Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2007, 04:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

OK before everyone tells us we are Crazy-We are looking at new Journey's and Adventurer's as first time owners...The summers have got to us finally in Arizona and we need to escape for periods of time. We have driven both models and of coarse we find the DP to be an excellent ride, but also find the gas ok for the 50k delta. We have looked at many Class A models and find Winnebago to be of excellent quality and usage of space.
Please help us decide!!!!!!!! Pros and Cons Please
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

OK before everyone tells us we are Crazy-We are looking at new Journey's and Adventurer's as first time owners...The summers have got to us finally in Arizona and we need to escape for periods of time. We have driven both models and of coarse we find the DP to be an excellent ride, but also find the gas ok for the 50k delta. We have looked at many Class A models and find Winnebago to be of excellent quality and usage of space.
Please help us decide!!!!!!!! Pros and Cons Please
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Do a search Diesel vs Gas there's a ton of info.

There are good points and bad for each. How far will you be traveling and for how long? The ride is definetly better but try the Adventurer on the Workhorse if you tested the Ford. You might just be suprised.

I had a 99 35c Adventurer ford, then a 03 Horizon Diesel and now I am back to a 02 Adventurer Workhorse. We just did not use the diesel enough to justify the expense of having it sit. The 99 Ford rode rough and was noisey.
The 02 Workhorse is quite and drives nice and the ride is very good.

Think about how you will use it, if extended trips are in your future then go diesel, just know it is more expensive to maintain...Good Luck and do your homework.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have been driving a '96 Monaco DP for 5 or so years !00,000+ miles and recently went to a '07 Adventurer on a W24 Workhorse. The ride on the Monaco was much better as was the fuel mileage, but as you have found, there is definately a premium for a new DP. We decided to go with a 38T Adventurer and are pleased, so far. It doesn't help that diesel is now cheaper than gasoline (as it should be)! Good luck!
retired2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I've had both a gas and a diesel.....it's like comparing apples and oranges if you ask me with regard to the ride. That being said, 50K is alot of money and I would strongly consider how you are going to be using the coach and which floorplan works better.

My DW and I like to drive from destination to destination staying for 5-7 days then on the road for 5-7 days....hence the ride became very important. If I was driving to a destination and spending a month then I would think really hard about that 50K....it's alot of vacations paid for.
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 11:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

About a year ago we faced the same question. We went with the Journey because of the ride and other preferences. With the Journey we got a 2000 watt inverter that runs just about anything in the coach, the three house batteries last quite a while. It is nice to use the microwave without firing up the generator when camping without hookups at race tracks.

We only wanted to buy one RV, so we went with the one that we felt we could drive for a long time and through mountains with ease. The Journey rides nice and quiet now that I have got all the assorted rattles fixed. So far for the two of us, the Journey has been a great coach. In our case, the price difference once negotiations were done, was less than 30k difference, to us it was worth it to go with the Journey. I would suggest that you drive the gas motorhome for more than a half an hour, up some hills, etc. and make sure you can live with the engine noise and performance. When we drove both, we did not find the gas motorhomes necessarily bad or even loud, just that the diesel was so much better at everything. If you intend to drive a fair amount, you need to decide which environment you want to drive in.

One thing to be aware of is that some of the newer gassers have the higher ceilings, the Journey still does not. For us, that is not an issue, but if you are 6'6" tall or so, that would be an important factor to consider.
CWHTRAINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Having had 2 gas and 2 diesel coaches and after selling a 2004 Monaco Diplomat over a year ago due to health problems, we faced the same issue. We drove a lot of new gas units and also really liked the Adventurer. The bottom line was we just couldn't go back to springs and gas and purchased a used Journey that had been stored inside and was in great shape. Price was about $30K less that a new Adventurer. Just our 2 cents. Good luck---you can't go wrong with Winnebago.
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I had an 02 Adventurer until recently when I upgraded to a Mobile Suite Fifth Wheel. I liked the Ford chassis and served me well without any problems for 5 years. I always regretted not going with the diesel instead of the gass model. I just never could stand the huge depreciation it took to switch from gas to diesel. The gas suspension was just a bone shaker on some Arkansas roads but if I were you I would go with what I could afford. You cannot go wrong with either models. Happy RVing!!!!!!

07 F350 Dually Ford Diesel
R Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:30 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Good advice already given, for sure. We went from gas to diesel and have not regretted it. You can have a great time in either seeing our great country. As others have said, if you will be taking long trips and in mountains a lot, the power and ride of the DP will be appreciated. You can haul more weight (stuff) in most DP's than most gassers and tow more weight if that is a consideration for you. Like John, we found a well maintained used Journey and paid less than a new Adventurer.

Whatever you decide, have fun shopping and come back and share your RV experiences with us.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:10 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

About a year ago I did a long evaluation and selected a diesel Journey. Then the wife and daughter did a floor plan evaluation. >>> Ended up ordering an Adventurer to our specs. This is our third Winnebago gas unit.

2010 GMC Terrain, Demco: Base plate, Excalibar II tow bar, and Sentry Deflector.
Don The Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 05:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Welcome to the forum, Phoenix!

Lots of good advice so far. Mine? Research, research, research! There are not hard and fast answers. It all depends on your own situation.

All the coaches are to drool over!

Rose
Old 05-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Well, I've got nothin'....

Did the same drill about this time last year. I spent 3 days at the LA RV show, and the Meridian 34H caught my attention for a variety of reasons. The National Dolphin was my fav gasser until I compared it against the Adventurer. A night & day difference! Hands down the Adventurer has a much better fit & finish, and system documentation unmatched.

Meridian vs. Adventurer (the Itasca equivalent): If you have the cash, buy the DP because it will outlast your ability to drive it, tow more, carry more, sounds cool, and right now fuel is $.50 cheaper. What I really miss is the center door. I just like the door under the awning and easily accessible, but that's just me. Don't like it but getting over it.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 05:16 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Phoenix,

Like many you are going through the same process. We bought our first RV (TT) last July, traded it in for an Adventurer 38T in October. We couldn't be happier with this model, the floorplan was the big seller for us and then the Winnebago name. We discussed getting a used diesel but the floorplans and space didn't come close to the 38T (of the ones we look at). So our salesperson just asked, will you be driving it a lot? The answer is 'no' for us. I use it for business when I am on contract somewhere instead of hotel. So that answered it for us, why pay 50-80k more for something that will sit.
Now take us to May '07 and I am drooling over the Tour 40TD (love the Vectra but don't want to spend the money). Bottom line is we really want a diesel because we love the lifestyle and see us hopefully going into semi-retirement in 3yrs or so and will travel all over. So do we buy an '07 before the higher prices of the '08 with the change to low emissions diesel? The price is supposed to be +30-50K!!!
What to do...what to do....

Good Luck! The Adventurer is a nice rig...

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote