Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2006, 08:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Today I began the process of removing the leaking heater core on my Journey. Thanks to the excellent instructions posted by BattChief in April, I was able to tilt the lower front cap and remove the core in about 2 1/4 hours. I was able to do this without assistance by carefully following the instructions. The only problem I anticipate during the install of new core is those pesky clamps on the box. I may use wire ties instead as suggested by someone else on the forum.

I posted some photos of the project in the photo section....awaiting approval.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 08:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Today I began the process of removing the leaking heater core on my Journey. Thanks to the excellent instructions posted by BattChief in April, I was able to tilt the lower front cap and remove the core in about 2 1/4 hours. I was able to do this without assistance by carefully following the instructions. The only problem I anticipate during the install of new core is those pesky clamps on the box. I may use wire ties instead as suggested by someone else on the forum.

I posted some photos of the project in the photo section....awaiting approval.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:28 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Your wish Sir....

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:29 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 04:04 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Gary,

Great job on taking the pictures. They go along well with the instructions we've seem previously.

Once you complete the project we'll have a complete thread on the process.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Joe: didn't include the pics of my busted knuckles .

Actually, this wasn't as bad as I had anticipated.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Gary....glad to hear you got the new heater core in with major issues...Did you get anOEM replacement of did you have a heay duty one made...I got the OEM from Fridgette as I need it installed prior to a scheduled trip....I also spray painted my clips orange so I could find them when they flew off....only lost 2 that way...I also put a bead of silicone along the joint in case the case didn't close up tight.. like you I would do it again if needed myself....Also don't forget to ground a nipple on the core with a hose clamp and wire to the frame per Fridgerette recommendation....believe it, there is .5 volts flowing along with the coolant....this will limit electrolysis...good luck....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 05:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I ordered the OEM core today from SCS. Two local radiator shops gave me prices on a new core but both were double what SCS wanted. I will make sure I ground one of the inlets. My old core developed a small high pressure leak right in the middle of the core.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the post, great job, and by the way would you be willing to replace mine for me??
Seriously, I would be gratefull if you could give me the contact info for SCS as I guess I'm
next in line for a new core!
Thanks
Ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

ACE:

SCS Fridgette, 800-433-2910.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Well I got the new core and replaced it today. Almost lost my religion but finally got the job done.

A few follow-up hints/suggestions for anyone who might find the need to do this job:

1. Read BattChief's directions...they are great!

2. The SCS core comes with foam on both ends and, as BattChief suggested, it is a very tight fit in that enclosure. If you remove the gold (lower, inlet) fitting before you insert the core and spray both ends of the core with some silicone, that baby slides in the enclosure fairly easily.

3. While I was able to lower the front cap and remove the core without assistance, I was not able to hoist the box with the new core, hold it in postion and get clips on it without assistance. I tried several times to figure a way to do it to no avail. I needed help from a neighbor and suspect a second set of hands will be needed for this step.

Otherwise, all went will and my Journey now has its face back on .
Old 08-26-2007, 09:00 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

i would like to know how to get the instruction to remove the cover to get to the core the pitures are great but would like the step by step from battchief thank you [email protected]
nanasheetz is offline   Reply With Quote