Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2019, 10:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

New owner of used Sightseer 29R

Hello all.

We are currently in the midst of buying a 2006 Sightseer 29R. The wiring and plumbing are much more complicated then our boat (sold). I expect months if not years of learning it all. Welcome any hints and suggestions.

We are lucky to have a spot to park it next to the house here in the Seattle area.

David/Laura
David_Laura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:59 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to Winnie Owners, we are glad you joined us.

If you have the time, completing a signature with the year make and model for your Winnie can help others to help you if and when you need it. And you can do that here;

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/p...=editsignature

We have also moved your post to the Class A forums where you will find other members with your same RV.
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:20 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Here are links to a pair of articles on RV elect, batteries, solar, etc. Read through the info and compare your RV to the info. Any questions you have should be put into separate topics posted on this website. You get more specific, clearer answers, not to mention it is easier to answer, if each question is in a separate topic.
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
The 12volt Side of Life Part 2
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 07:45 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

RE: The 12volt side of life

Wow. Great articles.

Thanks
Old 03-29-2019, 06:52 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

You're welcome. Glad to help.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I don't know what kind of boat you had, but, if you're anything like me (former Catalina 30 sailboat owner), I was surprised at how messy RV wiring and plumbing is compared to boats. For the most part, if you understand boat systems, you'll find that you'll be able to figure out your RV systems without too much trouble.

The other thing you'll probably notice is how messily your roof fittings are sealed with gobs of sealant, new over old, etc. Making sure there are no roof leaks is a number one priority. Think about using Eternabond tape to seal everything. It will last for years.

Here's a recent discussion on this topic:

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...of-354053.html

Fortunately, Winnebago provides a lot of helpful information on our rigs:

https://winnebagoind.com/ (put your cursor on the Resources tab to highlight the list of choices)
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 09:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

i also have a 2006 Sightseer 29 R and we love it just the right size for us. Just got back from Florida 2600 miles. Before we left i had new shocks installed along with sumo springs than i had a Safe-T-steer installed what a difference. Our first stop was Beckley WV about a 10 hr drive not tired at all drove like a dream. When heading south our first stop is usually a long one Ohio and West Virginia are rv park wastelands that time of year. Enjoy your new coach if you have any questions post here or PM me.
Gordiegaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Laura View Post
Hello all.

We are currently in the midst of buying a 2006 Sightseer 29R. The wiring and plumbing are much more complicated then our boat (sold). I expect months if not years of learning it all. Welcome any hints and suggestions.

We are lucky to have a spot to park it next to the house here in the Seattle area.

David/Laura
We have the identical coach except an 07. The wiring is pretty simply for an RV but it is almost never a source of trouble. Type in your coach on line and winnegago has wiring diagrams for all their coaches. One thing you have to consider is the engine battery doesn't charge when plugged into shore power. Order a Trik-L-start charger that is easy to install. It will probvide 5 amps of trickle charge to your engine battery. The TV's are not HD so you will have to replece them or get an analog to digital adapter. If there is an old RCA in the bed room. Toss it out as it is a 12 volt TV that isn't any good. A 22" HD will be perfect. Make sure you check the air in your spare tire that is mounted in the high compartment rear drivers side. Have a good time and enjoy the coach. Lee and Margie Biloxi, MS
losone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:22 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

2006 Winnebago 29R

We've had our 2006 Winnie 29R for about three years now. It has really exceeded our expectations - well, except for fuel mileage. While I would have loved to find this model on the Workhorse chassis, the 3-Valve V-10 Ford with 5 speed transmission does a pretty good job getting around, but dang - what horrible mileage. On a good day (flat, no toad) we see 7 mpg at about 65 mph!
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We've had our 2006 29R for three years now and love it more and more every trip. Our son lives in the Olympic Peninsula and we live in South Florida so this summer will be our fourth cross country trip to hang out in western Washington. (Port Angeles area) Now at 54K miles and all great on the Ford chassis. Hope you enjoy yours as much as we have ours!
divein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 06:33 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Nosy Question

Just being nosy here,

But, what did y'all pay for your 29R (anyone who has responded can chime in)?

We paid $26,400 for ours ($28K OTD). It had 73K miles when purchased, and in good condition. Had full range with microwave/convection oven, ice maker, full Banks Power Pack. It is a Sightseer SE.

I'm just curious if my agreed-value for insurance is high enough at $28K...
Old 04-04-2019, 07:58 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I just lowered the insured value on mine from $45k down to $35k based on the NADA value and the average price that I saw for ones currently for sale across the country. If mine was totaled I'd probably have a hard time duplicating what I have for the $35k but I was told by insurance agent that Progressive would probably pay out closer to the lower value, even though I had it insured for more.

I bought my 2006 three years ago for $24,500 from a private owner. It had new tires, 23k miles, and was kept under shelter so was basically in ideal condition for a 10 year old RV. Everything else I was looking at was closer to $35k and had higher mileage and in average condition at best. Needless to say I was just very lucky and was ready to buy when this came on market so wasted no time in pulling the trigger.

Loading it up now for a quick week trip to the Florida panhandle!
divein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

2006 Sightseer 29R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Just being nosy here,

But, what did y'all pay for your 29R (anyone who has responded can chime in)?

We paid $26,400 for ours ($28K OTD). It had 73K miles when purchased, and in good condition. Had full range with microwave/convection oven, ice maker, full Banks Power Pack. It is a Sightseer SE

I'm just curious if my agreed-value for insurance is high enough at $28K...
==============================
I suspect we paid too much but it was exactly what we wanted and the only only one we had found. It was the called a SE (Special Edition) with an unusual dinette layout with a cabinet/countertop and a fold up table opposite the sofabed. Only 26K miles and looked so clean as to be almost unused.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:20 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

A related question: Does anyone know how is the SE model different from the standard?
Old 04-05-2019, 05:56 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
A related question: Does anyone know how is the SE model different from the standard?
Not sure. I recently sold my 2006 Sightseer 29R SE. It had special decals and an outside radio. I never found anything else special about the rig.
Old 04-05-2019, 07:44 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I think that at one time I was told it included the outside stereo, the VHS/DVD Combo, the amplified BOMB and something on the interior....
Old 04-08-2019, 06:10 PM   #17

We have the same motorhome we bought in January 2018. Only recently got around to checking how to get the slideouts back in if a motor fails.
Horrors! The bedroom slideout tools are missing! Searched all over and even called Winnebago and Kwikee. Nothing available.
Have designed my own tools form large bolts and studs.
So, take some time to read your manual and look for your tools.
Good luck!
AbbyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:26 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbyMan View Post
We have the same motorhome we bought in January 2018. Only recently got around to checking how to get the slideouts back in if a motor fails.
Horrors! The bedroom slideout tools are missing! Searched all over and even called Winnebago and Kwikee. Nothing available.
Have designed my own tools form large bolts and studs.
So, take some time to read your manual and look for your tools.
Good luck!
Same here. I am going to fabricate something using a deep well socket with notches for the T-head on the drive mechanism.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:39 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DryCreek View Post
Same here. I am going to fabricate something using a deep well socket with notches for the T-head on the drive mechanism.
Thanks for the warning. We take delivery soon and I'll check for manual tools.

Tags
sightseer