Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Problem with Journey DL underside

I have a 36-foot 2003 Journey DL. I am currently camped in Minnesota on a fishing trip. After I got here I noticed something hanging from the bottom of my coach and found that the sheet-metal cover over the fresh-water tank had rusted out and its front two feet or so had been bent down, presumably by the wind passing under the coach. This has exposed a styrofoam layer insulating the water tank.

I have called Lichtsinn to order a new sheet metal cover, and it will take 3 to 4 weeks for Winnebago to fabricate. I think I will either just bend the sheet metal up so that it doesn't drag or maybe even put a thin sheet of plywood over the opening as a stop gap until I get the new plate. In the meantime I have plans on going to Yellowstone and back over the fourth of July. It looks to me like the damaged plate isn't structural, i.e., doesn't bear the weight of the tank.

I am looking for advice as to whether traveling this way is going to be ok. I plan on going back to GNR in mid-July to pick up the new plate.

One last thing - I can obviously cut down the strain on the tank support by running the tank empty of water. Do you think this would be necessary?

Thanks for help. I hope to be back on the road in about ten days.

cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Have you called Winnebago Customer Service ... they should be able to help you determine whether or not the metal is simply a covering ... or whether it is providing support for the Water Tank

1-800-537-1885

Have you thought about asking a local sheet metal shop to fabricate a replacement covering ... they generally stock several gauges of galvanized metal ... only the roadkill will know whether it is black or shiny
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 03:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Skigramp. My first reaction was to do what you suggest; find a sheetmetal worker and have a new cover made. After talking to the locals here, they advised me to talk to Winnebago. I called Lichtsinn (mistake?) and was able to order the panel. They told me Winnebago would have to fabricate it and the cost would be $143.00. I was actually surprised it wasn't more, given ten years of experience with Winnebago parts. Anyway, I made a command decision to have it made. I will drive right through Forest City on my way home in a week or two, but the part won't be ready for 3/4 weeks.

So I have decided to wait till the part is here, but I have scheduled traveling I want to do. Looking at the bottom of the coach I can't believe it would hurt to drive it. Heck, I may have driven it a long way in its present condition. Your advice to Call Winnebago Customer Service is good; I will try to do that tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

Terry Smay

Old 06-16-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Terry,

Please keep us updated on how this works out for you. I also have rust in that area. Not nearly a severe as yours, but beyond just treating the rust and painting. I'm looking at eventually replacing it.

I think I probably have a small leak from a fitting on top of the tank, but can't find a way to access that area. I rarely completely fill the water tank - we don't do a lot of dry camping. When I do fill it, I wait till water comes out of the overflow line, shut off the fill water, and run a little water from a faucet inside to stop the overflow from dripping. Later, I sometimes notice a little dripping from between the tank enclosure sidewall and the base plate. I'm sure that's where my rust has come from and I've tried to ignore it for awhile (out of sight out of mind), but the time is coming when I'll have to deal with it. I'll be very interested in your progress and outcome.

Good luck!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I'll let you know how it turns out. I hadn't thought about an internal water leak. I think the rust was due to road salt, but I suppose it could be leaking internally.

Anyway, I have decided this morning that I am going to just bend the flap up and wire it in place until I get to someplace where they can put on the new cover.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Terry - I called Winnebago this morning and he said the bottom plate does support the weight of the tank. He said if the tank is empty it doesn't weigh much. You can take the plate off and the empty tank won't drop down much, because it's so tightly packed with styrofoam on the sides. Don't know if you need to keep it empty, but I sure would try to carry minimal water till it's fixed...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Hi guys,
I have opened up the panel that you are talking about in order to install see-level tank gauges. As you can see in the pic, I have had some rust too. But in my case, the rust occurred later because during the installation of the gauge, I moved the gate valve and it began leaking at the connection just behind the gate valve. There are also two other water fittings that could be leaking. If it were mine, I would definitely tighten all the fittings and then have an aluminum cover cut to the right size. Then I would observe for a few days and check for leaks. There is also an overflow located on the top of the tank I believe. That is, when I fill the tank to max, it overflows from the top of the tank. Dont know if this is correct as designed or if the fitting at the top has come lose. Any comments?

jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1349.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	316.2 KB
ID:	11246   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1351.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	11247  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2801.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	11248  
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for your pictures, Jim. I am having a little trouble orienting to them. The panel I am having trouble with is on the bottom of the tank below a fairly thick layer of foam insulation. Maybe after I study your pictures a bit I can figure out what you are saying.

Old 06-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

cyko,
sorry, my orientation is at one end of the entire tank. This is the end facing forward. You can tell because of the 90degree black plastic elbow.
All the comments about leaky fittings still apply.
hope this helps.
jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I have looked at the problem again and think I can rig it up quite adequately by folding up the bent flap and laying a piece of 3/4 inch plywood under it. I can clamp the plywood around the edges and provide very good support for the tank.

Thanks for checking with Winnebago for me. I am surprised that the plate supports the tank but glad to know about it. The plate is still more than half intact so it does provide some support, and the clamped plywood should be strong enough, I think.

The only way you guys could be more help would be if you would come to Minnesota and fix it for me. Any chance of that?

Old 06-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Sunny Sebastian Fl.
bobwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

I finally bit the bullet and hired a strong young man to remove 4 of the rust-frozen bolts and bolted a 3/4 inch piece of plywood over the front portion of the panel. Seems solid and I feel sure it will hold until I get the new panel. Wish I could say the same for my back. Bent over in the boat today to pick up a nightcrawler and threw out my back. This old age is not pretty.

Tags
journey