it from the doghouse to the back wall and never had any problems with it.

Wish that the factory would wake up and realize what a pain the CHEAP carpet is. In our 92 Brave we had very nice carpet that was easy to keep clean and clean. I guess the expense of decent carpet was to great.

IF you do replace your carpet with flooring please keep us all posted on how it goes/went. I know a bunch of people that would gladly rip that nasty carpet out and replace it in a heartbeat.

GEE maybe Winnebago could set up a bay just for carpet removal and flooring install and just line us all up and go at it with group rates!!!
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 05:23 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I just replaced the carpet in my 2002 Journey DL. Used Sam's laminated flooring. I cut carpet as close to the slide as possible. Stapled the carpet at the edge of the slide with an air stapler. Replaced the carpet under the passenger's seat and up to the rear of driver's seat. (Left carpet under driver's seat, as carpet was really hard to get up from being glued to the metal floor.) Cost was less than $300.00. I am really happy with the floor.
Omurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:54 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Omurray:
I just replaced the carpet in my 2002 Journey DL. Used Sam's laminated flooring. I cut carpet as close to the slide as possible. Stapled the carpet at the edge of the slide with an air stapler. Replaced the carpet under the passenger's seat and up to the rear of driver's seat. (Left carpet under driver's seat, as carpet was really hard to get up from being glued to the metal floor.) Cost was less than $300.00. I am really happy with the floor. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe you indicated before that you also covered the slide floor with laminate. How did you handle the transition between the edge of the slide floor and the coach floor? Can you post some photos of the finished job?

thanks.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:10 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannah View Post
Does any of this change if it's a flat floor slide? Seems like you have to somehow keep the slide from tearing out the edge when the slide raises up to come in.

We also want to replace our carpet and the dealer estimate was $5000. YIKES So we haven't done it yet

We did replace our carpet with laminate flooring in our 96 no slide Brave and loved it. We also had dogs and needed/wanted something easier to keep clean. We replaced it from the doghouse to the back wall and never had any problems with it.

Wish that the factory would wake up and realize what a pain the CHEAP carpet is. In our 92 Brave we had very nice carpet that was easy to keep clean and clean. I guess the expense of decent carpet was to great.

IF you do replace your carpet with flooring please keep us all posted on how it goes/went. I know a bunch of people that would gladly rip that nasty carpet out and replace it in a heartbeat.

GEE maybe Winnebago could set up a bay just for carpet removal and flooring install and just line us all up and go at it with group rates!!!
when you replaced the floor in your 1996 brave, did you find an extra piece of 1/4 inch plywood on the floor area in front of the galley? If so did you remove it before installing the new floor or build the rest of the floor up?
jmwsew is offline   Reply With Quote