Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2015, 09:44 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

No fresh water gravity fill on my Meridian

I have no gravity fresh water fill point on my new (to me) 2011 34Y Meridian. Is this common on DPs? I have been to campgrounds (with no city water hook-ups) where there is not a hose fitting on the fresh water fill hose, and have then had to search for other alternative water taps in the campground to attach a hose and fill my tank. Have others run into this situation, and what have you done about it?
Algonquin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

My 2010 Suncruiser has no "gravity fill". I'm thinking "most" newer Class A coaches don't have one.
I've never been in a situation where that was a problem.
Old 06-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

That sounds odd to me....... surely it has one!?!?! I used mine on my class a ALL the time, almost exclusively. Same on my current airstream.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:59 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

No gravity fill on my Dutch Star.
I have added water to the fresh tank when no city water hose is available; using the winterize, A/F pick up tube, into a 7 gal. water jug, and the 12v pump, and pumped the water into the tank using the fill valve. This may be an option if your coach has this equipment.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:03 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Take an old male end of a garden hose and cut off the last 18" of hose, leaving the fitting on the hose. Jam a funnel in the hose end, screw the hose into your fill port on the RV. Hold it up above the the fill port and allow the campground water hose to fill your tank. Now not only could you fill it from any hose, but in a pinch you could fill from water jugs too. Then store it until the next need. You could also fabricate one out of plastic pipe fittings found at a home improvement center that would be rigid and would hold itself upright to eliminate the need to hold it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I tried the funnel idea but it doesn't work because there is a check valve at the fill port that requires city water pressure to open.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

This may solve your problem.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Yes, I have an anti-freeze siphon hose -- this is a great idea in an emergency.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I like the idea of the blue hose adapter, but I have been unable to find a similar item in my area.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:03 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
I like the idea of the blue hose adapter, but I have been unable to find a similar item in my area.
Walmart $4.99.

Camco Water Bandit - Walmart.com
Old 06-27-2015, 11:17 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
This may solve your problem.

EXACTLY!!!
Been using one of these for decades in NF & State campgrounds. They work outstandingly.
Scott

Camco RV 22484 Water Bandit Fresh Water Hose Fitting | eBay

But, this only helps on the supply end. If you don't have a gravity fill, then this won't do any good. I wonder when the coach builders decided that you DON'T need a gravity fill, I guess about the time they thought we'd all use hookups in RV parks and campgrounds huh? Air heads.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 11:42 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
But, this only helps on the supply end. If you don't have a gravity fill, then this won't do any good. Air heads.
Scott
This water thief will work. Put the supply water hose, without a fitting, into the open end of the water thief. Connect the brass threaded end of the water thief to your hose connected to you RV water inlet.

I have also used the water thief on a well with a hand pump.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N View Post
This water thief will work. Put the supply water hose, without a fitting, into the open end of the water thief. Connect the brass threaded end of the water thief to your hose connected to you RV water inlet.

I have also used the water thief on a well with a hand pump.
Duhhhhhh!!!! You're absolutely correct Sir. For some Freudian reason, I completely forgot about connecting to the City Water inlet after using the water thief on the other end to obtain supply. What an air head.
Scott
Old 06-29-2015, 07:11 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
My 2010 Suncruiser has no "gravity fill". I'm thinking "most" newer Class A coaches don't have one.
I've never been in a situation where that was a problem.
Gravity water fill has not been eliminated on all Winnebago class A products. Our 2013 Adventurer has a gravity fill door on the curb side just in front of the bedroom slide.

Over the years they have added and eliminated a number of features. Some were gone for only a short period of time while others are a permanent part of history.

Our 2001 Adventurer had a solar panel, a power passengers side seat, and a temperature/compass built into the dash. It also had phone jacks to plug in your land line phone. None of these features were available when we ordered our 2013 Adventurer. All but the phone jacks are once again available because of popular demand. I doubt you'll ever see the phone feature back. Time has moved on and they're about as useful as a spare set of horse shoes.

The Adventurer/ Suncruiser lines have had a drivers door since at least 1999. It's been eliminated in the 2016 models.

Each model year has some differences from the previous years. If you're looking to purchase a new motorhome take note of the features you like in your current motorhome. Then make sure those features are available either as standard or optional items on the coach you're interested in.

One advantage of ordering rather than buying off the lot is that you can order features that are not normally offered. When we ordered our 2013 Adventurer we were told we could add any feature offered on any coach Winnebago built if it would physically fit in the model we ordered.

We decided to order a power passengers seat and a couple other non standard options. At the time we opted against adding a solar panel because the motorhome is stored indoors. A couple years later we find ourselves doing a little more boon docking. The solar panel should have been included on the list.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:34 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
It also had phone jacks to plug in your land line phone. None of these features were available when we ordered our 2013 Adventurer. All but the phone jacks are once again available because of popular demand. I doubt you'll ever see the phone feature back. Time has moved on and they're about as useful as a spare set of horse shoes.
I use the phone jack in my 2005 Suncruiser to hookup a DSL line when in FL for the winter.

-Tom
Old 06-29-2015, 09:06 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

If the convenience of a gravity fill port is wanted, the fitting, either a single opening or the city/gravity choice behind a locking door is available for $10-25 from a variety of sources. If you've got the space to add one on the side of the RV, it wouldn't be a hard DIY project.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:36 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, I'll look into this add-on fill port. The cosmetic appearance of this is also a consideration.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

This isn't a new thing. Our 2000 SeaBreeze doesn't have a gravity fill opening. I do have the ability to connect a short hose to my pressure fill fitting, drop the other end in a water can, and use the coach's water pump to pump the water from the can into the tank.

We don't miss the gravity fill.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

intresting! My 2014 winnebago trend came with a fresh water gravity fill port.
mr mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:38 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post
This isn't a new thing. Our 2000 SeaBreeze doesn't have a gravity fill opening. I do have the ability to connect a short hose to my pressure fill fitting, drop the other end in a water can, and use the coach's water pump to pump the water from the can into the tank.

We don't miss the gravity fill.
SilverBob,
Wow, you can actually utilize the water pump on the coach, to "Pump" water INTO the tank, through the city water inlet? That's pretty good. Never heard of that before this. All I've ever seen or heard of is, the water pump, pumps water OUT of the tank, to the available faucets.
Scott

Tags
fresh water, water