Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2014, 08:09 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctaurie1 View Post
Nick,

On the chassis, the A/C needed re-charging and also needed an alignment.

These issues are relatively minor and should be easy to correct. However, many of these should have been avoidable.
Alignment needed of the chassis is normal, Frieghtliner does it at their factory, but most rv manufactures do not repeat it after installing the house on the chassis. The thought behind this is you are going to load it with your personal belongings & then it should be aligned again.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:16 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
Alignment needed of the chassis is normal, Frieghtliner does it at their factory, but most rv manufactures do not repeat it after installing the house on the chassis. The thought behind this is you are going to load it with your personal belongings & then it should be aligned again.
This is true. But if you consider that the chassis is all that they have the alignment is not trustworthy after the RV components and load are on board.

This is my third Freightliner based coach. They all tend to pull to the right for me. I think it may be due to how I drive the road crown. I have had many alignments over the years but I have never had it done correctly until this last time.

A coach alignment is different than a car. I have two axles and weigh in around 38,000 pounds. The load distribution is not the same for each coach, especially after the owner has all his stuff in it. With this in mind what follows may make more sense.

When I was at Freightliner in Gaffney, SC I learned a lot about this topic. First they weighed each corner of the coach. Then they adjusted the ride height. Then they adjusted the alignment.

For tag axles carrying load of the tag may be too high. This is also corrected when the coach is weighed. Even though this component is "self adjusting" if the reference point is not correct the "self adjustment" will be wrong.

To compensate for the inherent pull I have install a BluOx TrueCenter control. I have not driven the coach since doing this but all of the reports I have read it seems to help very much with cross winds and the road crown problem.

About the chassis AC? I had a bad seal and mounting on the pump in my last coach. The a/c shop down the street from Happy Trails, Garland, TX (I I recall correctly) did the work. I recommend them.

Enjoy your coach. You have a nice rig.

Rick Y

Tags
journey