Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2018, 01:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Need help with turn signals

My turn signals work except there is no sound that warns me they are still on when they should be off. Would appreciate any help or suggestions on what the problem is. I have called Freightliner and Winnebago for help and have not gotten any answers that help solve the problem.
Roy Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 06:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I think what you are saying is that the turn signals do not turn off when you are finished your turn. Is that correct? Does this happen all the time, or only on gentle turns or exit lanes.

Most people get used to looking at the dashboard to see if the blinking lights are still on. It just becomes a habit, like looking at your gauges as you drive along.
VI Roamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you want some kind of warning signal when the signal lights are on, you will need to buy one and install it your self, or have it installed. You can find info on this on the internet. Look up "turn signal alarm". Maybe, by chance, your unit is relatively new and is supposed to have something? You don't mention the make, model and year.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

This seems to be a prevalent problem. Most turn signal flashers make a clicking sound but in our motorhomes, they're often not mounted where you can hear them over the ambient noise level.

Depending on your model and year, it may be a challenge to find your flashers in order to install the alarm. You probably have two, one for the turn signals and one for your hazard lights. Generally they are small, cylindrical, metal cans (Google "turn signal flasher" for typical images). One of mine is up inside the far left hand corner of the dash lid and the other is simply dangling down near the emergency brake pedal.

This may help with solutions:
http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...er-126837.html
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I forgot - I have a "built-in" alarm when my wife is in the vehicle.
Phil-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:28 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Help with turn signal issue on Winnebago Vectra.

I forgot to post info on what type of vehicle my question applied to when i made my post. So I drive a 40 foot 2004 Winnebago Vectra KD. I am trying to find out why my turn signals do not make the dinging sound while they are on. It did do this and then it quit. My emergency flasher does not make any sound when it is turned on either. I had the same experience other have had when both Winnebago and Freightliner have given me answers that are obvious wrong. If anyone had had this problem and found a solution I would appreciate knowing what causes this problem.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I take my reminder also but she is tired of telling me to turn the signals off. So fixing them would be a blessing for both of us.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

On the Frieghtliner chassis the entire system in mounted on the steering column and the lever is part of it. It is completely electronic and makes no noise. You will have to install something if you want to hear the old clicking sound of an old mechanical flasher relay. There are a few guys that have done it over on the IRV2 site, they might have made their way here. Good luck
SANDPSYCHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:19 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

There is a "Clicker" that needs 12 volt ignition (on) voltage, a dash ground, and a signal from the original flasher input from the turn signal switch. The "Clicker" can mount anywhere that your "old" ears can still hear. I have installed several for silent, or hidden
flashers. You can also use a thin metal plate. Cut a hole for a tight fit of the original flasher, and mount the plate (wire length permitting) under the dash to provide a sound
reflector to the forementioned ears.
Speedojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:55 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

We had a 2005 Journey, Freightliner that did not have audible turn signals, I bought a unit online and my husband installed them.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:57 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Woods View Post
My turn signals work except there is no sound that warns me they are still on when they should be off. Would appreciate any help or suggestions on what the problem is. I have called Freightliner and Winnebago for help and have not gotten any answers that help solve the problem.

Is this a new issue? Did you hear the turn signal in the past? If so, take a look at this wiring diagram from Winne resources: http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_144986.pdf My old eyes are not good enough to pick out the details.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

On my diesel, the "buzzer/clicker" module is in the electric bay under the driver. If EVERYTHING including the engine is turned off, AND you are very quiet it can be heard in the driver seat. That is very typical. I got an 86d Piezo buzzer from Radio Shack several years ago, removed the clicker/buzzer in the electric bay & re-inserted it with the buzzer leads under the prongs (test it before fully inserting as the Piezo buzzer is particular about polarity), then fed the buzzer up the wire-way to the floor just to the left of the driver's foot. It works great. I have also installed them for friends with gas coaches ... more challenging because they are normally somewhere under the dash and you have find them by listening very carefully and following the sound ... I almost could not get out from under one dash & from between the seat and doghouse after I got it installed! Radio Shack is pretty much gone, but you should be able to find them online for just a few dollars each.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

What bugs me about all this is why doesn't Winnebago do this right in the first place?

At a minimum, they should mount the relays so one can hear the internal clicker. Ideally by adding an audible buzzer to the turn signal and hazard circuits. I know they don't manufacture the chassis but for what a new motorhome costs, this isn't too much to ask.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

I just tested mine directional. I think there is a high pitch squeal when it is on. Not certain because I am deaf in the range. I notice the signal on the dash when driving or my wife will remind me that it is on.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:05 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Where is the flasher module in the Mercedes 3500 Chases?
I have the same problem in my 2016 View:
1. Even with the dash lights adjusted to full brightness the blinking arrows are barely visible and
2. The sound of the flasher clicking is overcome by the ambient noise level.
msbk is offline   Reply With Quote