Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

No More Horizon in 2011?

We're at The Rally in Louisville and just went through their new coach preview. I have to say that of all the coaches we went through, for our taste, the new Ellipse was top of our list. However, I was surprised to hear from the sales guy that The Ellipse is now the top of the line as they have done away with the Horizon this year. From all the high end upgrades on it I can believe it. Sticker price went up to $345K on this 42 footer but it still looked like the biggest bargain at the show.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Rick---I hope you put your deposit down! Someone needs to help keep the economy going!!
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Believe me, if there were any way that I could even remotely rationalize it I would be there. Notice I even said "rationalize" and not "justify".... that would just be silly.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 06:14 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The Horizon and Vectra were discontinued in 2010. Winnebago shuffles their lineup every few years.
Indiana Journey
indiana journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I was told the reason they dis continued the Horizon (and Vectra) was that marketing determined people were having a tough time justifying the cost to 'make the jump up' from the Ellipse (and Tour). So in order to capture both demographics they combined and reduced the number of models at the upper end. I am more concerned about doing away with basement air in the 2011 diesels to make room for an additional compressor, the diesel urea fluid, and the regeneration equipment.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Maverick,

I believe that they did away with the basement air because it can't handle a 42' coach with slides. You can find numerous threads about this topic. The urea tank isn't anywhere close to the size of the AC compartment.
ernieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernieh View Post
Maverick,

I believe that they did away with the basement air because it can't handle a 42' coach with slides. You can find numerous threads about this topic. The urea tank isn't anywhere close to the size of the AC compartment.
It seems that all new Winnebago's have roof air. At a seminar I was told the newer required R-410A refrigerant would make the air too large to fit underneath. I don't see any problem with roof air. Also at the Freightliner display a Winnebago guy (forgot name) who was helping out said the emissions would take all the basement air space. The Urea tank would not take too much space.

Currently at GNR.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:59 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

There are three reasons they have moved away from basement air. To set the stage, due to its size the basement air module determined the entire layout for the coaches. The main reason they went to roof air was that Winnebago was the only manufacturer that used the system and RVP was the only company producing the system. Winnebago does not like to have only one supplier available for any major system. If that producer folds Winnebago is stuck. Also, the biggest basement air system was not large enough for the 42. Winnebago really believed the basement air was not big enough for the 40 in really hot areas. Finally the chemical plant required for the 2010 diesel engines takes up a lot of room. The roof air is a 13,500 btu unit. Three of them give you almost 40,000 btu. The largest 2009 basement air unit was 27,000 btu and the 2008 unit was 24,000 btu. Finally, each roof air unit pulls about 15 amps. I did note at GNR that removing the basement air did not provide a large increase in basement storage, especially in the 42s.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #9

From back in the 1960s winnebago has had the habit of changing; It seemed to get more evadent when John Hanson Passed on. It seems the EXC>> have nothing better to do then try to fix something that ain't broke. They dropped the Chiefton For several years, Then some scatter brain decided to drop the vectra line this was several years ago , then brought them both back again, I guess they just get boared sitting in there office so they have to do something Even if it is pointless. Please respect other posters even if you dissagree. This is my opion, worth what you paid for it , Life is good.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Actually although the 42 footers have three 13,500 roof airs only two can be operated at a time. So you wind up with 27,000 equal to the basement air. Also you can either run the two forward airs or the bedroom air but you can't mix the two. A screwy setup at best. I think they are really going to have problems keeping the 42s cool in 100 degree weather since there have been so many complaints with the smaller 40s and they basically have the same usable capacity.
gmanatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

gmanatl,
I understand from realiable Winnebago folks that all three a/c's operate with 50 amp service or the generator. Only with 30 amp the control will only allow two to operate but you can cycle between them. This help?
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

NO BMA

MaverickBBD, I think the reason the BMA was removed was to make more room for storage, such Knitting Yarn, etc.,etc.
Pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:36 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I was at the factory in Forrest City in July and was told you can only run 2 of the 3 AC units at a time regardless of the power. They also said you could run either the two up front or the rear unit for the bedroom but you could not run one front and the rear one. The guys on the shop floor told me this and I had a salesman from Lichsinn tell me the same thing.
gmanatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #14
I helped | retired moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanatl View Post
I was at the factory in Forrest City in July and was told you can only run 2 of the 3 AC units at a time regardless of the power. They also said you could run either the two up front or the rear unit for the bedroom but you could not run one front and the rear one. The guys on the shop floor told me this and I had a salesman from Lichsinn tell me the same thing.
That's unusual.

On other RV's you can run all 3 at once.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote