Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2019, 10:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Rear window Vista

I am curious how the rear window in a Vista is mounted. Specifically, the rear window that is the "emergency exit" window which pivots at the top and has a "clip latch" on each side.

Obviously these are not regular windows but does anyone "use them" for ventilation purposes and if so how much "range of motion" can one expect? I thought there would be a hinge at the top but it appears to be just a "lip mounted" (at top) window frame. Can't figure out what's holding it on and afraid to "test it" too much if you know what I mean.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I'm wondering the same thing! We wanted to get that window changed so that we could utilize it as an emergency exit AND a regular window with a screen so we could open it and use it like a regular window - but because of the exhaust for the generator coming out the back no one would do it for us for the liability issues.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:00 PM   #3
2018 Vista 32YE

We were wondering the same thing — how to use the window for ventilation purposes. In some previous rigs the escape window “fell out” when opened, and we wondered about this one. If it can be opened, and not fall out, we could possibly put screening on the inside — but not when the generator is running! Anyone know anything about this?
JStout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I obviously have a different Winnebago version than you do but I have of course tested the emergency exit so that I could learn how to get out in an emergency and you release the two handles and push out there’s nothing to hold it up but your own weight it would be quite the acrobatic trick to maneuver out that window over onto the ladder but I suppose if the place was on fire I’d manage . The only way you can put a screen is on the inside since the window opens out. Do not be afraid to test it. You should be comfortable using and even practice exiting it in case of an emergency. And of course if you are using it for ventilation do not run your generator if it’s exhausting out the back.
Old 03-07-2020, 03:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have fashioned a support rod to hold the window open at about a 75 degree angle in the event you have to climb out. I keep that and a modified Kidde emergency fire escape ladder under the bed just in case. I extended the arms that secure the ladder in the window so they can land on the front of the dresser top under the bedroom window.

Fortunately have never had to use either one. Hope I never have to.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 05:29 PM   #6
Site Team

It is illegal to put a usable window on the back of an RV. The rule writers think the exhaust pipe is back there like on a car.

Usable Exit windows are available and on the market. But you'd have to buy it and install it yourself. I doubt any shop or repair person would do it for you. Well, an independent repair man might.

We had a Class C that was equipped with the EXIT window on the back. We used a stick to hold it open. Worked great when there were no bugs. Not so great when there were bugs.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:28 AM   #7
2018 Vista 32YE

Thanks, folks. Good to hear other’s experiences and views.
Wyatt, yes indeed, we should be getting comfortable with all the systems. Thanks.
Now, I’m gonna open that window!
JStout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 11:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have made a screen that fits onto the window, from the inside, using velcro strips. I tried to make it as light weight as possible using pretty thin veneer for support. In the process I discovered the lack of any hinges on the top part of the window frame. This window is truly an emergency window. If you have a true emergency this thing will be flying off somewhere and likely won't be easily put back into place.

However, any size opening in that part of the MH would be a big plus during warm weather when you are using open windows to manage inside temps. And during warm nights (when not running generator) even and inch or two of opening is a welcome addition to the temperature management of the MH.

Tags
window