Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Rear Awning LEDs have no voltage on our 2016 Grand Tour

We have a 2016 Winnebago Grand Tour (HL floorplan). The rear awning LED strip is not getting power. I've diagnosed the issue as far as 1) its getting power coming out of the FireFly Panel that provides the voltage and 2) there is not power at the point on the roof connection before the awning wiring. The awning wires are very brittle and I'll replace them as part of fixing this issue.

Its a ZZL wire circuit and I'm trying to find the wiring path to see if I have a short or blown fuse somewhere. There are a lot of wires (bundled) running behind the refrigerator (as I look through the external hatch/door for the refrig- see picture. What I'm trying to figure out is how can I get to that wire bundle to see if there is a ZZL circuit there without have to remove the refrig. I don't think that I can access it though the pantry cabinet.

Any Suggestions or has someone had a similar issue with the rear awning light?

Thanks in advance for your help
tdjackson56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdjackson56 View Post
We have a 2016 Winnebago Grand Tour (HL floorplan). The rear awning LED strip is not getting power. I've diagnosed the issue as far as 1) its getting power coming out of the FireFly Panel that provides the voltage and 2) there is not power at the point on the roof connection before the awning wiring. The awning wires are very brittle and I'll replace them as part of fixing this issue.

Its a ZZL wire circuit and I'm trying to find the wiring path to see if I have a short or blown fuse somewhere. There are a lot of wires (bundled) running behind the refrigerator (as I look through the external hatch/door for the refrig- see picture. What I'm trying to figure out is how can I get to that wire bundle to see if there is a ZZL circuit there without have to remove the refrig. I don't think that I can access it though the pantry cabinet.

Any Suggestions or has someone had a similar issue with the rear awning light?

Thanks in advance for your help
I have found the problem with my rear awning LED lights not workong!!

The place where the very small red and black wires connect to the yellow and white 12v wire (ZZL circuit) was completely frayed and burnt through. See pics.

You have to access the connection by removing the sealant and a cover on the roof near the awning where the wires for the awning motor, lights, and wind sensor all enter the coach.

So what caused it you ask...shoddy workmanship where a technician/worker tried to shove 10 lbs of wire into a 1 lb space. It looks they used a screwdriver to shove all the wires into the space because a number of the other wires are scraped up and will need to be repaired..

I'm replacing the cheap black and red wire as they are brittle and chaffed from the external environment (and our motor Home is garaged).

Hope that this helps someone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190819_175801.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	172098   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190819_175846.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	172099  

tdjackson56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 06:30 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for posting the find and the fix ... it does help a lot. Our coach is an earlier generation but we share a common issue - the wiring is cheap and poorly done!

Tags
awning, led