Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Removing and replacing the bedroom tv in a 2004 Winnebago Journey 36 G

This is a message concerning my bedroom tv in my 2004 Winnebago Journey, 36 G, model. I took removed a 19", analog tv, out of the cavity that it was installed in. It was a bit heavy and awkward for one person to remove, but I got it out. I was surprised that it had only 1 coaxial connection in the back.

For those of you who have also removed your analog tv in the bedroom. What size and make of an lcd tv did you replace it with? There appears to be plenty of room in the wall cavity for a decent size replacement, but allowances will have to be made to ensure that the bedroom slide doesn't interefere and hit the new tv. I don't have a clue as to the other connections, but I'll figure it out, and with your help, I know it will be easier. I am open to any and all advice as to the best way to proceed. If you have photos of your reinstall these will help. Thanks to all.

Appreciate your comments and input.
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If your's is set up like my 36G, the TV is in an upper cabinet in the corner next to the wardrobe slide. I replaced the old 19" clunker with a 20" Panasonic LCD. As you can see from the pic, it fit perfectly in the opening.

I mounted a piece of plywood in the opening and attached a simple tilting TV bracket to the plywood. I painted everything in the opening flat black so you could not see the bare wood thru the gaps around the new TV. I am now going to fabricate a small shelf below the opening so I can mount a Direct TV box there.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

mycoolbeans -

I'd be interested in the process, locations, and challenges you had removing that tv!?

How did you go about removing it? I have an older 20" LCD I'd like to put in there but don't have the slightest clue as to where to begin to remove the tv.

Instructions/tips & tricks would be appreciated!
luckymick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymick View Post
mycoolbeans -

I'd be interested in the process, locations, and challenges you had removing that tv!?

How did you go about removing it? I have an older 20" LCD I'd like to put in there but don't have the slightest clue as to where to begin to remove the tv.

Instructions/tips & tricks would be appreciated!
Luckymick:

If your's is in the corner cabinet like the one in my pic, I can tell you how to remove it. Do you have a CRT type TV in there now?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Removing Bedroom tv

LuckyMick: I sent you a private reply yesterday, but I'll post this too. I removed a GE 19" from a 2004 Winnebago Journey, 36ft G model. Removing the tv is relatively easy. If you look through the wood framing that surrounds the tv, you will notice bolts at the bottom of the tv on the left and right. These bolts hold down a metal band/strap that goes up the left and right sides and across the top of the tv. To loosen the bolts you have to get at them from underneath the cabinet (where a light above the dresser is located.) You may have to hold the bolt with a socket set to keep it from turning. Once you loosen and remove the screws and bolts that hold down the metal band, you can proceed to push the tv around so that you can get at the metal band. The band on my tv had some silicone or glue between the tv and the band. I had to dislodge this material with a flat knife in order to remove the metal band. Once that is done, you can wiggle the television out of the cabinet. I pulled the tv out by myself, but it is heavy and awkward. If you need some extra help, get it, and don't hurt yourself or drop the tv. As you move the tv out part way, you will have to reach back and unscrew a coaxial cable, and you will also need to unplug the set. I also removed the wooden frame that surrounded the tv (once I got the tv out) by removing phillips head screws that anchored the wood frame to the rest of the cabinet. The frame is anchored with these screws up the left and right side of the frame, (look behind the frame) and across the top. There are about 5 screws on each side, and maybe 6 across the top. Removing the frame gave me some good options on installing a 26 inch, Samsung, led tv. I'm in the process right now, but I'll be happy to share my experiences as I go along. Check the private message that I sent. Hope this helps.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

To remove the TV you need to remove the thin plywood cover that is located under the TV support shelf. Loosen the strap bolts. I have to admit when I did that I thought am I going to be able to get these bolts back on the strap! And then I pried the strap a little to take the tension out of it. Then I slid the TV forward and cocked it a little so the right side came out first. At least that is what worked for me. I put it back about the same way. Then I used a long nose needle pliers shoved through the small crack to hold the strap while I inserted the bolt. SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank you!

Gentlemen! Thank you for the instructions! Never thought of going in from the bottom.

I have a 2007 Itasca Meridian 36G. I assume it's the same cabinetry... could be wrong. I will take a look this weekend - time permitting - and see if the bolts are visible under the tv.
luckymick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Removing Bedroom tv: the thin veneer beneath the shelf

LuckyMick:

Just to repeat a previous post that I made today, remember to remove the thin veneer of wood under the shelf in order to access the bolt heads. The light underneath the tv cabinet is attached to this thin veneer piece of wood.
This thin veneer of wood is easily removed by removing 4 phillips head screws and dropping the panel (with the light attached down). You'll then see the bolt heads and you'll be able to loosen the metal band that holds the tv.