Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

New to us 2003 Journey

Hi - We just purchaced a new to us 2003 Journey DL 36GD. So far we love it but I didn't get a lot of training from the previous owner. I'm trying to find the Engine heater switch location. This is the one to help warm up the engine block before you start it on a cold day. I have looked all over and cant find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Ben
Old 06-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
GG1
Winnie-Wise

try in the hallway near the ceiling where the energy management panel is, Winnebago has a tech assistance hot line 800 537 1885 mon-fri they answer questions from soup to nutzzz just give them your serial #
Old 06-17-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Hi and Welcome to the forum.
Some coaches have the block heater switch, beside the bed , near the engine compartment. Others, like mine , have it in the main electrical control panel, with the slide control, and battery disconnect. Some don't have the block heater wired in for inside activation or it was an option.
If you don't get an answer form an owner of a unit the same as yours, you may need to track the wiring from the side of the engine block back , first to see if your coach was even equiped with a block heater; some dealers in the southern states wouldn't order the option; then to see if the cord is plugged into anything.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

We have an 05 Journey, and like GG1, ours is high on the hall wall near the One Place panel. It is a white switch like a home light switch.

The sump heater plugs into a 120AC outlet in the electrical bay. Check to be sure it is plugged in.

I must say, you are thinking ahead.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks everyone! I will take a look when I get back up to our RV lot. It's just one of those things that I read about in the manual and tried to find it and then it was bugging me. The one spot I may have not looked is high up on the One Place panel. Seems like there is so much to learn on these things.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Kelm130,
As has been stated, it "could" be at the top of the "one place" panel. Here you see it in the picture as it is in our '04 Itasca, 36GD, which is pretty similar to your rig. And, yes, there is a lot to learn about them. Sit back, take it in as you will, don't get too frustrated, there's lots of help here and on other portions of this net.

If, you should find this switch in the same place in you coach as it is in ours, then that's half the battle. The other half is, depending on the exact location in yours as it is in ours, you must see if that switch is "plugged in". And that plug, IN OUR COACH, is located in the electrical compartment, behind the left rear duals, on the right wall of the compartment, up high. And, on our 330 HP CAT, the actual "Block" heater is on the drivers side of the block, about a few inches above the oil pan seal, just aft of the bell housing.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have an 03 Journey DL. My engine heater switch is inside the cabinet above the washer dryer. There are switches in there for the electric for the water heater and some winter bypass switches in there too.
stardalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Smile Thanks!!

I'll report my findings this weekend This group is one reason we went with Winnebago - Great support! I had emailed Winnebago with another question about adding a Trik-L-Start and they called me on the phone to tell me the answer. I mean wow!! Who does that anymore? There is a lot to learn but I'm finding that's half the fun and since we sold our house what else to I have to do. Thanks again everyone.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Yep, should be in the upper right cabinet over the washer/dryer, along with the electric water heater switch.

You've bought one of the finest coaches ever made. Feel free to ask any operational question. I have manuals on EVERYTHING (pretty much!) if you need more specific info.

Congratulations, and welcome to the Journey tribe!
Old 06-19-2012, 01:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Same unit, mine is above the one place panel, it is a common light switch.
Electric water heater switch is right next to it.
We have never had to use it and we have been in 30 degrees weather.

Just a heads up, check out your surge tank, to see if it has been changed.
Just changed out mine over the weekend.
RMinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the heads up on the Surge Tank. I started doing searches on it and that seems to be a part that needs to be inspected. Did you replace it yourself? Seems like some folks say it was not bad while others had a hard time. Maybe it depends on the model of your motorhome.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:13 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I changed it myself, cut it out with a hacksaw it is only plastic so it cuts easy. Don't forget to drain out some of the antifreeze. The tank is the high part of the cooling system so you don't need to drain a lot. The hardest thing for me was the passenger side rear bolt, not a lot of clearance.

Also changed out the alternator with a aftermarket 200 amp unit, old unit would lose voltage, I would have to run the generator to keep voltage going to the engine batteries.

Other things on the up grade list, ceiling fan in the bedroom, new water pump, changing out the tv's to LED. Should have them all done by the end of the month.
RMinflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Thumbs up

OK - So it was right there in front off me I just had to look up 6 inches above the One Place panel. Thanks everyone for the help. I also checked my Surge tank and it does have some spider cracking going on so it's on the list to replace soon.

So now off to my next investigation: The automatic winterize system that I have read so much about. To switch to manual valves or not? Winters a way off so I have time.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Kelm130,
The effort to replace that surge tank is somewhat different in these coaches. Although they're basically in the same place on many of them, the clearance for nut and bolt work is tighter on some than others. I will tell you how I did mine. Long story short. I removed both engine covers under the bed. I have two, some have just one. But, the intent here is to gain as much access to that surge tank as possible, both inside the coach and outside.

Next is to drain it. I've been a backyard mechanic for most of my life but I was too stupid to realize how to drain this surge tank for replacement. I siphoned out as much as possible from the radiator cap spout and realized that there was still around 1/2 a gallon of A/F still in the bottom that I could not get to with my siphon hose. So not seeing any other way, I used a hole saw and cut a hole in the back side, (inside the coach) and stuck my siphon hose in there and got about 90% of what was left.

Now, a short note here. A member here and a friend later both pointed out that there is "Drain" or pet cocks on the heater hoses under the engine, along side the frame that I could have used to drain that surge tank, what an air head.

Anyway, after all the fluid is out. then comes loosening all the hoses/clamps etc. Then comes the removal of all the bolts that hold the tank in place. Taking them off is no big deal, it's when you've removed the old tank, placed the new one in position that, replacing the bolts was a shear pain in the a...
Again, there are differences in this arrangement from coach to coach but, close. Clearances very from bolt heads to paneling/framing/brackets etc. You'll learn some new and or, use some old special words here.

On mine, the factory used "nuts and bolts" to hold that tank on. Well, when I removed the bolts, some of the nuts fell into Alice's Wonderland and I never did find them. So, know it was going to be a huge pain to try and hold the tank in a certain position, try to figure out how to hold the nut on inside of a bracket and, all the while put a bolt through all of it to start the threading.

So, my answer, I zipped on down to the local auto parts store and purchased some "Speed nuts". Those are the ones with a u-shaped clip attached to a nut so it clips itself to a bracket and you don't have to hold it. It was the miracle cure for that situation, without a doubt.

So, after all the speed nuts, bolts, tank etc, was replaced, a trip to Freightliner to pick up the correct anti-freeze. Yep, it was a bit of work but, the satisfaction of knowing it was done correctly and, that it is new and I don't have to worry about a spider cracked tank while in the middle of nowhere, is very comforting. So, that's that one.
Scott
Old 06-25-2012, 05:39 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Fire Up! How to drain the tank was one of the questions I had about the process. I think I will learn from your adventure and try to find the drain valve. I'm calling Freightliner today to check the price on a tank.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

kelm130,
From a few friends and others, I was under the imression that the tank was in the neighborhood of $20.00, plus or minus. Well, they had to perform CPR on me when the Freightliner dealer told me it was at, plus or minus, $130.00
+ tax. They had to order it but, it came in less than 24 hours. I tried as many sourses as possible to get it cheaper but, no luck.

So, I bit the bullit and paid the price and did the work. Yep, these things (motorhomes in general) are not cheap but, we all know that going into it. I thought that was bad utill I ventured into changing my trans fluid from Dexron to Transynd. That little endever set me back around $340.00 plus the filter kit for another $40.00. Oh well, the cooling system is in top notch shape and, so's the tranny at this point.
Scott
Old 06-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I order replacement surge tank with 2 day shipping and no tax for $124 from finditparts.com. Showed up as promised.
stardalo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey