Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2006, 06:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Our new Winnebago Journey 35H has arrived at the dealer. The PDI is scheduled for next week to meet with the technicial and go over the coach. When the dealer got it in they put in for service and did their pre delivery inspection. It had been winterized from the factory. They drained it and filled with water to check for leaks and then re-winterized it.

We had planned to take two days and spend one night at the dealer's hook up facilities. But being March in Montana, the dealer didn't recommend draining it, filling it with water, and then having to re-winterize. They recommended just dry camping.

Is this a good idea? We do plan on leaving it at the dealer until the weather turns warmer and the road conditions allow us to bring it home. We could postpone our overnight stay and checking out the water systems until then.

What do you recommend for a winter delivery?

Muddy Flats
Muddy Flats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Our new Winnebago Journey 35H has arrived at the dealer. The PDI is scheduled for next week to meet with the technicial and go over the coach. When the dealer got it in they put in for service and did their pre delivery inspection. It had been winterized from the factory. They drained it and filled with water to check for leaks and then re-winterized it.

We had planned to take two days and spend one night at the dealer's hook up facilities. But being March in Montana, the dealer didn't recommend draining it, filling it with water, and then having to re-winterize. They recommended just dry camping.

Is this a good idea? We do plan on leaving it at the dealer until the weather turns warmer and the road conditions allow us to bring it home. We could postpone our overnight stay and checking out the water systems until then.

What do you recommend for a winter delivery?

Muddy Flats
Muddy Flats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 06:27 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

You really need to test out all the coach systems you can to find possible problems ...you won't do a good job of that without actually living in it. We have used our coach over weekends often when it was fully winterized. I wouldn't steer away from the dry camping. If nothing else, you will learn how it handles cold weather!!! We carried bottled water for drinking, and had several gallon jugs of water we used for "flushing." The waste tanks will get enough heat from the furnaces not to freeze while you are living in it. Then you dump the tanks before you go off and leave it unoccupied/unheated. Enjoy!!
Old 03-04-2006, 06:34 PM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

Muddy Flats,Paul gives you some "sound" advice....

Welcome to the forum!!....I see although you've been a member a while you've not posted a lot....Mayne that new coach will give you the chance to share some of your experiences with us!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Muddy Flats I second the welcome to the forum.
If you go up to New RIG Show-off, Lemon MH, maybe some helpful info when you do your PDI. Covers pretty much what you should be looking for.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We picked up our 06 Journey 34H on 12/31/05, after a fairly extensive 2 day pre-acceptance inspection. One think that bothered me at the time was that the manager of the dealership didn't want me to camp in it overnight before I accepted delivery on it - said that if I didn't take it after camping in it - it would be "used". I didn't take him to task on it (perhaps I should have), but rather that's when I extended my PDI to the second day so that I could be more thorough.

All turned out well, as I didn't find anything other that very minor issues that we promptly resolved while I waited. In fact, to date, the biggest problem I found was a leak in one of the compartments which has been fixed.

Good luck with your coach - I hope your enjoy yours as much as we have been enjoying ours!

1997 Honda Civic TOAD
Tweke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:12 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Muddy Flats, If you run your propane furnace only, you should push enough heat down into the compartment area to keep things from freezing up. Some people have trouble with freezing when they supplement their living area heat with electric space heaters which reduces the amount of heat being forced down into the lower compartments with the propane forced air furnace.

If you want to use electric space heaters, put them down in the lower compartments and let the heat rise up.

Winter has really lost it's grip but if you did have a cold blast of 10 degrees or less with a strong wind you could always winterize. It takes less than 10 minutes and 2 gallons of anti freeze.

You can see what the weather guessers are predicting for your area at www.wunderground.com

Here's the weather for Great Falls (if your handle is your location )
Great Falls 7 day guess

Good luck and enjoy that beautiful rig!!
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote