Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Our new toy, 2004 Horizon, lots of goodies

Ladies and Gents,
Been on IRV2 a few times but not on this part, New here. The wife and I just picked up a new to us, 2004 Itasca Horizon, full body paint, 330 CAT, Alloy wheels, central vacuum, and much, much, more. This thing is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! To say the least. The PO just paid around $900.00 for some sort of treatment to the paint that's supposed to be super protectant for it and, at the same time, he paid almost the same $900.00 for a windshield protectant that's supposed to be great for the glass.

She's got right at 41K on the clock. The tires are dated "3410", all of them. The exterior is called "Slate Blue" and the interior is called "Harbor Breeze". It's got the "table and chair setup instead of the full booth dinette. It's also got the smaller fridge as apposed to the larger four door. We really like this coach. We came from a '99 34' Bounder with the V-10.

She's a ball to drive. Considerably smoother and INCREDIBLY MORE QUIET! On the way home, (578 miles worth) we had only one issue that I was not going to put up with. I had the two front tires checked for out-of-round, and out of balance. They deflated them both, rotated them on the wheels and re-inflated them and rebalanced them, using less weight than before. What a world of difference it made. I kept her at around 60 all the way home with the exception of a few miles passing some people etc. It's average fuel mpg was right at 8.1.

At present, I've got one issue I'm puzzled about. To those of you that have a similar rig, you know there's a vertical bank of switches (rockers etc) just inside the door. Among them is the patio awning "retract and extend". Just above that one is the switch to select patio or door awning.

When the selector switch is on "Door" the retract and extend switch works flawless. When the selector switch is on Patio, it has no effect on the movement of the patio awning. Now, around the corner, on the inside of that same panel, is three more rockers. One for Power and Wind sensor control, a second one for light, moderate or heavy wind, and a third, to operate the patio awning.

That switch, operates the awning just fine. In, out, in, out, all day long. Now, there's two more "extend and retract" rockers in the cabinet, above the passenger on the right. Neither of those have any effect on the operation of the awning. And, in the first outside compartment, just outside the door, is the "Weather Pro" control box. It has a tiny toggle switch for Wind sensor "enable or disable". But, there's a rocker on that box too for, yep, retract and extend. It also has no effect on moving the awning in or out.

So, out of 5 switches, only one moves the awning in and out. Hmmmmmm. I figured out how to remove that entire plastic box, with all switches attached away from the wall. Man there's a ton of wires in there. I'm no electrical genius by far so, if any one's got an idea on how and where to start, I'd surely appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Scott

P.S. I will add, that when the "retract and extend" switch on that vertical bank of switches, just inside the door, is pushed, we here a slight "click" of a relay in the Windpro box, in the outside compartment. So, that switch is trying to do something, just not opening the awning.
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:27 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Congratulations on the new ride.. Sounds like you have some investigation to do in regards to the awning. All in all if that is you need to do on your coach you are lucky.

Again best of luck..
Old 05-28-2011, 06:04 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Welcome and congrats on the MH. Sounds great. How about some pics??
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I'd congratulate you on your new rig, but without photos, it never happened.

Should you have actually bought the rig you describe, I'd wish you many happy (s)miles in it.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Scott & Karla;

Congratulations on your new to you Horizon. Sorry I can't help answer you question but you have come to the right place. I believe you should receive some answers. I would like to inform you we have a Winnebago Chat every Tuesday night at 9 PM EDT. Feel free to join us when ever you wish.

DM
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
Congratulations on the new ride.. Sounds like you have some investigation to do in regards to the awning. All in all if that is you need to do on your coach you are lucky.

Again best of luck..
Bug512,
Yep, eventually I'll figure it out, maybe. I've got one other issue that's bugging me too. My passenger side mirror only has "in and up" but no "down and out", hmmmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H... View Post
Welcome and congrats on the MH. Sounds great. How about some pics??
John H,
Thanks for the welcome and pics are below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
I'd congratulate you on your new rig, but without photos, it never happened.

Should you have actually bought the rig you describe, I'd wish you many happy (s)miles in it.
Ok, ok, here's the pics. I just didn't have any loaded 'till I had already done the post. Thanks for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
Scott & Karla;

Congratulations on your new to you Horizon. Sorry I can't help answer you question but you have come to the right place. I believe you should receive some answers. I would like to inform you we have a Winnebago Chat every Tuesday night at 9 PM EDT. Feel free to join us when ever you wish.

DM

Petro,
Thanks for your kind words and I'd like to "chime" in on the chat when I can remember it's there.

Thanks to you all. It's much appreciated. This rig is so nice. Here's some pics. More to follow.
Scott

Old 05-28-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Nice is an understatement! Enjoy.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

If you go here Winnebago Wiring Diagrams you'll find the complete wiring diagrams for your coach. You appear to have a significantly different setup than I do on my 2005 Vectra, so I can't help you with personal experience.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Who is this masked man? Former Bounder owner, retired fire guy, sure seems familiar...

Hey Scott - Welcome to the forum. I'm going to bet that these guys will help you, as much as the CC and Cummins board has helped me.

Guys - Scott and his wife did this purchase the right way. Lots of research, looking and comparing many rigs - including a hop to Texas to reject a rig that was not as advertised.

Scott will jump in and help too, as he has a solid knowledge of RV'ing.

CONGRATS again, good looking rig!!!
Smitty
(Also former Bounder owner, so I can relate on the size of this leap.)
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Now you have a mirror problem? This coach is sounding like a real lemon. I will take it off your hands for $29,000

Just post your problems here, I'm sure you will find someone who has had the same problems and can help you.

I personally have found that a lot if not most people have all the information on almost any subject or issue.

Again, great looking coach. I love that there are no slides on the passenger side of the coach. I wish both of mine were on the same side.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I wish I could help you with your questions but I don't have a clue, but I do know a great looking coach when I see one
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Something similar happened to my 2004 Meridian. At times the power awning, patio or door, simply would not work. I didn't think of the simple things first. The problem was that I left the ignition key to the "accessory" side to operate the jacks. The engineers that design this stuff are smart enough to lock out the awnings when the vehicle could be in motion. I turned the key to "off" and the awnings worked just fine.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I had that same problem with the power awning and I took the cover off that control box in the compartment just outside the door (where you heard the click). There is a reset button in there that is not accessable unless from the outside of the box. I pushed the button and its worked every time since.

Ps , Very nice rig. Enjoy and welcome to the group.
Dunnpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug512 View Post
Now you have a mirror problem? This coach is sounding like a real lemon. I will take it off your hands for $29,000

Just post your problems here, I'm sure you will find someone who has had the same problems and can help you.

I personally have found that a lot if not most people have all the information on almost any subject or issue.

Again, great looking coach. I love that there are no slides on the passenger side of the coach. I wish both of mine were on the same side.
Bug512,
29K huh, now that's a crack up. And guess what, my mirror problem is GONE!!!!!!!!!! Yep, gone. I first followed the advice of the Velvac tech support and removed the passenger problem mirror. I then removed the driver side mirror. I placed the passenger side mirror on in the receptacle and connected the plug. The wife was inside the coach and she activated all the controls and the mirror did not work on the drivers side.
I installed the drivers mirror in the passenger side arm and connected the plug. She operated all the controls and the mirror performed flawlessly. So, that tells me it's the passenger side mirror that's at fault and all the wiring to both mirrors, is just fine. So, I take the mirror to my work bench and try and figure out how to remove the glass without destroying it.

Long story short. I couldn't get the glass off so, I simply manually moved the mirror back and forth, up and down about 100 times. Then, just for the heck of it, I re-installed it on its own side, the passenger side and, guess what, it now works flawless. Maybe it just needed "stimulation" and that was it. So, both mirrors are working perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
I wish I could help you with your questions but I don't have a clue, but I do know a great looking coach when I see one
Thanks for yorur nice comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catpowered View Post
Something similar happened to my 2004 Meridian. At times the power awning, patio or door, simply would not work. I didn't think of the simple things first. The problem was that I left the ignition key to the "accessory" side to operate the jacks. The engineers that design this stuff are smart enough to lock out the awnings when the vehicle could be in motion. I turned the key to "off" and the awnings worked just fine.
I've tried all the switches, without any ignition, ignition in "Acc" and On and, no difference,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnpe View Post
I had that same problem with the power awning and I took the cover off that control box in the compartment just outside the door (where you heard the click). There is a reset button in there that is not accessible unless from the outside of the box. I pushed the button and its worked every time since.

Ps , Very nice rig. Enjoy and welcome to the group.
Dunnpe,
Well Sir, if you're referring to the "Wind Pro" sensor control box, I'm afraid there's no "reset" button in, on, or around the outside of mine. I removed the cover to expose all the wire terminals, a single fuse, two relays and of course, the printed circuit board. And after reading your reply, I was in hopes I missed the "reset" button.
Well, no such luck. there's a little tiny chrome toggle switch on the left side that's labeled, " enable and disable" the wind sensor. And, on the front (cover) there's a plastic rocker that's labeled "In and Out". That's the only movable switching on and or in this box.

To all, again, thanks for your kind comments on her. Now, if I could just inherit a few hundred grand, to fill it with some diesel once in a while, life would be great. I was lucky on my mirror, I'm pretty sure it was a simple problem of "non-use". As for the awning, I'm thinking it's in that Wind Pro sensor box but, I have no idea how to analyze it. I hear and feel the relays clicking in there when she pushes the alternate awning switches but, the awning doesn't move. I might have to revert, heaven forbid, to an expert awning repair man or an RV repair dealer to set this thing straight. There's only about a hundred miles of wires in and out of that Wind Pro sensor box and behind the plastic panel beside the passenger.

Thanks again for your thoughts, experience and assistance.
Scott
Old 05-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I can't help you with your awning question but I would like to compliment your new rig. It sure doesn't look 7 years old. Very nice.
cliff841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:21 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Scott,

Congratulations on a superb coach. Absolutely beautiful! I'm sure you will like it as much as we like our Journey. A very well thought out, well built unit. I think you did well waiting for the right deal, and getting what really makes you happy. That's a gorgeous coach, and I imagine it will give you many great adventures.

Ed
Old 05-30-2011, 11:55 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff841 View Post
I can't help you with your awning question but I would like to compliment your new rig. It sure doesn't look 7 years old. Very nice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Automobilist View Post
Scott,

Congratulations on a superb coach. Absolutely beautiful! I'm sure you will like it as much as we like our Journey. A very well thought out, well built unit. I think you did well waiting for the right deal, and getting what really makes you happy. That's a gorgeous coach, and I imagine it will give you many great adventures.

Ed
To the both of you,
Thank you so much for your kind comments. They're sincerely appreciated. Pictures only do so much justice. You nice folks should see her in person. Every time I walk out and look at her I get more and more astounded at just how nice this rig is. I'm always skeptical about "paint treatments" etc over the years so, I don't know what the condition of this rig was before the treatment that the PO had done to it but, it by far, is the nicest one we've looked at out of probably around 50 coaches. Barring only a 1/2 dozen very small chips here and there, it's a flawless paint job.

The special tinted aluminum awning, awning arm, slide topper covers really enhance the looks even more. I'm using some aluminum polish that you can only get online to do the wheels. They're in great condition so, my final brilliance is not too hard to obtain. Pics to follow tomorrow. Thanks again for your comments.
Scott
Old 05-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Since you have not mentioned them I would call Winnebago Customer Service (800-537-1885). They are quite helpful. If necessary, they can also get you in touch with the awning manufacturer. Winnebago has supplier phone numbers that are not the same as the typical customer service numbers.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:50 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy Flier View Post
Since you have not mentioned them I would call Winnebago Customer Service (800-537-1885). They are quite helpful. If necessary, they can also get you in touch with the awning manufacturer. Winnebago has supplier phone numbers that are not the same as the typical customer service numbers.
You know, I was going to get around to calling them. I thought I'd ask here first to see if any one's had any issues with multiple awning control switches. The PO of the coach had used Winnebago several times for info and was very pleased with response's when calls were made. I'll get with them very soon. I will also get with "Carefree of Colorado" too, to see what they think. Thanks so much for the reminder. Much appreciated.
Scott