Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Talking Our New 2012 Sightseer 33c

We've just traded up from a class C to this unit and couldn't be happier. Great floorplan, great storage, and plenty of power. I do have a couple questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with. The first attachment indicates that the chassis was built by Ford in 08/11 and the motorhome in 09/11 which would indicate a maximum of 2 months from the time the chassis left Ford until the time the motorhome rolled out of the Winnebago plant. That seems very short - is that typical? The second attachment is the allowed carrying capacity. I've heard conflicting opinions on this. I was told that this was the allowed carrying capacity after all MH fluids are filled and after 4, 150 lbs of people. Others have said this is the total carry capacity and all fluids, luggage, and people weight come out of this?

Finally, the big question, I see constant references to DH and DW. At first I thought it was for "Driver's Husband" or "Driver's Wife". Then, after seeing more usage, I thought well maybe these RV folks are just really nice and it means "Dear Wife" and "Dear Husband". Now, I'm wondering if it there isn't a northern Michigan connection and it means "Da Wife" and "Da Husband". Can you help me out here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000376s.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	28608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vehicle Weight Rating small.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	28609  

desotodino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Actually most chassis are from the prior year and motor home the next, this might be the first time i have heard of the chassis and MH that close together.

I like da wife and da husband
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by desotodino View Post
We've just traded up from a class C to this unit and couldn't be happier. Great floorplan, great storage, and plenty of power. I do have a couple questions that I'm hoping someone can help me with. The first attachment indicates that the chassis was built by Ford in 08/11 and the motorhome in 09/11 which would indicate a maximum of 2 months from the time the chassis left Ford until the time the motorhome rolled out of the Winnebago plant. That seems very short - is that typical? The second attachment is the allowed carrying capacity. I've heard conflicting opinions on this. I was told that this was the allowed carrying capacity after all MH fluids are filled and after 4, 150 lbs of people. Others have said this is the total carry capacity and all fluids, luggage, and people weight come out of this?

Finally, the big question, I see constant references to DH and DW. At first I thought it was for "Driver's Husband" or "Driver's Wife". Then, after seeing more usage, I thought well maybe these RV folks are just really nice and it means "Dear Wife" and "Dear Husband". Now, I'm wondering if it there isn't a northern Michigan connection and it means "Da Wife" and "Da Husband". Can you help me out here?
Let's make it simple....OCCC = you, passengers, dogs, etc and "stuff" plus water. It does not include fuel, oil, or propane that is already calculated so don't worry about it! 4k+ of water, passengers and stuff sounds good to me!

DW or DH...anything you want it to mean
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

My 06 Surf Side has an 06 F53 chassis. I guess there must be a spillover period when that happens to some units.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Howdy and welcome to the forum. Congrats!! Where are the pics of the new RV???
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for your help, here's a picture of the unit. We've been gone every weekend since we got it in September, it was really hard to put into storage last Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000384s.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	337.0 KB
ID:	28636  
Old 11-07-2012, 08:11 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi to all,
We've decided to trade-up from our current '08 5th wheel (carriage cameo 30') to either a Sightseer or Itasca 33C and are delighted by your comments about your new unit. We've owned the 5er for over 5 yrs. and have put over 25K and 2 sets of tires.
Any info about which options to get or avoid would be really helpful - the unit that we're currently looking at includes a lot of stuff and only seems to be missing the king bed option.
Also, with the 5th wheel, it didn't do well in heat above 90 deg with it's 1 A/C - seems that it would run forever and in the cold below 45 as the furnace would run a lot. I'm hoping that these coaches are better insulated esp. with 2 A/Cs and heat pumps.
Now for the final ? - with my 5th wheel, I was able to get a 30% disc. from the MSRP - can I negotiate that kind of discount on a 150K Winnebago.
Any other info would be greatly appreciated - tow car - which kind is best, hitch to use? lots of new stuff to learn from towing a 5er but we're so excited about this change and sold on the quality of these units vs. other manufacturers.
Thanks
ncflyguy
ncflyguy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have a 33c 2011. Great coach few problems. All were handled quickly by both our dealer and Winnie. Just be ware. DO NOT OPEN FRONT SLIDE IF FRONT DOOR IS CLOSED TIGHT!!!!! Will scratch front door. Like the 2012 not carpet opinion !!! If u can get by with single frig the storage is great!
Sightseer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I believe ours has every option except the king bed, double door refrigerator, and the bedroom TV. The larger bed and refrigerator both come at a cost in space and storage that we would not be willing to pay. We would have preferred the bedroom TV over the storage bin but it's not a big deal as the power and antenna hookups are available. We really like the exterior entertainment center as we like to spend as much time outside as possible (weather permitting). When the weather does not cooperate, the front opposing slide-outs and eye-level TV is very comfortable. With the passenger front seat, the couch, and the recliner, you can comfortably seat 4 people and watch a movie.

It also has options such as a front protective covering and double pane windows which are nice though tough to evaluate over the short time we've owned it.

It drives very well and has plenty of power which makes the drive as enjoyable as the destination. Though we've only owned it a couple of months, we've been very happy with the quality.

We paid about 25% off list but that was for a 2012 model year, we didn't find dealers willing to make that kind of deal for a 2013 model year.

Good luck
Old 11-08-2012, 04:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Congrats

I can't answer your questions, but I can tell you that my 2011 Sightseer has given me minimal problems. I had a ground wire problem that prevented starting after stops for gas. The Ford dealer found the loose ground and have had no problems since. Just remember to keep the engine running while leveling and deploying the slides. Learned the hard way on that one and lost a battery when I first got the coach. I'm certain you'll enjoy the Sightseer and I like the extras on the 2012 / 13 models.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I would agree with Davis, though we've only had ours a short time, we haven't seen any quality problems thus far.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Love ours. Only problem so far has been slide locks not working.
quikbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:00 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Darling Wife and Darling Husband is what I say when I read the initials.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 06:19 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the info and I know that we will enjoy our Sightseer when we finally make the deal - hard to find any near where we live - most are on order and not available until mid Nov into Dec. The only 33C available was a Itasca and they're not dealing yet on this unit. They would only give me a 15% discount and wanted to "low ball" me on my Cameo. Since we can't use it until March (weather in western NC isn't cooperative for camping until late March), we thought that we would wait and take the chance that a unit with the options we wanted might be available and for a better price ?
However, if I can get a deal that is close to my price, then I might take it.
Any thoughts about the best time to buy a 2013 unit ? Not sure if any of the bigger shows in Jan/Feb would be a buying opportunity ? I've been emailing a gal @ the Camping World in Atlanta and she said that she would match any price for the same unit anywhere I find one. Also, I understand that Winnebago only builds units when ordered and I'm wondering if I can get a better deal by doing that in Feb - not sure what the build time is for a new unit + shipping ?
Thanks again and happy trails
NCflyguy
ncflyguy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Don't forget to look at a slightly used model. I had purchased a new 09 vista 30 ft And loved it. It had 11,000 mies. I just traded it in and purchased a 09 journey 34y dp with so much more for over 100,000 less than I sold for new and it only had 7,050 miles on it. 3 slides, driver side is full wall. Lots of space. King bed three tvs only paying about 250 more a month than before for a dp. There are other deals out there for gently used coaches. Good luck shopping is part of the fun.
sellhomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:51 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Agree. Best time to buy 2013 is just about when the 2014 are coming out. Keep looking for them on the Internet. If your are willing to travel to get it u should be able to find one
Old 11-14-2012, 09:45 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

This spring we purchased a 33C Sightseer. We traded in a 2002 Suncruiser 32'. We went to look at a tiffin Breeze 32' and the more we looked the more we fell out of love with it. The Sightseer just happened to be on the showroom floor and the floor plan sold us. This was our 3rd class A, 1994 & 2002 Itasca Suncruisers and now the Sightseer. So far we love it. We have made a few changes to make it our own.
1) We had the dealer install the chassis battery cable upgrade. With the batteries way back by the rear axle the engine would not turn over when hot. The existing cabling was too small and the voltage drop caused the no start when warm condition. The upgrade is basically much heavier cabling for the long run to the starter. Problem solved. This was covered free by Winnebago.
2) I wasn't happy with the 50amp shore cable being stored in the same compartment with the water hookup. It was difficult to get in there and I was afraid that the water pump and plumbing were going to be damaged by it eventually. I cut the cable about 1' from the automatic transfer box located in the compartment and installed a 50amp plug on the remaining end. I then installed a 50amp receptacle on the cut off cable turning it into a 50amp extension cord that I can store wherever is convenient. I also purchased a 30amp extension cord and 50 to 30amp adapter that I use at sites with only 30amp hookups so I don't have to handle that heavy 50amp cable unless needed.
3) I installed a small pressure tank in the water hookup compartment. This eliminated the annoying pulsing water at the facets with the pump short cycling. This should also increase the pump life.
4) I switched out the toilet for a china bowl model. This gives a larger, closer to being at feel.
5) I changed out all the lighting to LED 3400K (warm tone) bulbs. Good light, no hot light fixtures, very little battery draw.
6) Our unit came with the king bed option. A big bed is nice, but you could not get around the thing and it was a bear to make. I cut down the platform to queen width and purchased a new queen mattress. The extra 6" on each side of the bed makes all the difference in the world.
The biggest thing we miss from our 2002 Suncruiser is the "Rest Easy" sofa. We really miss being able to use it as a recliner while watching TV and the ease of just lowering it all the way down and having an instant bed. The "Comfort Sofa Sleeper" with its air mattress while good just isn't the same. The Rest Easy sofa is an option on the 2013 33C Sightseer. So I contacted our selling dealer and a large Winnebago parts store to get a price on a Rest Easy sofa to replace our current one. WHOLEY CRAP! I had heard that Rest Easy Sofas were expensive to purchase after market, but $4,900 plus shipping? We really like this motorhome and plan to have it for a while so I was prepared to pay a premium to get the Rest Easy sofa, but having $5,500 or so to get one to my door is nuts. I really wish I could get some kind of middle road with Winnebago on the sofa. This is the one item that is truly keeping this motorhome from being our prefect motorhome. Maybe that price includes Winnebago coming to the campsite each night to turn down the sheets. I will have to ask.
rini2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

4) I switched out the toilet for a china bowl model. This gives a larger, closer to being at feel.

Can u post some pics. We agree that the toilet is a replacement item. The couch is a big no. It is very high on the replacement list.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I wish the platform under the toilet could be removed and a floor unit installed. Looking at the drawings, I think there is a pipe under there.

Wish the would have put a black tank washout on the coach. Otherwise we love ours.....
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:10 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Congrats to you...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sightseer