Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-30-2006, 11:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I have an Itasca Suncruiser 32V. I have decided to replace the 30-amp shore power with 50 amps. The transfer switch is 4-pole, rated for 50 amps. The breaker panel is rated for 220V 100 amps. I have the shore power cord and I need to run a #6 cable from the transfer swicth to the breaker panel.

That's where the my problem is. This coach has a space between the floor and the bottom of the coach that appears to be where the 110V wires are run. The transfer switch is in the rear on the left and the breaker panel is by the door on the left.

Has anyone run a line from one to the other? Is there a runway where the wire can go? If I have to run the line under the coach, it that a problem?

I'm going to call around to see if I can find a tradesman who has done this before. I'm pretty handy and I have run a lot wires and wired a lot of circuits, but I'll gladlyu pat someone to run this one.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have an Itasca Suncruiser 32V. I have decided to replace the 30-amp shore power with 50 amps. The transfer switch is 4-pole, rated for 50 amps. The breaker panel is rated for 220V 100 amps. I have the shore power cord and I need to run a #6 cable from the transfer swicth to the breaker panel.

That's where the my problem is. This coach has a space between the floor and the bottom of the coach that appears to be where the 110V wires are run. The transfer switch is in the rear on the left and the breaker panel is by the door on the left.

Has anyone run a line from one to the other? Is there a runway where the wire can go? If I have to run the line under the coach, it that a problem?

I'm going to call around to see if I can find a tradesman who has done this before. I'm pretty handy and I have run a lot wires and wired a lot of circuits, but I'll gladlyu pat someone to run this one.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I've not yet done this, but have done quite a bit of research on doing it to my coach. There are too many times when we have 50A available, but have to be very careful with our use to make do with the 30A service we currently have.

From all of my conversations with WI and several dealers, what is involved is changing out one double circuit breaker in the service panel, the physical wiring from the transfer switch to the breaker box, wiring from the breaker to the AC for the second compressor. I have not gotten a definitive answer yet, but it looks like the breaker on the generator will need to be changed to a higher amp (I forget right now, but think it was from a 20 to a 30A breaker)

I'll be watching to see any answers you may get to physically running the wiring.

Good Luck,

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 12:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Check out this link for 50 amp service. http://www.bobhatch.com/electricStuff/now_its_50amp.htm

Gary
brgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 01:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I have figured out all the wiring changes that I need to make. I know about changing out the circuit breakers. The only problem is physically running the line itself. I have exchanged emails with Bob Hatch. Running the #6 wire is the only thing he hired someone to do.

Thanks for your responses.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Location: Fulltiming. Living wherever the jacks hit the ground.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrschwarz:
I have figured out all the wiring changes that I need to make. I know about changing out the circuit breakers. The only problem is physically running the line itself. I have exchanged emails with Bob Hatch. Running the #6 wire is the only thing he hired someone to do.

Thanks for your responses. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes we have, and that's one thing that we didn't really address. The guy at the Winnebago dealer ran the wire under the coach. We did put split loom(sp) over the wire, and wire tied it to the frame. If you want me to take a couple of pictures and send them to you, I will do that ASAP.

In my MH the ATS is on the left rear of the rig, not all the way back, but close. The breaker is on the right, passenger side, and about 1/2 way up the coach, under the fridge. He ran the wire from the ATS, across the rig, out the bottom of the bay, and along the frame rail. He had already drilled a hole up into the area under the fridge, ran the wire up there, and left it for me to finish. He did fill all the open area around the wire with silicon.

Like I said, if you want pictures, let me know.

Keep on truckin and you'll getter done.
Old 07-30-2006, 01:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

We have an 01 Adventurer that came with the 50 amp service. I have been inside several of the walls and traced most of the wiring. As close as I can tell the wires run from the transfer switch through the subfloor under bathroom, across the hallway, and come up under the stove. Then they run in a channel above the main floor and under a false floor beneath and behind the sink to the breaker box by the coach door.

You'll probably need a fish tape to run from the switch to the port under the stove. It could be a bit tough to get the end of the tape up through floor. There isn't a lot of room and it's in the back behind the charger/converter.

Running them from the stove to the breaker box should be a bit easier especially if you remove the breaker box and go backward to the stove area. There are a lot of wires running through the channel so it could be a challenge to get through without getting hung up.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Hatch:
Like I said, if you want pictures, let me know.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, please!
Old 07-31-2006, 07:48 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I want to follow this.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Michael, I sent the pics. If you don't get them let me know.

Bob
Old 07-31-2006, 10:22 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homer:
I want to follow this. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Homer, what is it you want to follow? The whole conversion, or just running the 6/3?
Old 07-31-2006, 11:16 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

This entire conversion at least as much as will be discussed on this forum. I have been told it could not be done, but never bought into that premise. I am way short on electrical savvy, so this may be a good primer.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:25 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

If you run it under the coach be sure and use UF cable. It should also be in an approved conduit, such as Carlon flexible conduit. It looks like the low voltage loom, but is UL rated. It can be found at Menards, Lowes etc. Secure it often so it can't droop or get caught on something.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 01:59 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Homer, I had folks tell me it could not be done as well. Talked to a couple of RV service centers, both Winnebago, and one said it could be done, and another said it couldn't be done.

About 5 or 6 months of research, getting the wiring diagrams from Winnebago, talking to customer service at Winnebago, I determined it could be done, then I did it. It cost me around $400 or so, and ate a day and a half of my time, but I leaned a lot, and now have 50 amp service. Biggest expense was the shore power cord at over $140.00. Next down was having the 6/3 wire installed at the shop.

Here is what I did:
http://www.bobhatch.com/electricStuff/30to50amp.htm

It's not something you should attempt unless you have a better than average understanding of electric wiring.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:47 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Bob Hatch: Thank you very much for sending the pictures of your conversion. You sure did a neat clean job of it and in great detail. I am electrically challanged, but have a huge interest in it. Most of all you have proven it can be done and the total cost is reasonable, if you can do the work yourself. I have a pretty close friend that is licensed electrician. I will have to talk this over with him. I intend to store your pictures for future reference. Thanks for the great response and pictures.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:59 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I received your email this morning, but I'll respond here so everyone else can follow along, too.

It appears that the layout of your coach is sufficiently different that I will have to route the wire differently. I will use the mounts and will run it along the frame.

I noticed that your ATS is exposed to the bottom of the subfloor. Mine is in a blow molded compartmentl. I'll be drilling a hole in the box to pass the wire through.

One of the electrical issues is with the 2nd compressor of the the AC system. I am out of town, but if I remember correctly, the output of the breaker for the 2nd compressor travels to the ATS, where it is either connected to the compressor (when connected to shore power), or the second circuit of the generator connects the compressor (when the generator is running).

Both wires are inside the ATS. When I put in the new shore power cable and #6 wire, there won't be enough room for the AC wires, but they need to be connected together. I plan to get an outdoor, surface mount electrical box to out them in.

Do you see anything wrong with doing it this way?

Thanks so much for your help. If I can pry my digital camera from my daughter's fingers I will photo document the process and post the pictures.

Michael
Old 07-31-2006, 04:31 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Darn, I can't believe I didn't put the picture on the site of how I handled that, but, that's exactly what I did. I installed a junction box on the roof of the compartment, put the AC wires in that box, wire nutted together.

It's these wires that went in the J-box.
http://www.bobhatch.com/electricStuff/ac_wires.htm

Don't forget, you can put that old 10/2 wire to good use. Add a new receptacle to that side of the rig.
http://www.bobhatch.com/electricStuff/newplug.htm
Old 07-31-2006, 04:49 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I think what I will do is to put the wires in the box and put the outlet on the front. Takes care of everything at the same time.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:36 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

OK. Here's where I am this morning. I didn't get UF wire because the shape (it's like a fat ribbon cable). I bought a roll of Carlon tubing. great stuff! I ran it from the back of the transfer switch comparment, along the frame rail, past the gas tank and under the slider. Today, I am going to run it inside the compartment that goes from under the slider to the other side of the coach.

There is a hole on the right side where all the wires running under the kitchen cabinet run past. I'll run the wire in there.

I have a couple of questions: I see that all of the wires are in split wire loom. Is that for abrasion resistance? I wasn't planning to cover the wire once it gets into the compartment. Do you think I should continue to use the Carlon tubing inside the compartment, too?

The other question I have is for the circuit breakers. I went to Lowe's think I could get the couple of breakers that I need. They never heard of a double breaker with one 50 and one 20-amp breaker. Any ideas where I can get them?

For the time being, I am going to get a single 50-amp breaker for the second leg. I'll connect the first leg to the existing 30 amp one that is being used for the main breaker now. It's too small for true 50 amps, but should be sufficient since the whole box is running in it now.

When the job is complete, I'll post some pictures.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:02 AM   #20
Winnebago Master

You should be able to make your own double breaker by "ganging" them with the holes provided in the breaker. If the breaker isn't meant for ganging, you can make your own by drilling thru the two beakers and pinning them.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote