Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

We have been looking at used diesel pushers for a few months, but have not found the perfect combination of floorplan, condition, etc. We place a high premium on good factory support.

We looked at a new 2007 36' Journey Special Edition last weekend and we really were impressed. Apparently, Winnie built a number of these nicely equipped, but not palatial coaches. The 300 Cummings and air suspension gave a great ride and ample power. List was about 179,000 and we were offered a deal at 139,000 (we have not done any negation as yet).

We are interested, but wondered if this would be a better option than a 3 - 5 year old higher line pusher. We plan to travel fulltime for a couple years in whatever we get.

Thanks for your insights!
Rick

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

We have been looking at used diesel pushers for a few months, but have not found the perfect combination of floorplan, condition, etc. We place a high premium on good factory support.

We looked at a new 2007 36' Journey Special Edition last weekend and we really were impressed. Apparently, Winnie built a number of these nicely equipped, but not palatial coaches. The 300 Cummings and air suspension gave a great ride and ample power. List was about 179,000 and we were offered a deal at 139,000 (we have not done any negation as yet).

We are interested, but wondered if this would be a better option than a 3 - 5 year old higher line pusher. We plan to travel fulltime for a couple years in whatever we get.

Thanks for your insights!
Rick

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
Old 05-08-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The '08 Journeys get a new look, at least one new floorplan, and who knows what else.

Might be able to really deal on an '07 if you like it.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 10:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

My neighbor came home with a Meridian SE after I got beat up for being the 1st on the block with my 34H

He's OK with the power towing a toybox (is that a 5 or 6 speed Allison?)to Glamis frequently but I think is a tad turned off by some of the things that were VE'd off the coach. The biggest one he complains about are the lack of powered visors that he always needs and can't reach while on the road. There are a few others I can't think of that you can always add back, since I susbect they're all cables the samep

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Rick this is going to be your call..I would opt for something 2/3 years old staying with the Winnie line or if you like go for something more upscale. Country Coach?

Let someone else take the depreciation hit and most likely has gotten the bugs out. It took me about two years to get the bugs out of a new coach...Plus you MIGHT have to deal with the ULSD engines. You will get replies favoring either one of your choices. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Jim has the right idea, unless you absolutely have to have a new coach. We have the Journey and like the rig for our current use. If I was going to full time, I would be looking for a mid to high end used coach. If you will be driving a lot and camping in all climates you might appreciate independent front suspension, a larger engine, better insulation and heated storage bays...none of which the Journey has.

Don't get me wrong, the Journey is a good value for it's price. Suggest you drive other rigs...something with IFS, perhaps a Spartan chassis.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Two things to consider regarding buying new vs. used:

Warranty -- be sure to add this to your calculations when looking at used vs. new. It's probably worth $3-4K (and worth it).

The 2008 model year coaches will have the new diesel engine which has an exhaust particulate system to meet the new EPA standards, and MUST run the ULSD fuel. This adds anywhere from $5-10K to the price of the coach.

So if you find a gently used 2-3 year old diesel at the right price, you may also save yourself the 'first year headaches' getting all the nits and nats out of it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:49 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
I first hand compared my '05 34H with most all the options and a '07 SE 34H back in March. Came away pretty quickly realizing I couldn't tolerate missing so many functional options. The only thing the SE had that I would have wanted is drawers in place of an oven which now is only used for storage anyway.

That said when we bought our coach we had been looking for used and simply couldn't find one that met our requirements. The Journey we found was perfect and we got 26% off MSRP mid-year.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
We got over 20% off of a brand new loaded 39K Journey. It has the CAT 350 Hp and the 6 speed Allison. It also has the older engine, so we're not tied to the new fuel. Check around the Winnebago dealers. It seems that they have some new 2006 units on the lot with alot of equipment on them, and with the 2008 being released very soon, they want to get rid of them to free up inventory dollars.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 05-09-2007, 03:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I agree with vicsryd. We also have an 05 34H, but in the Itasca line. I really felt good when we went to the RV show and upon leaving, the wife said she didn't like anything there more than ours! We also looked at an SE, and kept finding things missing that our had.

We bought slightly used (10k miles) and have had no problems.
THutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Many thanks for these replies. I think this approach makes a lot of sense, so we will keep looking around.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD