Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2018, 06:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Re-sealing roof

I found quite a few spots on my roof channel that were separated allowing the roof to move in the channel. I started on the passenger side yesterday. Took frigging 3hrs to remove the old silicone, and what looked like a layer of self leveling caulk on top.

One side down one more to go. I burned up 3 and a half tubes of silicone in the one side. I'm hoping I won't have to redo this anytime soon.

For those of you who have re done the silicone, how long did it hold up between cleaning/re-application?
ACDNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I may be mistaken but I thought I read recently that silicone isn't the best sealer for RV roofs. Before you do the other side you might want to check a Winnebago chart of approved sealants.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Silicone isn't recommended but there have been reports of people calling Winnie and them saying that silicon is fine. Generally, though pretty sure it's a no-no. You can call Winnie and get a PDF of the call outs of all the caulking products recommended for your RV and where they're used. Along with updated recommendations of type...which do change over time.

Personally, I didn't want to mess with any caulking on the roof edges myself, so I used 2" wide Eternabond tape. Hopefully, it'll last for years without need for repeated re-work. So far it looks perfect.

You might get some ideas by reading my blog post about roof work done on a '02 Winnebago Journey: Roof and Roof items... | Chaos Leaves Town

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 04:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Guess I should have clarified when I say "silicone" I use it in the generic way. I used the winnebago reccomended sealant, which in my case is a silicone based product but not pure silicone
Old 10-04-2018, 10:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDNate View Post
Guess I should have clarified when I say "silicone" I use it in the generic way. I used the winnebago reccomended sealant, which in my case is a silicone based product but not pure silicone

'Caulking' would be a generic term for it. But, we in the word police will let you off with a warning this time. Next time, you're buying the beer.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
'Caulking' would be a generic term for it. But, we in the word police will let you off with a warning this time. Next time, you're buying the beer.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Not sure how long warranty is? I have a newer coach, and it’s 10 years.
mikeannetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Mine is a 2008. Warranty not a concern at this point. I'm just trying to stay ahead of all the maintenance so I don't have to post a "lost my roof" thread on here.
Old 10-06-2018, 04:51 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Make sure you check the Gutter channel attachment to the side of the coach. When I resealed mine, I had to replace 80% of the screws as the heads were broken off.

The pictures came out sideways. The first shows The Gutter extrusion on my coach. The second shows how the roof is framed ( Taken at the factory)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1264.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	170377   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1246.JPG
Views:	453
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	170378  

Old 10-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Sealing gutter to fiber glass roof

I have 2003 journey the fiber glass roof should not be sealed to the gutter rail the fiberglass roof material needs room to expand and contract what little water seeps in will be carried away on the inner gutter look at your end view picture closely
dalton134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalton134 View Post
I have 2003 journey the fiber glass roof should not be sealed to the gutter rail the fiberglass roof material needs room to expand and contract what little water seeps in will be carried away on the inner gutter look at your end view picture closely
Um. Maybe were using different language to say the same thing but check this video out. start at 9:30 where the guy discusses application of the sealant.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:29 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

The Fiberglas is sealed to the roof edge aluminum at the factory when built. It is also called out as a yearly inspection item to maintain the 10 year warranty to the original owner. This was explained to me at the factory during a visit. The sealant used is called out on the sealant call-out sheet. This is a copy of the roof portion of the call-out sheet for my coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sealant.png
Views:	633
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	170399  
Old 10-10-2018, 11:09 PM   #13
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
Silicone isn't recommended but there have been reports of people calling Winnie and them saying that silicon is fine. Generally, though pretty sure it's a no-no. You can call Winnie and get a PDF of the call outs of all the caulking products recommended for your RV and where they're used. Along with updated recommendations of type...which do change over time.

Personally, I didn't want to mess with any caulking on the roof edges myself, so I used 2" wide Eternabond tape. Hopefully, it'll last for years without need for repeated re-work. So far it looks perfect.

You might get some ideas by reading my blog post about roof work done on a '02 Winnebago Journey: Roof and Roof items... | Chaos Leaves Town
I agree with Jim_HiTek. You want to use the right sealant as there are lots of different roofing materials for RVs, I believe, even within the same manufacturer for the different lines. Do the job correctly the first time and save yourself from having to redo the job again in another year or two. Silicone is good stuff, but it may not adhere as well as you think and not stand up to the UV rays as well as other products. Winnebago web site will be able to tell you which sealant is best for the different areas on your rig.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:26 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

We have a '98 Chieftain &, of course, had the same problem. I used Eternabond Tape on roof seams & end caps 5 years ago & it still looks & seals great! Be sure to clean the seal area well & definitely use the surface prep spray Eternabond sells. Our RV in out in the hot FL sun all day & no problems. BTW, Eternabond was a great company to work with!
we_travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:44 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalton134 View Post
Advice like that is one sure way to lose your roof.
Old 10-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

1989 ELANDAN according to Winabego they have no list of what they used, need to redo my roof have a tiny leak back section right where the fiberglass joints the aluminum roof. if you know about elandans the roof is boh glass and aluminumt
djlgnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:06 PM   #17
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Check this web site for your needs I'm sure someone there will be able to help you.

https://dicorproducts.com/product/epdm-lap-sealants/

Good luck. If this doesn't work out, you can always move to the desert southwest or Death Valley... Rain? What rain?!
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:49 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Hmmm! I think I may go this direction. I need to seal the roof on my 1987 Sunflyer. I can see separation at the seams in several places. I have no evidence of a problem, per se, but come on. It's Oregon.

I am dreading this job. Regardless of what product I use, of course I will have to remove the old material, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by we_travel View Post
We have a '98 Chieftain &, of course, had the same problem. I used Eternabond Tape on roof seams & end caps 5 years ago & it still looks & seals great! Be sure to clean the seal area well & definitely use the surface prep spray Eternabond sells. Our RV in out in the hot FL sun all day & no problems. BTW, Eternabond was a great company to work with!
Old 10-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

If it's a big chore, take some pics and contact Eternabond directly, ask them if they have some products that will help with the removal of the old caulking and prep'ing the surface for application of Ebond tape.

I don't think you can go wrong by sealing those seams with Ebond. Providing you prep the surface and apply during a dry warm spell.

Old 10-16-2018, 05:37 PM   #20
CoveredWagon

At least you caught your before the roof flew off! I took a short trip last year (200 miles) When I stopped, I opened my awning and went inside. The next morning, I noticed the entire passenger side of my roof was loose! Sticking straight out instead of tucked into the channel! I tucked it back in and hoped to make it home! After I got home, I found that I should have inspected the sealant 2 times per year! I replaced sealant on both sides. This year I found that the driver's side was cracked and loose, s I re-sealed it. I will keep my eyes on the passenger side, but so far it seems OK.
CoveredWagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof, seal