Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Can anyone tell me how to open up the dash on the 2004 Journey? I need to replace my rear camera, but I would like to test it first by connecting directly into the back of the rear camera monitor located in the dash...Thanks
Dennis Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Can anyone tell me how to open up the dash on the 2004 Journey? I need to replace my rear camera, but I would like to test it first by connecting directly into the back of the rear camera monitor located in the dash...Thanks
Dennis Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:38 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Someone will explain this better than I can but the cover top behind the guages has screws at the flat part that you take off and that cover comes off to see down behind the monitor. Welcome to the ranks of all those 04 owners who have replaced those defective cameras. Hubby says be very careful you don't lose the wiring when you take your old camera out. Good luck.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

There are several (maybe 5 or 6) sheet metal screws that hold the plastic cowling that surrounds the instrument panel to the major panel beneath the windshields. These are vertical screws that are easily accessed standing near the driver's seat. There is also one one sheet metal screw on the side near the radio. When all of these screws are removed the entire cowling can be removed exposing the back side of your rear-view monitor. I have had mine off numerous times to repair this and that.
And yes, I had to replace my Sony rear-view camera. However, be sure to have both the monitor and camera checked out before throwing money at one or the other. What seems to be the camera at fault may in fact be the monitor and vice versa.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Seems like most of us with 2004 Winnies have been through this with the rear view camera/monitor failures. Nearly all I have heard about, the problem is with the camera.

The instruction sheet that came with my new camera said not to spray water directly on the camera case, which I did for almost four years before it died. I now put a baggie over the camera when I wash the RV. Maybe that will help.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Hm.. wonder what happens when it rains? We've all been out when it rains sideways. Luckily my original is still good Yeah, I know I am just asking for the fickle finger of fate to strike my camera. SteveG

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Very discouraging for those of us who have this failure to contend with yet. Does anyone who has had the camera replaced remember about what the cost runs? If Extended Warranties will cover this do you have to wait for it to completely fail or will they cover it as soon as it starts acting up? Mine has funny vertical green streaks on the monitor about every week or so, but not so reliable that it would show up at a dealer when you wanted it to.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:00 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Look up www.rvcams.com. They are in Baton Rouge, LA. You can talk to Tim (owner) who is most helpful and knowledgeable. The cost of a new camera is around $400.00 as I remember. A factory refurb camera is about one-half that, also as I remember.

Good luck!
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 05:40 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I had to replace my rear view monitor this past summer. Lichtsinn Motors, the site sponsor, had the best deal I could find other than playing with EBay. They sourced the monitor from Winnebago and UPS'd it to me at one of my trip destinations. Took just a few minutes to replace it.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote