Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Rear bedroom tv, 2004 Winnebago Journey 36 G model

Well, here I am again with some variations on previous questions that I have asked. I've taken the analog tv out of the compartment above a dresser in the rear bedroom of my 2004 Winnebago Journey 36G. I have a 26" Samsung LCD tv to install in place of the old set. So far, so good. I'm having a bit of a hassle however in determining exactly how to "mount" the new tv. There are certain problems that must be addressed. First, I'm to the point where I believe the wood framing and metal mount for this framing have to be removed to give me ample room to install the new tv with sufficient clearances at top, bottom, and sides. My initial thought was that I could use a double arm, cantilever type wall mount for lcd tv that would allow me to maneuver the set through the front opening. I've looked at several wall mounts that can be locked and secured while traveling (Mor Ryde and other brands....I can't say that I'm satisfied with any just yet due to some secure framing that must be done prior to installing the wall mount and tv). Has anyone installed a 26" lcd in this location? What type/brand of wall mount did you use? How did you secure the tv wall mount prior to attaching the tv. Most mounts have vesa screws and patterns for securing the tv to the wall mount. It appears to me that I am going to have do use some pieces of 2X4 securely attached in the back part of the cabinet somehow in order to eventually secure a tv wall mount whether fixed or movable. My preference is for a movable mount so that I can access the back of the tv. One big problem is the bundle of wires at the back of the compartment which serves to restrict how far back the framing for the wall mount can be incorporated.
Any suggestions as to tv mount types, photos, etc., would be greatly appreciated. I have some ideas on how I want to proceed, but the wisdom of those in this forum have helped me before and I hope that some other suggestions from those of you who have faced this same problem might help redirect my thinking into the best ways to find a solution to these problems.
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

if you can when completed, send your pics, i am trying to do the same to my rear TV. (have model of MH) have been thinking about removingthe wood trim around the box permanently. this should give room for a 26inch vs the 20inch box in there now.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I am interested in this also. We have a '04 36G as well. I can't figure out how to get a LCD bigger than a 22" into that space. My opening measures, Heigth: 18.5 " , and Width: 20.5" . Unless I measured wrong, which could have happeded
Mr_Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

since there is a lot of wood trim around the curent TV, i measured and I think it can handle a 26 inch if you remove the trim. then on some TVs it will fit wall to wall.

i keep looking at these sales right now for one

thoghts
Old 12-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hi Folks. We have replaced both the front & rear CRT TV's with LCD TV's, with a 19" rear & 32" front. Quite possibly the same project design may well apply to at least one of your CRT replacement projects. If interested photos of the LCD TV mods & other projects at: Picasa Web Albums - Terry & Bev + Cookie .
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Hi:

I am in the midst of replacing both Tv's also. Why not just put a piece of solid oak, 3/4 inch thick, stained, screwed into front of wood molding witha miter around the edge. Bolt the wall mount and TV directly to oak.

Fast and Easy ..Any 22 in. TV will fit

Jim P.
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I too am in the planning/design stage of replacing both tv's. I was thinking of mounting it to the wall just to the right of the present crt and then making drawers, storeage bins, etc, out of old hole. Any thoughts on this mount?
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Tom,

if you mount it on the wall to the right, won't that get in the way of your slidign door.
Old 04-17-2010, 08:33 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Tom:

I Think I know the wall you are talking about. The TV would have to swivel 90 degrees to face the bed, you also have the problem of the hiding cable and electrial cord.

You could just as easily mount it on top of the top of the dresser top securely. But again what do you do with the gaping whole you took the other one out. I am not a cabinet maker to make drawers and door for cabinet.

If you are REAL handy remove the entire box, come out from the wall 6 or 7 inches and build a flat peace of oak accross the back wall. The space behind you will need for your electrial plug and cable. But you may have marks on the ceiling in the carpet and side walls where the old box was attched. You can then mount a swing arm mount from the back wall. I have seen this on a thread somewhere, but it's alot of work.

I just finished my front TV.... man that was alot of work. Still working out the bugs with the surround sound and DVD player.

Jim P.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

I'm looking at kicking off the same project. I was just starting to investigate the first step of removing the existing TV. Looks like you've all figured that one out.

Can I ask, how do you remove the existing rear TV on the 36G?
Megsfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Removal of the TV is not hard. You remove the thin panel below the opening which reveals access to the bolts that go thru the metal strap that holds the TV. Loosen those bolts, remove the strap and the TV will come out of the cabinet.

I replaced mine several years ago and was lucky to find a 20" flat screen that fit the opening perfectly. I mounted a 1/2" plywood panel in the opening to which I attached a TV wall bracket that swivels up/down only. It has worked well.

Not sure the square TV's are available now so a 26" would fit with a little cutting of the side pieces.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Hi Guys:

smlranger: That looks great, but I don't see any square TV's anymore in the stores. You must of did that a while ago.

Started the bedroom TV today, scratch putting peice of 3/4 in. oak over opening and attach wall mount. It sticks out to far and slide will hit it when retracted.

Scratch the small wall facing the bed, next to sliding door. TV would be in the way when you cross the room to get in bed or reach closet. Not to mention the problem of wireing and electrial outlet, building a cabinet door for existing TV housing.

Also newer TV,s don't fit the square hole. I am trying the angle iron with 3/4 in plywood set inside the metal strap that held the old TV in place. I will also use a metal L bracket on top of strap in the middle attached to oak molding from behind. My TV is only 15 in. high. I will use 3/4 in. oak to fill in the gaps in the height. The width is 20.5 wide between the moldings. A Dynex 22 in. color TV is exactly 20.5 inches wide.

By the way, my molding color in my coach is Portsmouth oak. I found Minwax Colonial Oak is almost a dead ringer.

Ran out of time today, will have to continue next weekend.

If anyone has any different ideas, please share with us.

Regards Jim P.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

HI Guys:

Almost done with my rear TV install. I have the brackets and supports installed, the TV mounting bracket installed and the TV was mounted and set up and plays well.

I am working on filling in the space between the top and bottom inside the mouldings of original cabinet, about 3 inches in top, and 4 inches on bottom.

Figured I would create another inside molding and stain it the color of my oak.

I used the original metal band inside to mount angle iron and 3/4 in oak plywood as the base mount. I also used a small L bracket at the top of the metal band screwed into the wood molding. The whole setup is much stronger than original.

Regards... Jim P.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:40 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Jim, let us see some pictures please.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:11 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Hi MBBD:

I will as soon as I am finished. I set up the TV's for easy removal, just in case I have to bag or work on one.

I can also give you the model, make, and price of the different TV mount brackets.

I couldn't find the same bracket that fit both the 32 in. Sylvania and the 22 in Dynex. Naturally they had different screw patterns on the back....grrrrrr

Now I have to fix my powered antenna also.

Regards... Jim P.
Old 05-01-2010, 08:28 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Hi Guys:

Finished at last. The damn back TV took twice as long as the front TV to figure out.

It looks pretty good, I will take a picture of the finished product tomorrow. This was my 7th day total of working on the two TV's.

I also repaired my batwing atenna that I demolished last week hitting tree limbs driving down the road with the antenna up.

Regards... Jim P.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

05 Journey Rear TV

Hey Guys,
I replaced the rear tv with a Visio 26" flat screen. You have to be square with the screen for the best viewing. I hinged a 6" wide 11 ga steel plate at the bottom, using a tee hinge welded to the plate. I installed a spring loaded plunger at the top, with a cable that protrudes out the right side of the original frame, directly above the pivot release. I had four keyholes lasered in the middle of plate on a 100mm (4") square pattern. I use four thumb screws on the back of the tv that pass through the keyholes to mount the tv from on the face of the plate. I can loosen these screws and remove the tv to use outdoors (my rv has an outside tv port). I angle tv 7 degrees when we don't have the bedroom slide out and 14 degrees with the slide out. Our heads are perpindicular to the screen with those angles. I cover the whole mechanism with black acrylic (behind the tv) and painted all the hardware black. With the tv removed there is not a big hole. Sounds complicated, but I will send photos and if I still have them drawings of the plate assembly.
Greg Spannan [email protected].
Greg Spannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:07 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

i had these on the another posting, but here is a 26 inch vizio in the bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Apr 24 2011_0307.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	10437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Apr 24 2011_0310.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	248.2 KB
ID:	10438  

Old 05-31-2011, 08:49 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

This is my Bedroom TV Took me a while figure out PIC uploads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0175.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	10669  
Old 05-31-2011, 08:53 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

This is my Main TV.

Regards... Jim P.
Attached Thumbnails