Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2019, 05:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Norcold Refer Door

We have a 2016 Vista 30T. The other day my wife opened the door up on the Norcold refer and the door fell off. The bottom door frame that slides onto the hinge pin had broken. This is 822RT model. I called and ordered a new door and they asked me if I wanted the new heavy duty modified hinge that would stop this from happening. I asked them if it was a common problem and they said yes. This was not Norcold itself but a Norcold service center. Cut our trip short by three weeks.
Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Yep, amazon sells a bracket that fits over the hinge. I did the same and when I bought the new door installed the bracket.

I know there are a few posts here talking about the same thing. It’s almost like we need a monthly reminder to the forum to go spend the $25 for the bracket and save yourself the $ for a new door way too often...
Old 09-25-2019, 08:40 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thom, how did you get the front panel off of the old door? I see how the top latch comes off, it is just screwed in but do not see how to remove the front to install on the new door.
Thanks....

I had not seen the earlier posts and sure wish I had of, that was $139 plus shipping I did not want to spend...
Old 09-25-2019, 09:35 PM   #4
Site Team

Not sure what front panel you have but mine is about 1/2 inch wooden. It was glued on. I think when I did it I just destroyed the door I was replacing to ensure that I didn’t damage the panel. I think it slides in from the side but the adhesive gives you troubles. The new door I didn’t glue it back so it floats a bit. Not enough that we have problems.
Old 09-25-2019, 09:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Throm, mine is wood also. Damn that is not how I hoped it was installed, guess I will take a hard look at it tomorrow....Thank You
Old 10-03-2019, 11:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Link to Amazon reinforcement bracket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
Yep, amazon sells a bracket that fits over the hinge. I did the same and when I bought the new door installed the bracket.

I know there are a few posts here talking about the same thing. It’s almost like we need a monthly reminder to the forum to go spend the $25 for the bracket and save yourself the $ for a new door way too often...
ThomB: I have searched amazon and can't seem to find the bracket you bought and referred to, would you be so kind as to post a link? Thanks for the help.
tortoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:12 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
ThomB: I have searched amazon and can't seem to find the bracket you bought and referred to, would you be so kind as to post a link? Thanks for the help.
This is the one that was used on our RV.

https://www.amazon.com/Norcold-63416...s%2C371&sr=8-1

Search for: Norcold Door Hinge Kit
Old 10-03-2019, 06:09 PM   #8
Just Trying to Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
Thom, how did you get the front panel off of the old door? I see how the top latch comes off, it is just screwed in but do not see how to remove the front to install on the new door.
If you are asking about how to add or remove a door insert (a.k.a, "decorative panel"), your Norcold's installation manual should describe how to do that. See page 6 of this link.

For the N82X and N84X models, you remove a flexible plastic strip on the edge that is opposite the hinges. The inserts then slide out/in, followed by snapping the plastic strip back into the retainer channel. It takes less than a minute to do.

That assumes that the RV manufacturer has not decided to semi- or permanently fasten any inserts in place.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Mark, and all of you that replied. Thank You...The new door arrived, the repair kit with it and the wood panel came out just as described. I pulled off the black trim on the side and the panel came off fairly easy. Winnebago had added a few spots of what looked like caulk to hold it in place but it came out easily. Hopefully this is the end of the issues with this fridge. ]
Old 10-07-2019, 09:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Link please

Quote:

Might you have the link to said part? Does it cover other models? Had a friend whose 1200 door fell off a few years back. I have a N1095 I would like to keep the door from falling off.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

I found the parts on "Bob the Norcold Guy" ….
Old 10-08-2019, 06:06 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorytug View Post
Might you have the link to said part? Does it cover other models? Had a friend whose 1200 door fell off a few years back. I have a N1095 I would like to keep the door from falling off.
Quote:
This is the one that was used on our RV.

https://www.amazon.com/Norcold-63416...s%2C371&sr=8-1

Search for: Norcold Door Hinge Kit

Not exactly sure what all models it fits. It came as a left and a right so I'd assume that it fits onto the double door model.
Old 10-20-2019, 05:19 PM   #13
Owner and Traveler

I have the bracket for a left hand door if anyone wants it for shipping cost.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:23 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
We have a 2016 Vista 30T. The other day my wife opened the door up on the Norcold refer and the door fell off. The bottom door frame that slides onto the hinge pin had broken. This is 822RT model. I called and ordered a new door and they asked me if I wanted the new heavy duty modified hinge that would stop this from happening. I asked them if it was a common problem and they said yes. This was not Norcold itself but a Norcold service center. Cut our trip short by three weeks.
We have the same RV and ours just broke yesterday. First thing I found out was you cannot just replace the hinge you must replace the door. Then they asked if I wanted the heavy duty upgrade for additional money. WTH - they have known about this for so long they have an upgrade? Just put it on the door at manufacturing or at minimum offer it to people who purchased your early junk for free.
Hicks3456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:24 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Best source yes - Bob the Norcold Guy
Hicks3456 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, norcold