Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2006, 11:45 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Did a search for both items below and found 13 pages but very little on both topics so, here we go with a few questions.
Picking up new 06 36G Meridian Thursday. All the Literature states these coaches come with a CB antenna. None is on this unit. Not sure if the famous plastic bag under the dash is even there just yet. I find this really strange as my former DP Adventurer came with one standard. Did yours come with one? Thoughts? Comments?
When servicing Generator (Onan 7.5KW), it looks like the filter and oil fill hole are fairly accessible. Any advice or tricks you have learned for maintenance?
Thanks everyone for your help all these years.
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Did a search for both items below and found 13 pages but very little on both topics so, here we go with a few questions.
Picking up new 06 36G Meridian Thursday. All the Literature states these coaches come with a CB antenna. None is on this unit. Not sure if the famous plastic bag under the dash is even there just yet. I find this really strange as my former DP Adventurer came with one standard. Did yours come with one? Thoughts? Comments?
When servicing Generator (Onan 7.5KW), it looks like the filter and oil fill hole are fairly accessible. Any advice or tricks you have learned for maintenance?
Thanks everyone for your help all these years.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I know that for '07 Winnebago stopped installing the CB antennas. I would assume Itasca would follow suit. Depending on when yours was built (in 06) they may have discontinued the antenna before the model year changeover (which occurred early spring).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:13 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Pusherman: Thanks so much for a quick reply. That answers the CB part. This coach was manufactured in April which falls into your "late spring time frame". In lieu of this information, any suggestions as to how to rig up an antenna that would look good. Anyone know how much trouble it would be to due a roof mount installation and how do you get the coax down to the dash since it is after the fact?
Old 12-23-2006, 07:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

hello funtime..our meridian was mfg Feb 06 and had CB Ant instl on roof as well as wiring stashed under dash. Check genset instl to be sure coolant can be drained when the time comes. ours was mounted with the drain valve installed behind crossmember making it impossible to drain coolant when the time comes.. Had dealer move genset back (rearward) about 1". Demand pump is very noisy (aren't they all)? Take a look at the hatch cover for the genset to make sure that the glue is holding the door on properly--ours was catty wompus and after inspection determined glue had separated from the frame-dealer reglued it on straight. Front dr side basement compartment will probably leak through the light fixture and pass side fwd comp will leak from the front (behind the wheel). I sealed the screwholes with clear caulk/glue and sprayed undercoating (rubberized) on all exterior surfaces of both compartments-so far so good. Overall, am completely satisfied with the coach. Problems encountered were typical assy line issues and were quickly resolved. Hope your dealer is close by because warranty issues are very difficult (read impossible) to get serviced by any other dealer except where you purchased the coach. Winny warranty service dealer network leaves a lot to be desired. In my case, I am weeding out the dealerships that will not be on my list of dealers worthy of my business. Oh yeah, take a good look at cabinet doors and hinges. Assy line process lends itself to overdriving wood screws and hinges come loose pretty quickly. Hope this post helps, enjoy the coach. We love ours.

07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:52 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Fun Time --

You need a 'no-ground' CB antenna due to the fact that the coach is made of fiberglass. If you google 'no-ground CB Antennas' you will find a selection of them. One brand I am looking at is Firestik. There are a couple ways to mount them. Roof top (but that will add another 2-3 feet of clearance) and side mounts.

I am looking for a solution for my coach, but I have yet to decide what type I will use.

If you do mount a rooftop antenna, it actually is pretty simple to route the coax down the side of the pillar along the front windshield. To gain access to your roof pull off the molding strip which runs across the front ceiling in front of the TV. You should be able to open up the roof area there to mount an antenna.

I am leaning towards a side-mount antenna. Looking to mount it on the drivers side between the windshield and the driver's side window. I haven't measured yet, but I think that same moulding covers where the antenna would be bolted to the side of the unit.

Let me know if you figure anything out. I'm next.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-25-2006, 09:23 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Chief and Pusherman:
Thanks guys for responding, you both have been a huge help.
Chief-Your part about the generator is excellent and I will check this when I pick it up on Thursday Dec. 28. This is our second Winny DP so the dealer is close by. Also I will check for leaks in the compartment. I printed your reply to take with me for the final inspection. I did check the front hatch to the gen. before hand and so far it appears the glue is good.
Pusherman-What are your thoughts on using a glass mounted CB antenna mounted on the upper part of the drivers side window (much like a stick on cell antenna)? Radio Shack sells them for $62.00. Being a two part antenna, the coax
could be routed down the corner chase and behind the dash. They are "no-ground" antenna's according to the salemen.
Thanks again guys....much appreciated
Old 12-25-2006, 11:03 AM   #8

Hello
Ours came with a CB ant.
see signature
Marry Christmas

Scratch & Goose
Old 12-25-2006, 05:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I have 06 Meridian built in March of 06 with CB antenna and cable under dash with cable in the bag. Very few problems; the wiring holes in the back of the nightstands were not sealed.

Steering usually pulls to right. When we took delivery tires had 120 psi which made steering jumpy, I now run at 85 in rear and 95 in front, steering is better.

I changed the rubber duckie antenna for the AM/FM radio to whip type and radio is now usable.

Dealer screwed up baseplate installation and did poor job wiring MH to toad wiring, check their work!
Old 12-26-2006, 06:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Fun Time,

Glass mount antennas are 'OK' but I think the other direct mount types will work better (they have more gain). If you do use the glass mount from radio shack it must be mounted on the front windshield, as the other glass is thermo-pane and glass mount antennas will not work thru thermo-pane (insulated glass).

It clearly is a simpler installation and may be worth the tradeoff. If you get the antenna tuned (assuming it is tunable) via an SWR meter, it may work just fine for what you want it to do.

Again, let me know how it works for you. I will be mounting one this spring. I too have considered the glass mount due to its simplicity of installation.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-26-2006, 04:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

On our 2006 Journey (manufactured in May 2005) the CB antenna was installed at the factory, but it was not in an upright position, instead, it was laying horizontally on the roof. You just had to loosen the mounting and point it upright and then tune it. In the down position you could not see it unless you went up on the roof.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:15 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I am picking it the new Meridian Thursday (tomorrow) and stop by today to make sure they were preping things. This is when I climbed up on the roof and sure enough, no CB antenna. Looked under the dash and sure enough, the famous plastic bag was there but less one coax. I learned today, on some "price pointed" models such as this one they did not include the CB antenna or the entrance door awning. While this coach does have the full body paint and painted stripes and several other very nice options certain items were not included to lower the MSRP some.
I am not going to complain one bit since the deal I received was extremely fair including giving me top dollar for my old coach. No complaints from this guy. I can add a few of the missing items myself. Thanks to all for your help.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:01 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Just as well no CB antenna was installed at factory, my 2004 Meridian has one and in 3 years have never been able to tune in the SWR where I could use the CB. No wonder they quit installing them, they are worthless.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:22 AM   #14
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Forget about the electric door awning. Do yourself a favor and have them install the old fashond pull down door awning. The electric ones are nothing but problems. Good luck!!
Old 12-28-2006, 03:30 AM   #15
Administrator Emeritus

Never heard another RV'er on the CB and I've only used it sparingly to hear what an issue is up ahead as most of the time the language from the professional drivers leaves a lot to be desired.

Would recommend using the roof space instead for a cellular booster antenna....

Visit fellow Winnebago member John Canfield's RV page HERE
for this and many other mods he has made to his Itasca Horizon.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:39 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

Agree with Bob on the CB.....doesn't seem to be used by anyone other than truckers and many of them use foul language. I guess the days of the cell phone have pretty much made CB's obsolete for most folks.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote