Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-30-2018, 03:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Mud flaps / Stone guard

I find it curious that my recently purchased ‘16 Sightseer has no mud flaps or stone deflector. Looking to see what others have done or can recommend.
My previous rig had Rock Solid serrated guards that seemed to work. Comments? Opinions?
Thundr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:57 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundr56 View Post
I find it curious that my recently purchased ‘16 Sightseer has no mud flaps or stone deflector. Looking to see what others have done or can recommend.
My previous rig had Rock Solid serrated guards that seemed to work. Comments? Opinions?
Had to make them myself. Got semi-truck flaps at a Flying J. They cover the whole wheel well area behind the wheels, from the floor of the coach down to about 4" above ground. Added the stainless steel at the bottom to help help keep them from sailing too much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150917_134740.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	259.1 KB
ID:	170493  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 08:31 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
Had to make them myself. Got semi-truck flaps at a Flying J. They cover the whole wheel well area behind the wheels, from the floor of the coach down to about 4" above ground. Added the stainless steel at the bottom to help help keep them from sailing too much.
Looks good. I’m just surprised that not only is this feature not standard, but that they are not all that plentiful in aftermarket. They can be found but it doesn’t appear to be much of a market. Did you have to pull your wheels to install yours?
Thundr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:33 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Looks good. I’m just surprised that not only is this feature not standard, but that they are not all that plentiful in aftermarket. They can be found but it doesn’t appear to be much of a market. Did you have to pull your wheels to install yours?
I didn't pull the wheels. It helped to raise the rear of the MH on the jacks to get more room to work in the wheel wells. There are outriggers just to the rear of the wheels that I screwed the flaps to. Had to trim a bit off of the driver's side flap to clear the leaf springs.

I drilled pilot holes and then used self-drilling screws with washers. I used screws with octagonal heads so that I could use a socket on my drill to insert them. That made it a bit easier to get the screws in.

I was a bit dismayed when I realized that there were no mudflaps from the factory. There are front ones from the factory. Wouldn't cost Winnebago anything to put them on and would have saved me a lot of work.

Here's another thread with some discussion about the mud flaps with comments by DuraFlap:

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...3c-203152.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1215.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	170494  
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 11:08 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

That's really weird there wouldn't be any mud flaps. I thought that was a Federal Transportation requirement for large vehicles. Also, doesn't Winnie buy the chassis? So the chassis maker didn't put them on, and Winnie didn't do anything about it. Strange.

In any case, it is hard to find new mud flaps in many stores fixated on cars, but you can usually find them at truck parts stores, or truck stops as mentioned as a standard item. And of course the rubber can be cut from sheets at some truck parts vendors. I carry a spare I got in Mexico. Mine have a steel bar across the top that the bolts go through so you're not asking just the bolts and washers to hold it and prevent tearing from it's own weight.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 06:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
IMHO, mud flaps behind front and rear duals will help avoid rocks and debris from kicking up more effectively than from a full horizontal stone guard. The stone guard is usually located so far back on the chassis that when the rear drops low the stone guard makes contact with the road surface. If there are small stones, they could end up in your toad, or, the front end of the vehicle behind you. The horizontal guard does a better job of advertising the brand of motorhome you drive than serve its intended purpose. Oh, BTW, mud flaps are far less expensive.