Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Our 1st MH! 2008 Winnebago 38J

It's loaded, even has driver's door with power window, Auto satellite, sleep number bed....

19,000 miles.

During drive, rusty water came out just above the windshield in the center and landed on the dash. Just lasted a few seconds. They (La Mesa, Ft. Myers) said they'd fix it of course, but any ideas what it is? (It wasn't raining)

Tires are a concern. Good tread, but assume they are originals. What would YOU do? Hope to get another year our of them? Replace at least the fronts for peace of mind? I didn't see any cracks or obvious flaws.
Dealer is going to give us a born date on all of them. They were Goodyears.

Paid low retail. We've been looking for 2 years and this was the best we'd seen and driven. No smells, headlamps not faded, look like brand new.

Has all the docs. Pervious owner had put carpet in all the outside bays. Thought that was a good sign.

Haven't had PDI yet. Anything we should look for especially on this model?

Has basement air of course. Worked cold as did dash air. TV's picked up local stations easily with antenna down.

Genny started right up and ran for an hour.

We bought the EcoRV Pro package with USA Travel Care with it. Any thoughts on that?

ANY advice will be greatly appreciated, especially since this is our first MH.

Thanks!
jimaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I would check around the front clearance lights and check the roof calking. Hopefully it's not the windshield frame. Best of luck and welcome to the forum.
LEHAFER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

There are several post's concerning windshield leaks. I don't remember the year/model mentioned. As for the tires, I would check the date of manufacture myself. Several threads on how to read the tires. If they are 7 yrs. old many people recommend replacement. Especially the steer tires.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
LR
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2005 Adventurer 38J that we bought new and have really enjoyed the layout and performance. Some of these units, including ours have had leaks around the front windshield and the running lights above the windshield. If repaired before the frame around the windshield rusts badly, its no big deal and can be repaired inexpensively.

If the windshield frame, however, has extensive deterioration, the repair gets pretty pricey. You definitely want to check it out throughly while your warranty is in effect.

To check my unit I removed the inside molding around the windshield, found some wetness, but no rust and had the service center re-caulk around the windshield.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Congratulations! I know you're excited about your new coach! Welcome!

The rust drip is cause for concern. I would ask to see the framing around the windshield with the windshield out before and after the repair. I realize that may be asking a lot, but if your dealer is fixing it, make sure it's done right--there should be absolutely no rust on the framing prior to windshield re-installation.

Here's what I think about the tires. 1. Look at the date codes--if the tires were new when the motorhome was built, you may have a year or two in them. 2. Look at the sidewalls of all the tires--even on in the inside rears, spare, too-- very, very closely. If you see any tiny hairline cracks, that's not good: Replace the tires. If you see no "checking" (that's the hairline cracks), then you're good to go--keep an eye on them, though. Remember this always--you're going to get weather damage on the tires long before you wear out the tread (unless you drive nearly constantly or drive with incorrect pressures and bad alignment).

Scott
Old 12-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We too have just purchased our first 38J 2008 w/ 4600 miles. We have spent the last week getting it loaded so we could go to the Olympic Coast for a week. It has been raining off and on but nothing exceptional. As I left this morning in the rain I noticed some drops on the dash and the cup holder tray. Didn't really pay to much attention until I noticed water dripping from the middle cabinet door. I pulled over and opened the door and it was wet on the inside dripping down onto the dash. I wiped it off inside and out and took off. The drip never came back. We drove in the wind and rain for the next hour and a half with no leak what so ever. We have been parked for the last 4 hours and it hasn't stopped raining since, and we have not developed any dripping from the middle cabinet as of yet.
Very perplexing.
Any ideas???
The Toads
TheToads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Correction - duh. It's a 2008 38T, not J.
jimaxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

The tires on my 2008 were dated 0107 and 0607, almost a year old when I bought the MH.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 06:05 AM   #9
GG1
Winnie-Wise

All of the above, also try to look under the carpet the previous owner installed in storage boxes check for dampness or water seepage where the sidewalls meet the floor, try to find maint. records.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I know of two 38Js that had leaks around the clearance lights in front. This brings water inside and drops it on the dash. I would take the lenses off and caulk around them as a first step.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago