Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2019, 10:23 PM   #1
Barry Jensen

Unhappy Need Advice on Paint problem with Forest City Service

Hi,
New to this site, been on IRV2 for a while. I asked there and am hoping this forum will zero in more closely on the people who might be able to help me.

I have a problem with some paint work Forest City did on our 2011 Ellipse last fall. We had some spider cracks in the clear coat on the Bed slide out and had them fix it. When we got the coach back (mid December) we took it to TX and put it in storage. Took it out late in May and made our way (slowly) to Freightliner, Gaffney.

We had it at Forest City because 7 days after purchasing the coach last summer (used, obviously) we were hit in the rear. $75k damage (needed a new end cap and complete driver side wall) so we took it to the factory, figuring where else to get that kind of repair. We dropped it off in August knowing they wouldn't start work until late October. While it was going to be there for quite a while, I gave them a list of things we wanted them to check out and fix. Things we knew about when we bought it or discovered in those few days we had owned it. Just got them fixed sooner than we figured...

Well, when we got back to NH this summer, I noticed the clear coat is peeling around the Ellipse decal on the Bed slide out in three places. I contacted Forest City service about the problem, sent photos and explained how I can tell the clear coat is from their repair. They claim someone else must have painted the coach prior to our purchase (not true, I have contacted the previous owner) because the defect is not close enough to the area of the spider cracks. Even if it was their bad, the 90 day warranty had expired and they won't fix it unless I pay to have it done. Seriously. I have it in writing.

Anyone looking at the slide out can tell the peeling is occurring where they blended the clear coat from the new into the old. I offered to take it to a local dealer to have them look at it, as I believe anyone looking at the problem would come to the same conclusion I have - it is Forest City's work that is going bad. They didn't take me up on the offer.

Any advice on how I can get satisfaction on this issue? At present, I have asked to bump it up to the ladder at Winnebago.

Not to pile on... but, I also had them fix the dash AC, which they supposedly did. In December, we had no need. When we picked it up from indoor storage in TX in May, no AC. Got the 90 day warranty response on that. I had it re-fixed in Gaffney for about $500 (Winnie's bill was about $900). Also, on the work list for Forest City was to check the radiator and fan clutch as the temperature was running high. No problems found ($130) - no problems in December driving (cold weather)... In May, the high temps were back. Gaffney fixed it - bad fan clutch (which I specifically asked Forest City to check out).

On a positive side, they did a great job on the accident repairs. no peeling clear coat there. Looks (and feels) like it never happened. They also did some repairs to the long slide and a couple other things. Good job on that too. Total bill (non-accident) was $4k.

I let the AC go, and understand Forest City is not a chassis shop so can let the fan clutch go as well, but the paint issue really has my ire. Any help in how to obtain satisfaction is greatly appreciated. They charged just under $1,000 to repair the spider cracks. The peeling clear coat is a much more serious eyesore than were the cracks and a proper repair will probably exceed that cost by a significant amount.

Barry Jensen
bjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 06:37 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Welcome to the group! Winnebago does paint work in-house with their own folks - and also uses CDI (located in Forest City). CDI does the paint work for the new builds and a major part of the repair work. Who did your work?

As an owner, I use CDI directly to do repairs / paint work, and have been very satisfied with quality and price.

Looks like you have three options to consider. One - take it to a local shop and get it re-done. If its only a clear coat repair it could be fairly reasonable.

Two - take it back to WBGO and let them see the coach, and make your case again.

Three - call Josh Faber at CDI (641)585-5900 and talk it over with him. Pics may help, and have CDI ready as a plan B if you can't work something out with WBGO. From my experience their prices are lower than most/all other other shops.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:45 PM   #3
Barry Jensen

Hi Steve,
Thank you for the advice. There is a RV body shop not too far from me. I can take it there to get a quote. Maybe you are correct and it won't be too expensive.

At first I was going to have the spider cracks repaired at CDI and mentioned this to the service person at Winnebago when I there to drop it off. He talked me out it because - due to the accident damage, they would have it in the paint shop anyways, so fixing the spider cracks would be no big deal. I am assuming Winnebago did the repair.

Maybe a call to CDI would tell me for sure.

It is a long way to IA just to get another "no". But as you say, maybe CDI can be ready to "fit me in".

What really gets me it Winnie's attitude. Maybe that would change if face to face, looking at the job.
Barry Jensen
Old 07-17-2019, 01:34 PM   #4
Barry Jensen

Quick update,
Winnebago contacted me today and said I could take it to a local body shop and they will talk to them before making a final decision. I want to propose scheduling CDI to fix it next summer, and bring it in then and let the three of us, CDI, Winnebago and myself decide who will do what and who will pay what. I have some other minor things I want to have done by CDI anyways - replace the diamond shield, look at top cap, so the timing works well for me.

Do you think this is a reasonable request on my part, to request putting off resolution until next summer?
Barry Jensen
Old 07-17-2019, 09:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Get something in writing, get the names of all the parties involved in this offer they've given you. I had work done May '18 and their work at Forest City wasn't any better than any other shop.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 10:00 PM   #6
Site Team

A Bird in hand....

Why put off ‘til tomorrow what you can....

Next Summer? Really?
Old 07-18-2019, 05:03 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Glad to hear there's some movement in the issue. It's mighty attractive to have a local shop do the work and save you the considerable time and $$s for a RT.

You can also have the shop give you a private quote for the other work needed - to be done at the same time as the repair.

As always, it's an owner's choice of what / where / and when - do what's best for you and your situation - it will all work out ...
Old 07-29-2019, 06:30 AM   #8
'08 Itasca Ellipse 40WD.

I totally agree with Lv2Roam2's response. We have had 2 major body repairs done by CDI in Forest City and been completely satisfied. Several in our Chief Winnies KC Winnebago club have had good experiences too. The Winnebago plant has all (?) their painting done at CDI, so just go there direct and talk to Josh. It is just across the street from the main Winnebago plant. Perhaps Winnebago sub-let your paint job originally to CDI, but if they did even more reason to talk direct to Josh.
rkennedy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, paint, service