Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Removing dashboard on a 2001 Winn Journey DL?

I can't figure out how to remove the dashboard on my 2001 Winnebago Journey DL. Does anyone here know where the fasteners are located and how to access them?

The upholstery is shot, and I would like to replace it.

Laying on the floor and looking underneath the dash I can see the threaded ends of a couple of 1/4" bolts that come from above. I peeled off the upholstery from the top of the dash in those locations and the heads of the bolts are not there. Apparently they are underneath the sheet metal dashboard. I have removed the vent bezels and pulled up on the dash, but it won't budge. It is held on securely from underneath. I am baffled so far as to how the dashboard is held on and what the sequence of assembly was. Where are the fasteners and how do I get to them?

I have called Winnebago help desk. They sent me a PDF showing a dashboard with screws that were installed from underneath. As far as I can see, this is not how mine is. Like I said, the bolts I can see were installed from above. I will investigate more tomorrow and see if I have more luck. But if anyone knows how to do this, I would appreciate knowing.

Thanks, John
JohnJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:51 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: N. Palm Springs CA (in winter)
Posts: 61
Hard to see things under the dash. Might consider buying or renting a digital inspection camera. The can see in places you fit your head. Inspection Camera - Save on this Digital Inspection Camera
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Master
 
Jbmsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Apopka Fl.
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJoseph View Post
I can't figure out how to remove the dashboard on my 2001 Winnebago Journey DL. Does anyone here know where the fasteners are located and how to access them?

The upholstery is shot, and I would like to replace it.

Laying on the floor and looking underneath the dash I can see the threaded ends of a couple of 1/4" bolts that come from above. I peeled off the upholstery from the top of the dash in those locations and the heads of the bolts are not there. Apparently they are underneath the sheet metal dashboard. I have removed the vent bezels and pulled up on the dash, but it won't budge. It is held on securely from underneath. I am baffled so far as to how the dashboard is held on and what the sequence of assembly was. Where are the fasteners and how do I get to them?

I have called Winnebago help desk. They sent me a PDF showing a dashboard with screws that were installed from underneath. As far as I can see, this is not how mine is. Like I said, the bolts I can see were installed from above. I will investigate more tomorrow and see if I have more luck. But if anyone knows how to do this, I would appreciate knowing.

Thanks, John
I believe you have 10 bolts holding the front dash pad on. Open the hood and you should see five of them. You will need a deep well with a couple of extensions. The two you see on your back use a box end ratchet wrench. You must be patient and happy with a little at a time. I am still sporting battle wounds on my arm from it. Once you get them moving it goes faster. Shooting a little lube first helps a bit. Okay you have three left. Look harder and you can get one more. You might have to remove a vent or tray but you can do it. Okay now you have two left that you can't get but you know about where they are. Peal the material off and scratch the metal surface with a razor blade. This will show you where the last two studs are exactly. Get a drill bit the size of the stud and drill onto the plate. Then change to a bit twice the size and finish the job. Now you can remove the dash pad. Recover the dash pad. Don't worry about the two missing studs. Put a small piece of masking tape about three layers over each hole to make you feel better. The new material foam backing will hide many sins. Now you have it covered and ready to install but you are missing two mounting studs. That's ok just place a bead of clear silicon where the two missing studs are and install the dash pad. This will illuminate any rattles or lifting after it dries. Now hopefully you thought ahead and lubed the three hard to get to studs so they will spin on easy. Okay your dash looks good, now take a few days to recover you will need it.
Jesse
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-758006101.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	56678   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4265149741.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	56680  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4137555637.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	443.8 KB
ID:	56681   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-472314475.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	415.2 KB
ID:	56682  

__________________
You Only Live Once Travel!
2013 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Apopka FL.
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Thank you immensely JB for the detailed answer.

I will try that today. I hope mine is the same as yours. I didn't know that you could get at them from the front outside hatch. I assume that is what you meant by "Hood".

I wish engineers would design things to make maintenance easier.

John
JohnJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Dog, thanks for the borescope idea. If I can't find the bolts, that will be what I use next.

John
JohnJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #6
Winnebago Master
 
Jbmsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Apopka Fl.
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJoseph View Post
Thank you immensely JB for the detailed answer.

I will try that today. I hope mine is the same as yours. I didn't know that you could get at them from the front outside hatch. I assume that is what you meant by "Hood".

I wish engineers would design things to make maintenance easier.

John
Yes the front bolts you can access from the outside.
Jesse
__________________
You Only Live Once Travel!
2013 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Apopka FL.
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 5
Well thanks again Jesse.

I got it out. I liked your idea of drilling out the bolts from above. The bolt locations can be seen fairly easily even with the paint over them. They are spot-welded onto the sheet metal, and a round outline can be seen. I drew a cross centered on each one with a pencil, started drilling with a 1/16" drill, and progressed up to a 5/16" drill. I drilled them all out. There were nine on mine. it only took about an hour or so.

I didn't want to put it back by the same bolts because they are too difficult and time consuming to get to. I will re-attach it with sheet metal screws, or I may make a new dash out of oak veneered plywood, and discard the sheet metal dash.

John
JohnJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:00 AM   #8
Winnebago Master
 
Jbmsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Apopka Fl.
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJoseph View Post
Well thanks again Jesse.

I got it out. I liked your idea of drilling out the bolts from above. The bolt locations can be seen fairly easily even with the paint over them. They are spot-welded onto the sheet metal, and a round outline can be seen. I drew a cross centered on each one with a pencil, started drilling with a 1/16" drill, and progressed up to a 5/16" drill. I drilled them all out. There were nine on mine. it only took about an hour or so.

I didn't want to put it back by the same bolts because they are too difficult and time consuming to get to. I will re-attach it with sheet metal screws, or I may make a new dash out of oak veneered plywood, and discard the sheet metal dash.

John
Hi John
I am happy all went well for you. I remember now that 4 were in front and 5 in the rear, 9 in total. I would like to see it when you finish.
Thanks for the follow up.
Jesse
__________________
You Only Live Once Travel!
2013 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Apopka FL.
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner
 
lwasouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 173
Wood Dash

I removed and padded and recovered the dash in my 2005 Itasca Horizon. I used 1/2" Marine form and regular marine vinyl to cover. It makes a very padded dash.
If you are considering a wood dash, I would recommend leaving the metal dash in place and putting the wood over the metal. For both weather and fire protection.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:36 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner
 
ladagobago's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Posts: 114
Thanks for the lesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmsr View Post
Yes the front bolts you can access from the outside.
Jesse
thanks for the ideas and inspiration. I had to fish wires under and around the dash when I install my new LED TV and surround sound systems. I was a hard job. How I wish now that I had asked this forum and you for instructions. My cousin has a newer but gasser and told me there was a hinge. NO HINGE HERE I told him. One of my next projects will be to remove this beast to change the cover and look for some sort of twist lock hold down from above with finishing caps. this will make getting under there a lot easier.
__________________
La Dagobago
99 36 FL Winne Chieftain 5.9 ISB Turbo Cummins DP, 24' box with 1972 V12 XKE Jag and HD Sporty Hobby of 1970's Suzuki dirt bike restoration. Visit my blog.
ladagobago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #11
Winnebago Master
 
Jbmsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Apopka Fl.
Posts: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJoseph View Post
Well thanks again Jesse.

I got it out. I liked your idea of drilling out the bolts from above. The bolt locations can be seen fairly easily even with the paint over them. They are spot-welded onto the sheet metal, and a round outline can be seen. I drew a cross centered on each one with a pencil, started drilling with a 1/16" drill, and progressed up to a 5/16" drill. I drilled them all out. There were nine on mine. it only took about an hour or so.

I didn't want to put it back by the same bolts because they are too difficult and time consuming to get to. I will re-attach it with sheet metal screws, or I may make a new dash out of oak veneered plywood, and discard the sheet metal dash.

John
I am happy to have helped you John.
I have received much help on here myself.
Jesse
__________________
You Only Live Once Travel!
2013 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Apopka FL.
Jbmsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dash, journey


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No dashboard power garybtt General Maintenance and Repair 13 03-25-2008 04:16 AM
Dashboard Bounce Freddy Winnebago General Discussions 23 01-24-2006 05:31 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.