Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2015, 06:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

New 2-me 2006 Journey 36G

I've purchased it from the original owner, and it has 52000 miles on it. He says that he never had the valves adjusted on the CAT C7 350hp engine. He did say that the coach was driven to California (where we live) and it may have been done automatically by the dealer when it got here. Any thoughts as to whether this was done without him knowing?
Flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

GlenB...I would have it done to be sure... Keeping these motors up to date on maintenance items is $ well spent..I have the cat c7 300...
GlenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfshr View Post
I've purchased it from the original owner, and it has 52000 miles on it. He says that he never had the valves adjusted on the CAT C7 350hp engine. He did say that the coach was driven to California (where we live) and it may have been done automatically by the dealer when it got here. Any thoughts as to whether this was done without him knowing?
Flyfshr,
Congrats on the purchase of a great coach with a great engine. The C-7, any version (HP rating) is an outstanding engine. I'd bet my house that a dealer, especially an RV dealer will not touch that engine if they don't need to in order to sell that coach. Ours has 60K on it and, I'm real sure they've never been adjusted. It's on the "to-do" list for sure. Did you get any manuals, maintenance reports, brochures, anything with the coach?

It would behoove you to sit down and go through them if you did. I've done a ton of work on ours, a kind-of sister ship to yours, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330 HP CAT engine and Allison 3000MH trans. You'll find lots of experience in many CAT owners on this forum. They'll be glad to assist in many questions. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

New 2-me 2006 36G Journey

Thank you gentalmen for your input. I will have it done because I follow the "ounce of prevention" rule, and believe that anything worth having, is worth taking care of. The exterior and interior have been kept up nicely, so only some maintainence items to take care of. Happy travels.
Flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 07:22 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Flyfshr; I have a 2004 and had the valves adjusted. You might consider to having the radiator hoses and thermostat, coolant, and fan belts changed out at the same time. Also, check the condition of the coolant tank as mine leaked at the seam. Also, a fuel filter, air filter and air dryer filter change may be in order. Have fun with the Rv.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 02:52 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Me too!! 36 g!!

Congrats on your new to you ride!! We just got ours too!! Same coach, only the 300 Cummins....The Cummins rolls pretty good. I can imagine what that CAT does!!
Foodgod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:55 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Welcome FlyFishr...We have the 06 Meridian with a 350 Cat in it. It's got 34,000 on it and I have never adjusted the valves. From the sound of this forum though, I need to start thinking about it.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Well I've decided to wait until next spring, as this is a big expense. When I had the coach serviced, they told me that the radiator needed to be cleaned and they did it with a bunch of degreaser and high pressure spray from the engine area for $100. I have made two weekend trips in the coach now, and I'm very happy with its performance. In the fall, the transmission will be serviced and I'm installing a "Super Steer" bell crank to the steering system. Thanks to all for your input to the valve adjustment question I had.

Tags
journey