Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2009, 12:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Hello, I have recently purchased a 1989 Winnebago Elandan, but I'm having some problems keeping it started. It starts just fine and runs for about one to two minutes and then just shuts off, But if you pump the peddle and start it again it runs fine for another one to two minutes. The person I purchased it from said it might be the carburetor but was not sure. It appears to have a new carburetor on it and all of the moving parts seem to work fine.

Any suggestions on what the problem could be?

Thanks.
lbm180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Hi lbm, welcome to the forum. You should give us some more info, Such as engine make and size, chassis etc. I would start by replacing any and all fuel and air filters. If that doesn't do it next find and check the fuel pump. Good luck.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 02:03 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by lbm180:
Hello, I have recently purchased a 1989 Winnebago Elandan, but I'm having some problems keeping it started. It starts just fine and runs for about one to two minutes and then just shuts off, But if you pump the peddle and start it again it runs fine for another one to two minutes. The person I purchased it from said it might be the carburetor but was not sure. It appears to have a new carburetor on it and all of the moving parts seem to work fine.

Any suggestions on what the problem could be?

Thanks.
It could be any number of things:

1 - Clogged air filter.

2 - Clogged fuel filters (one may be in the inlet of the carb and may be pleater paper or sintered bronze)

3 - Debris in carborator (possible with no fuel filter, due to stale fuel/ethanol seperation or ethanol damage to fuel system components).

4 - Choke not adjusted correctly.

5 - Choke element heater.

6 - Choke vacuume pulldown.

7 - Carborator vent plugged.

8 - Carborator float set too low.

9 - Low fuel pump pressure.

10 - High fuel pump pressure.

Work your way down the list and go through the process of elimination. You will need a spec sheet for the carb as it is supposed to be setup for that engine, a good set of drill bits to use as choke gauges, float gauge/measure, flare wrenches, vacuume/fuel pump gauge or a good mechanic.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I second what Chas A says. Sounds like a fuel pump or clogged filter to me. Start with the cheapest replacement first.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:04 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

My bet is on the fuel pick-up system in the carb bowl. Could be dirt or water bubbles rolling around near the needle seat.

The accelerator pump is a separate circuit, but draws gas from the same bowl. If it is pumping raw gas into the manifold, then the bowl has gas.

But then, it has been awhile since I've worked on one.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

A little more info, its a 454 Chevy, and im not sure what the chassis is called but its the single rear wheel model.

I picked up a new fuel and air filter today but will not have time to put them in until tomorrow, ill all so take a look at the choke on the carb.

thanks everyone for your help, I hope to figure out what the deal is soon.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by lbm180:
A little more info, its a 454 Chevy, and im not sure what the chassis is called but its the single rear wheel model.

I picked up a new fuel and air filter today but will not have time to put them in until tomorrow, ill all so take a look at the choke on the carb.

thanks everyone for your help, I hope to figure out what the deal is soon.
On the fuel filter there may be two or more. The older Rochesters have a small one inside the inlet of the carburator behind the flare nut while some have a filter that screws onto the inlet. Then there may be one in the fuel line between the fuel pump and the carb and there could be another one between the fuel pump and the gas tank.

It may be a Rochester Quadrajet and there is some complexity to it that does not react well to lack of use. I rebuilt a number of them in the late 70's.

BTW: Are you sure that it has a carburator? Since around 1987 the 454 truck engine had Throttle Body Fuel Injection available which can look like a carb at first glance but is not. When you take off the air filter there will be two fuel injectors pointing down into the air horn (one on each side).

See GM TBI FOR CHEVROLET/GMC 1987-90 7.4 454 ENGINE:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...ies#ebayphotohosting
Old 01-31-2009, 04:40 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

We had an 89 Pace Arrow with the P-30 chassis and it had the Qudra-Jet carb. The throttle body was not added to this chassis until 90 or 91 if I remember correctly.

The Qudra-Jet is a real beast to work on and get the metering set up correctly. Best bet is find an old hot-rodder to help on the carb.

But first you need to check the filters (I believe there are two on this rig), fuel delivery pressure and also the fuel delivery amount.

Another issue with these engines was the spark plug wires. You might as well spring fro the big $$$ and get a Lifetime guarantee set with the ceramic insulators. The way the manifolds and wires run, it burns up sparkplug wires.

Ken <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre>
Old 01-31-2009, 08:11 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally posted by TXiceman:
We had an 89 Pace Arrow with the P-30 chassis and it had the Qudra-Jet carb. The throttle body was not added to this chassis until 90 or 91 if I remember correctly.

The Qudra-Jet is a real beast to work on and get the metering set up correctly. Best bet is find an old hot-rodder to help on the carb.

But first you need to check the filters (I believe there are two on this rig), fuel delivery pressure and also the fuel delivery amount.

Another issue with these engines was the spark plug wires. You might as well spring fro the big $$$ and get a Lifetime guarantee set with the ceramic insulators. The way the manifolds and wires run, it burns up sparkplug wires.

Ken <pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> </pre>
Ken,

You are making me feel old now. I rebuilt several Quadrajets back in the day for myself and a few friends and they were tedious but no that bad.

A Jiffy Kit use to have all the disposible gauges in it and made it pretty straight forward. You did have to take care to get the tapered or stepped metering rods set up right. I still have my exhaust gas analyser which does help with the verification that you didn't set them too lean however most newer cats don't have the port to support its use.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

How long has it been sitting? I had the same symptoms on a Ranchero that I had. It turned out to be the fuel sock in the tank was cloging. There was alot of debris in the tank. Just a thought.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally posted by mountainkowboy:
How long has it been sitting? I had the same symptoms on a Ranchero that I had. It turned out to be the fuel sock in the tank was cloging. There was alot of debris in the tank. Just a thought.
Its been in my drive way for just over a week, but the guy i bought it from said it set for 8 months at the place it was stored.

Yeah Im sure its a carb, i adjusted the choke so see if that would help and it did not. new air filter too. i am having some problems finding the fuel fliter, and with what TXiceman said i need to find the other.

and mountainkowboy, ill take a look at that aswell as soon as i get time.

thanks all.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:04 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I have an 89, its a Chev p30 chassis, with a carbed 454, 89 was the last year for the carb before they went to the throttle body injection. Your fuel filter should be on the inside of the right frame rail near the front. There are two fuel pumps, a mechanical one in the engine, and an electrical one in the tank. It sounds to me like it's not getting fuel, and I would be looking at the filter and flow. If the carb is new, then that tells me someone has been in there tinkering and who knows what has gone on.
bluegrasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:12 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

In additon to the filter on the frame rail, mine had a small inline filter right at the carb.

While I had mine, I did have to replace the mechanical pump at the engine.

Is the fuel tank full, or near empty?

Best of luck.