Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-20-2019, 05:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Peeling Clear Coat Paint. Which years are bad?

While looking at diesel Journeys, I see some have the clear coat peeling on the sun baked areas. I see it on the area above the windshield and all around the perimeter of the top, next to the white roof. If it is starting on the hotter areas, the rest of the pant may soon follow.

Knowing something about painting, i realize there have been paint changes due to EPA standards. Some of it not good for paint life. Of course, preparation and application are important too.

I have an '07 Adventurer with good paint (silver colors), but I see 2009, 2010 and 2011 Journeys with very bad clear coat peeling, especially with dark colors (of course). Will you folks chime in as to what year coaches, you have seen, that have this dire situation? did they correct it in later years?
Thanks, Richard
Old 01-20-2019, 09:46 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I may have the years wrong. Maybe the paint problems were corrected by 2010. Not sure of that.
Old 01-20-2019, 01:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My 2006 has the peeling clear-coat problem all along the perimeter of the roof on each side. Thinking about what to do about it. Started about 6 or 7 years after I bought it new in 2006.

Side panels are fine, only have the issue where the fiberglass roof curves down into the J channel.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Considering pre-painting

I was about to say that it was a tough call, but I now think the sensible route is to redo just the damaged areas, even though the rest of the paint may deteriorate in time, it may not. My reasoning is that the upper areas are not very visible and should be able to be blended on body creases or stripe borders. The alternative is to paint the whole coach. Far too expensive, considering that all the clear and maybe the underlying paint would need to be removed. huge job!
I used to own a Corvette shop and did a number of custom paint jobs, including some that needed complete stripping. Again, huge job. So I have experience, but nothing recent with the newer techniques.

I highly suggest Winnebago's paint shop, CDI in Forest City. I had them re-paint a long scratch along a few basement doors. They did a perfectly matching job and didn't charge much. They had to use 2 or 3 colors and clear, but the price was about $450. I think automotive paint shops would charge much more and not match as well.
Well, that's my $2 worth
Richard
Old 01-27-2019, 06:36 PM   #5
Itasca owner

Like CWHTRAINS I also have the same peeling only on the curve around the roof, the rest of the coach is perfect. It's not too big an area, I think I can order a spray can of the matching color (I have the number) then spray on some clearcoat. Really easy to mask, too. Now I just have to get around to doing it.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Using spray can paint

Using spray can paint can work with that upper area, but I strongly suggest a certain clear spray paint from actual experience.
Three years ago, I refinished yellowed headlight plastic to a nice shine, then painted them with the typical "Krylon:" type of clear. Looked great for about 6 months until the clear turned yellow. I was about to buy the real paint shop two part clear and get out my spray equipment, when I found an alternative.
SprayMax 2K Glamour High Gloss #368-0061 is an actual 2 part clear gloss in a spray can. The way they do it is to have a special punch button on the bottom, that opens the hardener capsule inside. It is good for 24 hours after the hardener is opened.

It has been over two years since I re-did the yellowed headlights and they still look like new, even though that car is left outside in the SC sun.
I highly suggest getting that exact clear paint on Amazon and using it, AFTER lightly sanding the peeled areas with 400 or 600 grit dry sandpaper. It's easier to use wet paper, but it will make a mess as it drips down and then you must dry it completely where you are painting.
Be very cautious about overspray with this paint, since it will not come off easily. Found that out on my windshield.
Good luck to all with that problem. Try to keep your RVs out of the sun, since the upper paint was done at the same moment as the rest of the coach.
Old 01-28-2019, 12:02 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2009 Journey and the body paint is perfect. The 3M plastic clear coat on the front had to be removed because mildew formed underneath. It was time consuming and difficult to remove but well worth the time and effort. I will not replace it
Katblew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint