Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2019, 10:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Radio

My RV has a Magnadyne radio/cd/cassette/wb radio in it. I am wondering if any of the wires coming out of the back could allow me to connect to external music supple such as a usb music player or to my android phone? Please see attached pictures.

thank you
alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191225_152149.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	172594   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191225_150037.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	172595  

Alan Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #2
Site Team

Your picture of the back only has a couple cables showing and likely not what you need.
EDIT: That black cable hanging may be an AUX input which would work to go from your phone's headphone jack (assuming it has one) to the stereo on AUX.
Being as it's a casette and appears to be a double DIN, I'd tell you to start looking for a repalcement that allows bluetooth or at the least has an AUX input. We've got a huge Jensen in our RV that seems to be at least 4 DIN which is a PITA to deal with for a replacement.
Old 12-26-2019, 10:40 AM   #3
Just Trying to Help

Alan-

First off, welcome to winnieowners!

Second, you should add a signature to your user profile. It usually includes the year, make and model of your coach, but can include other information. A signature is appended to each post. To create/edit a signature, click on the "User CP" link in the orange bar at the top, then click on "Edit Signature."

Here is a link to the manual for that radio. The red and white RCA connectors allow you to connect an external audio source to the radio.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 11:08 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks

Here is another picture taken from the bottom of the radio. It list what the wires are for.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191225_152158.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	206.8 KB
ID:	172596  
Old 12-26-2019, 11:48 AM   #5
Site Team

According to your newest photo of the sticker on the bottom of the unit. It looks like you could get a bluetooth audio device and plug it into your Red (pos) and White (neg) Aux input cables.

The black wire is an IR remote sensor for using an infrared remote control which you might have or be able to buy.

You don't have to use a bluetooth audio device to use your phone, but you'd still need some kind of junction box or special cable to connect your phone to the Aux input RCA cables. That's why I suggested getting a bluetooth adapter.

Here's one - https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Boa.../dp/B00JAPZRH2

With an adapter like this you could play audio from your phone without any cables connected to the radio.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:01 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Here's one sort of cable that will work for you.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Stereo/dp/B01D5H8JW0/

$7 on Amazon Prime, or you might find one locally.

SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 02:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I believe the multi-pin connector is for an external SiriusXM receiver add-on module. I belive the white and red RCA connectors are for an aux audio input. The button on the front of your Magnadyne that says MODE likely cycles thru your choices and one of them should be AUX or something like that. The SiriusXM choice likely does not show up UNLESS you have a add-on module plugged into that multi-pin connector.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 08:14 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

As a different option and info for your back pocket, Magnadyne does make an adaptor kit that will allow you to replace your larger radio with a more standard size.

https://magnadyne.com/magnadyne-m99x...g-adapter-kit/

You might find it easier just to replace that old radio with something more modern that has Bluetooth, USB connections etc already built in. It's what I did, only took about 1 hour.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 12:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Or, since you have a cassette player, you could simply use an adapter. It's quick, easy, and inexpensive.

To add bluetooth capability.
https://www.amazon.com/Aluratek-ABCT...96679992&psc=1

To add an Aux In line
https://www.amazon.com/Gezan-Audio-A...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Old 12-27-2019, 02:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I think I have the same radio in my 2004 Adventurer. I have audio cable connected to the radio. Not sure which connector in your picture it was. Maybe the red one. Other end is 3.5mm that plugs into my iPhone. Set mode on radio to Aux. you have control music on your phone. With my iPhone 10 I had get an adapter as they did away with the headphone jack on the iPhone. The big round cable off the radio might be for a CD changer. Just a guess. There might be a blue tooth device out there that might plug into that cable. As suggested you could just update the radio. Mine still works an meets my needs. With the iPhone adapter I can also play XM radio stations via the iPhone app. Now that XM added streaming as part of a subscription. Have watch data usage unless you on WiFI.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:32 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Radio

Alan, I'm sure glad you asked this question. I have the same radio and I would like to replace for a couple of reasons. It is not backlit and I can't see down there while driving to read the display because it is down in a dark area of the dash. A friend gave me a Sirius satellite plug & play setup to use but the original radio does not have an "in" port and when look at the back of the radio, I get discouraged because of all the wires, the surround sound, etc. I've only been wrestling with this issue for the 10 years I've owned it.

Now I have a source that I think I can use to upgrade this radio.

I appreciate all the feedback from members you got, it helps alot. Good luck on your changeout and let us know what you did please.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Those radios are 1 1/2 din, as opposed to 1 din 2 din these are are the measurement figures used in the industry
You can buy an adapter that will let you install a single or 1 din radio unit. But there is no room to cut out the opening. And install a double. Or 2 din radio. I have this same setup in me Brave.
HotMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 08:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post

Here's one - https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Boa.../dp/B00JAPZRH2

With an adapter like this you could play audio from your phone without any cables connected to the radio.
That's what I do in my '04 with the same radio. Easy. No reason to switch to a newer radio.

And to the poster who mentioned it not being backlit. It has backlighting. Yours must be burned out.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:53 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Alan,
Like Mark stated, it's always nice to know what kind of make/model/year/chassis etc. we're dealing with, just in case some or, many might have the same unit or, close to it. Now, in this case, as you can see in the pic below, we have the same identical radio. No, you don't need to change radios, go to any form of Blue tooth or anything. Your radio will support an external or, "AUXILLIARY" input.

And, the cables you are displaying, will do the trick, for hooking things up. What you'll also see in that picture below is, a stand-alone Sirius Radio, mounted below the dash. That radio plugs into the auxiliary input jack, I believe it's your black on hanging down. Now, if and when you do this, all you need to do is, push the *MODE* button on your radio. Pushing that button will lead you through CD, FM and, AUX. Once you select AUX, whatever you have plugged into the backside cables, will play through your speakers. It's pretty simple.
Scott
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1843[4860].jpg
Views:	92
Size:	301.1 KB
ID:	172640  
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio