Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2018, 10:49 AM   #1
MAC
Winnebago 38 Q

Exclamation relocate exhaust pipe

Has anyone relocated their exhaust pipe on an Adventurer from the rear of the coach to just in front of the rear tire? I want to install a rear track bar but the shop says the exhaust pipe is in the way. My concern is if we make this modification the pipe will exhaust under the slide out. I really never run my engine very long with the slide outs extended but it seems dangerous.
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

It is common for the tailpipe to exhaust in front of the rear tires on the driver's side on many motorhomes. As you said, the engine is usually not running for very long when the slides are extended so I wouldn't be concerned about that. Make sure they keep or install a sufficient heat shield.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

On my Suncruiser 35U, the exhaust pipes exit in front of the rear tires.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Mine too. There isn't a slide on that side, but the biggest window in the RV is right above the exhaust pipe.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

When replacing my exhaust pipe found it much cheaper to go out both sides, in front of the rear tires.
The cost to replace Y fitting and go over rear axle in the larger size was four time the cost and very few shops could do it.

Less restriction with a lower price a win win.

I asked for 3" wider than tires and made sure to keep clear of water heater access door.
thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderjet View Post
When replacing my exhaust pipe found it much cheaper to go out both sides, in front of the rear tires.
The cost to replace Y fitting and go over rear axle in the larger size was four time the cost and very few shops could do it.

Less restriction with a lower price a win win.

I asked for 3" wider than tires and made sure to keep clear of water heater access door.
And one less thing to drag when entering a steep drive.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:36 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Doesn't this RV have leaf spring suspension? If so, why would you install a rear track bar??????
Curious.
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:32 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
Doesn't this RV have leaf spring suspension? If so, why would you install a rear track bar??????
Curious.
Most every class A Gasser that I'm aware of has leaf spring rear suspension, and nearly every one of them can benefit from a track bar; some more than others, to control tail wagging.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 07:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Assuming your Adventurer is a Ford F53 Chassis you can google search for Ford Body Builders Manual <year> where <year> is the year of your RV. This will show the location where you can put the exhaust outlet, per Ford. Mine exits in front of the rear duals on the driver's side. It has a metal heat shield above the section where it makes the turn from the frame to the side of the coach so it does not overheat the coach's side wall and the bottom of the compartment the exhaust pipe passes under. You may want to get under another coach with an exhaust in front of the rear wheels and take some pictures so you can tell who ever makes the modification what kind of heat shield they need to make and install.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:43 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Most every class A Gasser that I'm aware of has leaf spring rear suspension, and nearly every one of them can benefit from a track bar; some more than others, to control tail wagging.
I have a 38j, which I believe was the biggest gas motorhome made, and have never had a handling problem or “ tail wagging” of any sort.
And my exhaust comes out in front of the rear tires on both sides.
sherf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:42 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I have a '07 38J Adventurer and I did experience tail wagging pretty badly. Now I have track bars front and rear and the rig tracks as good as my '94 F-150. So I guess everyone's rig could be a little different.

I also have single exhaust (Banks System) exiting in front of the rear wheels on driver side. I have not crawled under to see where any heat shield might be.
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:08 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Before you go to a lot of expense: have you looked at the "cheap handling fix"

Cant really hurt.
shutler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:45 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliman View Post
I have a '07 38J Adventurer and I did experience tail wagging pretty badly. Now I have track bars front and rear and the rig tracks as good as my '94 F-150. So I guess everyone's rig could be a little different.

I also have single exhaust (Banks System) exiting in front of the rear wheels on driver side. I have not crawled under to see where any heat shield might be.
My guess is it would be tires or tire pressure , a friend had problems with his after changing tires.
I changed from the original Michelin’s to Toyos, which are truck tires, and it rides better than it did and they were over $1000 less.
sherf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat