Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Mystery under bed of Journey 39K

I have a new to me 2007 Journey 39K and I was exploring under the bed today and found a bit of a mystery. Under the bed on the opposite the engine hatch was a piece of 1/2" plywood screwed down to the carpeted floor. I removed it and found a big hole in the floor leading half to the electrical bay (you can see light as the electrical outer bay door is open)and half to whatever is behind the electrical bay. The hole is neatly cut with rounded corners and one side is almost even with the wood bed frame. It looks factory, but no evidence of an official cover or other original attachments. Can't find anything in the owners manual about it. Any ideas what it is/was and what should be there (cover)? See pics.

Thanks!
Jay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	J39K-Mystery.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	104460   Click image for larger version

Name:	J39K - Hole.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	104461  

Old 08-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Maybe you have the ice house fishing option…. Sorry bad Minnesota joke.

My Winnebago has two vertical screens in the bed frame. I think that they are part of the basement A/C unit that my MH does not have.

I am guessing that Winnebago had a surplus of screened bed frames in my case and made a model change or goof in your case.
JoeSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Nice try with the Ice fishing :-)

When I initially saw the hole, I thought maybe it was for a safe the PO had, but it is a split by the back wall of the shore power bay. It is on the bathroom (front) side of the East-West bed, so would be a BIG whoops if it was related to the basement air that is about 5 feet away.

Jay
Old 08-24-2015, 06:08 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have a 39K and don't remember that panel. I think mine is carpet but I need to check - If I don't get back to you tomorrow send me a PM as a reminder. I do remember an opening down there but thought it was towards the middle of the bed and (I think) the purpose is to allow room temp air to get into the area where the water inlet is but that is memory.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

It's your bootlegging space.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I have a 39K and don't remember that panel. I think mine is carpet but I need to check - If I don't get back to you tomorrow send me a PM as a reminder. I do remember an opening down there but thought it was towards the middle of the bed and (I think) the purpose is to allow room temp air to get into the area where the water inlet is but that is memory.
I went out and looked at mine which is a couple of years older than yours. In the area at the forward side and under the bed is carpet. We store window shades there and a printer. The only opening is near the middle closer to the foot of the bed and many wires go through that opening. Towards the closet side at the foot of the bed is a removable metal plate that can be removed to get access to the turbo charger (if I remember correctly). Maybe a call to Winnebago might let you know if they opened that area for a reason?
Old 08-24-2015, 10:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

We have a 2004 39W Journey. There is a "hole" in the floor under the bed ... this is how heat gets from the coach to the water / electric bay when it is cold ... the warm air flows into the bay through the hole ... I discovered it one cold morning when I opened the bay door and warm air hit my face.

On my coach there are several wires that go through the hole ... but the hole is much bigger than what would be needed for the wires. I am careful to not cover the hole when we are travelling in cold weather.
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSR View Post
Maybe you have the ice house fishing option…. Sorry bad Minnesota joke.
My DW is from Duluth, she'd like that option!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

jnwhite, looking at the plumbing drawings for your coach it is a factory installed cutout. OP may have covered it up so the could store stuff there with out it falling into the hole.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:48 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Jay,
Is there another hole under the bed with the wires going down into the electrical compartment? If so then I'd bet a previous owner added the one that was covered with the plywood.
Bob
Old 08-25-2015, 05:23 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

We had a 39K with the same hole and I figured it was to distribute heat. But, I liked to store things there so I covered the hole with 1/4" hardware clothe to keep things from falling in the hole, and the I built a "bridge" over the hole with two short 2x4's and a piece of plywood. Keeping the plywood raised off the hardware clothe with the 2x4's allowed for plenty of ventilation.

cheers,
Joopy

PS - the hardware clothe also prevented the coyotes and raccoons from getting under the bed
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
Jay,
Is there another hole under the bed with the wires going down into the electrical compartment? If so then I'd bet a previous owner added the one that was covered with the plywood.
Bob
Yes, the wiring to the electrical panels is a separate hole.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:21 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
We had a 39K with the same hole and I figured it was to distribute heat. But, I liked to store things there so I covered the hole with 1/4" hardware clothe to keep things from falling in the hole, and the I built a "bridge" over the hole with two short 2x4's and a piece of plywood. Keeping the plywood raised off the hardware clothe with the 2x4's allowed for plenty of ventilation.

cheers,
Joopy

PS - the hardware clothe also prevented the coyotes and raccoons from getting under the bed
Yes, when I found the hole, I was very worried about critters getting in. I was thinking more like mice and bugs, but larger critters could fit too, but coyotes might be a tight squeeze

I am leaning toward using one of those cast aluminum foundation vents. Has screening and can be opened (cold weather) or shut off (warm weather and storage). Strong enough to keep critters out too!!!!!!!!!

Jay
Old 08-27-2015, 03:08 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

I have a 34H so I suspect the under bed arrangements are a little diffferent, but at the bottom of the bed is a framed box as high and wide as the frame, and maybe 10" deep. If you take off the top of this box I have the same hole and it's open to the elect bay. Its used as a vent to the bays as well as a cable pass-thru, AND service to the slide ram. Ventilation for it is at the other end of the bedframe box where there is a grate opening to the coach interior.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:38 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

A year or two or three ago I was a post where someone mounted two 12 volt computer like fans to blow air down to help heat the lower area as he was in below freezing area.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:03 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc8cappie View Post
A year or two or three ago I was a post where someone mounted two 12 volt computer like fans to blow air down to help heat the lower area as he was in below freezing area.

That could be a good idea. I have had the water freeze one during a real cold spell.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:55 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Water tank isn't down there, but people have taken those fans and turned them around to ventilate the inverter

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 08-28-2015, 05:44 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Water tank isn't down there, but people have taken those fans and turned them around to ventilate the inverter
Not the water tanks but maybe water lines? On my 39K I believe that vent (hole in the floor under the bed) allows some air into the electrical compartment and to the water control panel & shore water hook ups. As a side thought would there be sufficient air circulation to move to other compartments?
Old 08-29-2015, 01:59 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

There certainly is plumbing down there. Its been too long since I've been in there but supposedly theres enuf circulation to keep things above freezing.

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 09-02-2015, 01:58 PM   #20
Winnie-Wise

That little space gives you access to replace the bedroom HWH hydraulic ram when the seal blows; I hope you don't find out the hard way $$$.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey