Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Propane quick disconnect

Hi, looking for some help.

We have a 2018 Sunstar 30t. It has an external quick disconnect propain hook up. I have tried to use our gas grill using this and haven’t had any luck. It will light, but can’t adjust the flame high enough for cooking. The grille we are using has a regulator built in to the controls. Could that be the problem?

Is the quick disconnect line already regulated?

I have asked local dealer, with out any success, so l thought l would come here for some help.

Thanks
Wonderdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Yes, that line may already be regulated. Two choices: Get a low pressure grill or try to connect yours without the regulator.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Winnebago propane outlets are at the pressure of the 2 stage regulator, 10-11" water col. , aproximately 0.4 PSI. The pressure of a propane vapor leaving a bottle un-regulated is well over 80 PSI and much higher if the bottle is at or above room temperature. So you are passing 0.4 PSI into a double regulator designed for 80 PSI. This is why you can't get a proper flame.

The problem is that few propane grill double regulators output 10-11" water col. so you can't just bypass the regulator and go directly to the burner valves. That does not work right either. Many regulators designed to drive propane burners do around 5-6" water col.

You can do some youtube video research or read various threads on IRV2.com and find some solutions that other RVers have cobbled together.

Good luck.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I just converted my Weber Q2200 run on the RV gas line. Since the RV line was already regulated, I had to remove the regulator from the Weber. This left a 1/8" male NPT thread to connect to. I used a 1/8" female to 1/4" female connector as the first connection and then connected the 1/4" Male NPT Quick Disconnect fitting to mate up to the hose. A quick and easy mod. As Powercat says above, there may be differences between grills in terms of whether or not they operate OK at the pressure of the Winnebago propane outlet, but at least in my case with the WeberQ2200, it seems to operate OK.

The fitting used came from Amazon as below:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Propane...JEPDEYRKTN6BPW

You can find some additional info at this other forum post:

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...ne-353825.html
TMac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac99 View Post
I just converted my Weber Q2200 run on the RV gas line. Since the RV line was already regulated, I had to remove the regulator from the Weber. This left a 1/8" male NPT thread to connect to. I used a 1/8" female to 1/4" female connector as the first connection and then connected the 1/4" Male NPT Quick Disconnect fitting to mate up to the hose. A quick and easy mod. As Powercat says above, there may be differences between grills in terms of whether or not they operate OK at the pressure of the Winnebago propane outlet, but at least in my case with the WeberQ2200, it seems to operate OK.

The fitting used came from Amazon as below:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Propane...JEPDEYRKTN6BPW

You can find some additional info at this other forum post:

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...ne-353825.html
I did the same thing TMac did successfully, works good.

I removed the regulator on my blackstone and it works great as well.

I think you need to remove the regulator as the camper has a regulator already installed from what I believe.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

those links no worky
Old 03-09-2019, 10:05 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Not sure why the links broke, but here is an updated set. Incase they fail again, search Amazon for:
Legines Brass Pipe Fitting, 1/4" NPT Female x 1/8" NPT Female Reducing Coupling
and
DOZYANT Propane Brass Quick Connect Fitting Adapter- Full Flow Male Plug x 1/4" Male NPT for RV Portable BBQ

https://www.amazon.com/DOZYANT-Propa...-garden&sr=1-9
Old 03-09-2019, 10:26 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac99 View Post
Not sure why the links broke,
Here's an FYI on why your link was broken. I can see the problem. You must have copied them from another post somewhere and you copied the truncated visible link not the "link location".

When you post a long link it shows up visibly shortened in the thread with "..." in the middle of the shortened part of the link. The forum software does this for viewing only but the whole link is still there.

But, if you copy it from a post that you are viewing and you use the "copy" command to capture it then the shortened link that is visible is copied rather than if you choose "copy link location ".

So, you posted this link - see the "..." that's the missing part:

The full link looks like this - and is what you posted the second time:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07486QJKK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-09-2019, 10:59 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Creativepart - Thanks for taking the time to explain the broken link. Much appreciated and it will save me from making that same mistake again.
Old 03-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all!

Our RV is at the dealership getting the last glitches taken care of before the warranty is up. I’ll try the recommendations and see if l can get it to work as soon as we get it back.

I thought the quick disconnect line was probably regulated and that was the problem, but wanted to get some educated opinions.

Thanks again!
Old 03-09-2019, 08:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Personally I never used the quick disconnect on my TT and I don't even know if my current MH has one. I like the flexibility of a small 2 gal or so tank. I can take it to the picnic table, my friend's RV or wherever. Just remember to re-fill it only when also filling a larger tank so you don't get hit with a minimum charge.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 08:50 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thank TMac!
Old 03-10-2019, 08:53 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I do carry the small green disposable tanks. I have an 11 lb LP tank I used to carry in the pickup, but technically I have no place to carry it on board the MH that is properly vented. The newer all electric DP Winnies actually put a 25 lb tank in where the ASME tank used to be just to feed that quick connect, or you can remove it and use it by your camp. That would be nice.
Old 03-10-2019, 11:19 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Personally I never used the quick disconnect on my TT and I don't even know if my current MH has one. I like the flexibility of a small 2 gal or so tank. I can take it to the picnic table, my friend's RV or wherever. Just remember to re-fill it only when also filling a larger tank so you don't get hit with a minimum charge.
That is basically what l have and am using now. I purchased an adapter from eBay to refill my 1lb. from my 20 lb. home grill tank, which works great. I guess I was just looking for an excuse to use my quick disconnect propane hookup.

Tags
propane