Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Opinions- 05' Journey purchase

We're considering upgrading to diesel and are interested in a local 05' Journey with a Cat C7 engine w/350hp.

I know very little about diesel engines, but I have read a few comments from time to time about certain diesels that are more or less desirable for a variety of reasons or preferences. Any one care to share thoughts on this particular C7 engine? Low milage ~ 20k mi.

Also, comments welcome with regard to handling issues, or any other model specific comments.... Good or bad.

It's a very big decision and therefore your valued opinions, experiences and knowledge are very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The C 7 Cat is a very reliable engine and the 05 would be pre-emissions which would have less systems to go wrong or maintain. Cat puts this engine in large earth moving equipment also.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I don't own one so hopefully someone will chime in but I believe there is an issue with the rear radiator getting dirt and oil (from exhaust) and causing engine over heat. Several friends I know have installed what they call "slobber tubes" that come off the blow off and run under the coach to the rear bumper. Other than that, I have one friend who has a CAT with 50K miles and was told by the company that the engine is still in the brake in phase at 50K...
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Nice coach and good motor, we bought an 02 Journey new with a 330 hp Cat and traded it with 54k miles it ran great it was just starting to get better mileage with 54k on it. One thing I read about was on later year Cats they eliminated a grease fitting on the fan hub that sometimes caused a failure due to no lubrication, ours had the fitting some mechanics did not know about the location I had to point it out when they did service work, also according to Cat the fan hubs are interchangeable and suggest if the fitting is not there have the older hub installed, at the time I was looking at an 06 Tour with the 350 Cat
Old 08-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Maintenance will be higher than a gasser. Not sure about Cats but our Cummins takes 26 quarts of oil and a filter that is a bargain at $25 just for an example.

On the other hand even though a diesel is noisy a DP has the noise so far back from you driving it is much more quiet than the V10 we had before. Lots more power and mileage wise gets about the same but it powers more than double the weight. Properly maintained a diesel will last for a million miles they say. We have about 960,000 to go to prove that though

For the first year since ours was also used we purchased an extended service plan for peace of mind. There are lots of opinions about them but one thing is for sure, read the fine print before signing on the dotted line.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Jolly,
We love our 05 Journey. Diesel annual service costs are higher, but the power benefits are worth it for us. Going with a DP also brings you a quieter ride and air suspension.

We also bought the extended warranty for piece of mind and they have paid for the few issues that came up.

Go for it!
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I've had several different motor homes over the years. Now I have an 06 Journey with a C7 Cat. It's by far the best one I've had. Handles great, quiet, plenty of power and 8-9 MPG. Couldn't be happier.
Bob
rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We have a 04 39k Winnebago and it should be the last one I will ever buy---- meaning we love it very few problems!
mdshedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Have a '07 Journey with the Cat C7. It's a very reliable engine. More torque than the equivalent Cummins ISB for equivalent model years. I love the power and torque on this coach.

Journeys are an excellent diesel coach; great value for the money. I'll be keeping mine for quite a while.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Still in business, great company support, 79,000mi and never had a problem. Love it.
Mine is 34ft and handles well. I have been back and forth across the USA 6 times in all kinds of wind and still love it.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thank you all for your comments and ringing endorsements! I'm glad to hear that this particular engine is favored for strength and reliability. If we were simply planning to go "camping" in our region, I would stay with our V-10. However, we're hoping to begin cross country trips next year pulling A toad and I'm thinking the diesel will be appreciated.

I realize there are many fine coaches on the market. And we really like our HR Endeavor. But, I've always thought that Winnebago is a sound American company and makes a great product. I'm hoping all works out and we can make a deal for this rig. It's certainly a scary time economically to be spending big dollars, but on the other hand it's a buyers market right now.

Thanks again for sharing your helpful comments.

Cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:46 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Love our 06 with Cat C7. Keep your radiator clean, change your filters. We have Koni shocks which make big difference. Have the radiator fan bearing checked (ours failed around 20k miles). Our tow is a suburban or jeep and we get 7.5 to 8 mpg.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:11 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

I have a 2004 Cat C-7 with 52,000 miles on it and with all the things on a diesel that can leave you stranded on the road, those fan hub bearings scare the heck out of me. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for the mileage time it will go so pretty hard to anticipate when to do a replacement especially when it can run between $1,000-$2,000 depending on whether the radiator has to be pulled or not. One poster a while back had just left Gaffney after his complete maintenance being done and the bearing went out the next day on the road. When it goes that fan can do a lot of damage to the shroud, CAC, radiator, and anything else back there that it comes in contact with.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 11:16 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekay View Post
Love our 06 with Cat C7. Keep your radiator clean, change your filters. We have Koni shocks which make big difference. Have the radiator fan bearing checked (ours failed around 20k miles). Our tow is a suburban or jeep and we get 7.5 to 8 mpg.
Were you able to tell it was going bad before any damage was done, and if so how was it diagnosed? I've read the belt would have to be removed before any slack or wear could be detected by wiggling the fan blades. I've been wondering about having mine replaced with the greaseable one and having the grease zirk extended to where it can be reached from under the coach.

Wagonmaster2
Old 08-06-2011, 04:19 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Need to look to see if I have the zerk, does it spin with the hub? Would my 2007 even have the grease type? Thanks
Old 08-06-2011, 06:26 AM   #16
GG1
Winnie-Wise

On the 02 Journey the grease fitting sits directly on top of the fan hub sitting straight up about a foot or so from the closet floor, the fitting is stationary. There was a removeable panel on left side of the closet floor that gave you full access to that part of the engine.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:36 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I have an 05 34H Journey with the 350hp C7 CAT with the 6 spd Allison transmission and I love it! Great engine and we just finished a 10K trip around the country and the engine performed excellently. The CAT has lots of power and I averaged, according to the onboard computer, 8.8 mpg towing an 03 Subaru Forester. Keep the CAT well maintained and it will out last the MH. Good Luck on your purchase and Happy MHing!
Jackhal1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:51 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Need to look to see if I have the zerk, does it spin with the hub? Would my 2007 even have the grease type? Thanks
My coach is a 2004 and it doesn't have the zerk. It's my understanding that Cat quit using the zerk either in 2003 or early 2004 cause it was so hard to get to (or owners didn't know it was there) so it never got greased. Don't know which is worse, a non-greaseable sealed bearing or a greaseable one that never gets greased. Either way it seems we consumers are the losers in this game.

Wagonmaster2
Old 08-07-2011, 07:36 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I have an 07 Journey with the C-7 Cat and it does not have the grease fitting on the bearing. I wish it did, then I'd know it was greased. If it should ever fail, I'll replace it with the grease fitting version, they are interchangable.

Best Regards!

2007 Winnebago Journey 39K Freightliner Chassis, Cat C7
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 03:23 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackhal1949 View Post
I have an 05 34H Journey with the 350hp C7 CAT with the 6 spd Allison transmission and I love it! Great engine and we just finished a 10K trip around the country and the engine performed excellently. The CAT has lots of power and I averaged, according to the onboard computer, 8.8 mpg towing an 03 Subaru Forester. Keep the CAT well maintained and it will out last the MH. Good Luck on your purchase and Happy MHing!

My computer has been defaulted to 5.9mpg since we got the coach. Were you able to re-set yours? I have basically the same unit (2005 Itasca Meridian 34H).
ExitStrategy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, purchase