Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Need help with Itasca

I have a 2001 Itasca Horizan MH with a 330 HP Cat engine -55K miles. After starting yesterday, the transmission light on the dash started buzzing. The unit would not go into any gear. I turned the engine off and tried to restart, would not even turn over. When you turn the key on, everything lights up and goes thru the normal procedures, although the light on the gear shift does not come on - 6 speed Allison transmission. Checked fuses, breakers, battery strong. Anybody out there got any ideas? Thanks
jagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Did you check the transmission fluid, in fact all fluids. I believe that if the systems will shut down if fluids are low.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan View Post
i have a 2001 itasca horizan mh with a 330 hp cat engine -55k miles. After starting yesterday, the transmission light on the dash started buzzing. The unit would not go into any gear. I turned the engine off and tried to restart, would not even turn over. When you turn the key on, everything lights up and goes thru the normal procedures, although the light on the gear shift does not come on - 6 speed allison transmission. Checked fuses, breakers, battery strong. Anybody out there got any ideas? Thanks
don't be afraid to call tech service at winnebago. They are great and willing to help.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Actually, I'd call Freightliner at 1-800-FTL-HELP since its a chassis issue.

Super helpful group.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

How did you test the chassis batteries to insure they're "strong"? If you just checked voltage at the battery, you could still have a chassis ground problem.

I think I'd check the grounds before doing too much more. Just follow the negative battery cable to the chassis. If necessary, remove the bolt(s) and wire brush the area to shine and reassemble. Poor grounding causes a lot of weird electrical problems.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for your help, I have checked fluids, battery connections, fuses, ground wires, talked with Winnebago, Freightliner, and Allison. Their response is that it could be the "ecu modular" or the "vim modular". Unfortunately the unit cannot be moved unless we short the starter to start and if the unit is locked in gear, this could be a real safety problem. Since most mobile repair units don't have the diagnostic machines to check the default codes, do you have any other ideas, other than a tow to a shop and wait for several months to fix.
Thanks again
jagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan View Post
Thanks for your help, I have checked fluids, battery connections, fuses, ground wires, talked with Winnebago, Freightliner, and Allison. Their response is that it could be the "ecu modular" or the "vim modular". Unfortunately the unit cannot be moved unless we short the starter to start and if the unit is locked in gear, this could be a real safety problem. Since most mobile repair units don't have the diagnostic machines to check the default codes, do you have any other ideas, other than a tow to a shop and wait for several months to fix.
Thanks again

Dynamite - claim it was a terrorist attack.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Mobile units do have diagnostics

Mobile units do have diagnostic capabilities. It is just a laptop that plugs in to the ECM. It could be as simple as a coolant sensor that thinks you are out of coolant, and has shut the thing down. It won't start until they clear the code. The dealer can program the unit so it won't shut down, just flash codes.

There is nothing worse than driving in heavy traffic or down the interstate, and having the thing shut down. You will have less than 30 seconds to get to the shoulder. Our trucks are programed not to shut down, and drivers trained to retrieve codes so they can talk to service people, before they send someone out, or maybe we can limp in.
Mike Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

You might check around and find a cat mechanic that wants to make extra money on the side and a good one can put his hands on the laptop.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Do you have an Emergency Road Service such as CoachNet? If so go with the tow option to the nearest FL service center. It more then likely will NOT take a couple of months to repair. Maybe a couple of days to a week is more likely. If you don't have ERS start shopping around for a mobile diesel mechanic. Most have the diagnostic equipment you need.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:20 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Had a similar problem with my 2005 Horizon, called Allison at 1800-2525ATD and the tech ran me through a series of checks and low and behold the problem cleared up. give them a call and see what happens.

don, WIT 70041
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote