Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2018, 07:11 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Need some Advice 2001 Journey

I am in the process of negotiating the purchase a 2001 Journey. 36DL

I would appreciate any advise on what to look for that may be unique to this model. I have not yet traveled to see the unit and have learned that it has been idle for some unknown time, which gives me some concern. I believe the tires and batteries will need to be replaced.

I have been traveling in a TT for several years and am familiar with the things common to the TT and a DP. I am also familiar with diesel engines.

Thanks

Howard
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

This could be a check list the size of a old phonebook, but.......

Having ourselves purchased a "new to us" Journey several years ago, I would offer that all fluids should be suspect. Engine/genset coolant, trans, engine/genset oil, differential, front wheel wet axles, hydraulic system, on and on. Unless you have a clear history of maintenance, just replace them and call it your baseline.

You are on track re: tires and batteries.

If you can and are able, get flat on your back and work your way underneath from stem to stern -- rodents, rodents, rodents. Open the engine access and inspect. Cycle every on board system. Remote genset start, slideouts, water heater, HVAC, inverter, etc. Does your OneStop Center give correct readings? 30amp? 50amp? Genset? Shed order lights lit? Condition of waste tanks? Potable water tank? Water in fuel tank?

Yes, you can hire a "professional" to do this, and it wouldn't hurt, but having firsthand knowledge before the "professional" weighs in is invaluable. After all, where will he/she be when you break down between Why and Mule Creek?

Many folks get wrapped around interior coach cosmetics. Usually those are fixable/doable by the determined amateur. Chassis, slideouts and roof are game stoppers in my opinion.

Then there is the old frontal approach, "Anything you know of need work?"

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

You should look carefully for evidence of rust around the front window frame. Or cracks in the windows. $3,000 to have your rusted out frame replace or repaired if it's in bad shape. (The PO may have protected those windows with several DIY measures).

Check the ground lug under the RV on the drivers side (approx. below the table area) under and forward of the hydrualic system for corrosion. If that's corroded, it causes all sorts of intermittant issues with the slides extending or retracting, and the jacks extending. Just reef on the nut if you have an issue, then later at home, take it all apart and clean the terminals. In my case, the bolt was so rusted it broke off so I had to drill new holes.

Check for water leaks inside, especially around the slides. Look for stains on the ceiling especially where the end cap seams would be. There should be Eternabond tape on the end cap seams, front and rear. Make sure all the sealed items on the roof are still sealed well.

One item on the Freightliner chassis with the Cat engine to look for is the Surge Tank failure. It's a maintenance item that needs to be replaced at around 70,000 miles. They are plastic and weep antifreeze as they go bad. Usually you have enough time after you spot it weeping that you can limp to a spot where you can replace it or have it replaced. 2 hour job but some take 6 hours. Tank is $125.

The biggest and most costly issue is the seal holding the fiberglass roof on both sides of the RV that run from front to back starting around the end cap seams. Make sure that the ROOF is tucked tightly into the extruded aluminum edge cap. That seal is what holds the roof on in the wind and it's only a thin bead running along the roof edge. If the roof rips off because that seal fails, it's $10,000 or so to fix. And insurance won't pay for it generally.

Check out my RV Repair Blog for an extensive list of the issues I've had in the two years since I bought the rig: RV Repair Section - 2002 Winnebago Journey | Chaos Leaves Town

During all my work on the RV, I can say that I really appreciate how well the Journeys of this era are put together. Well made even in hidden areas. Hope the one you may buy is as good a rig. Good luck!

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 05:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

This isn't unique to the Journey but check for signs of leakage around all hydraulic connections, particularly where the hose fittings are swaged to the hoses. There have been issues with HWH's hoses from the early 2000s. I had to replace several of mine on my 2002 Itasca Suncruiser 35U after purchasing it last Nov. The hoses aren't too expensive but having them replaced can run pretty high.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Hi,
Enjoyed the same rig for 4 years and 25,000 miles. Great RV that will throughly enjoy. Go for it
pine tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We purchased 01 Journey 36DL this spring, and love it! I should have gotten a professional inspection done, but didn't. Previous owner (s) did many upgrades and kept in great condition. Only thing needing work so far was replacing the plastic coolant surge tank, had done at Freightliner. Being 17 yrs old, will probably have more things go out but hope it is manageable. Seems to be very well built and good quality for the price.
Seacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacrazy View Post
We purchased 01 Journey 36DL this spring, and love it! I should have gotten a professional inspection done, but didn't. Previous owner (s) did many upgrades and kept in great condition. Only thing needing work so far was replacing the plastic coolant surge tank, had done at Freightliner. Being 17 yrs old, will probably have more things go out but hope it is manageable. Seems to be very well built and good quality for the price.

Just curious...wondering how many hours it took Freightliner shop to do your surge tank replacement?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

They charged $500 labor, at I think $140/hr so 3.5 hrs. They said it took more time to actually complete than they actually quoted & charged. And, $76 for the tank. All before sales tax.
Seacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

I just purchased a 2001 Journey 34 DG two weeks ago. Put on new Toyos and took for a safety inspection. The shop foreman showed me the leak on the surge tank...the previous owner had one in the storage area. Paid $469 for labor to replace it. Love my new to me rig. Looking forward to taking it on our first trip! BTW, this site is fantastic for finding info about Winnies, invaluable to a new owner.
kpwhubert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, journey