Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2015, 01:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Mud Flaps-Splash Guards-36Y Vista

Dealer told me that Winnebago felt the Splash Guards were no longer needed due to the length from the tires to the rear of RV. Looking at adding mud flaps or splash guard but if not needed why spend the money. Any help would be appreciate.

Thanks,
Red
mvcompromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:48 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Long distance -duallies to rear bumper

Same question. I have an Itasca 31 KE and notice the same distance issue and am debating rear flaps behind the dually's. Wonder if they would make any difference at all given how much vehicle is behind the rear wheels?
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I added mud flaps behind each rear dual tire, plus I installed a full width hard rubber flap just forward of the rear bumper. I tow a white Chevy HHR and I am very happy with the results. No chips and car stay pretty clean, unless it pours down rain.
If you put one on the rear, keep it 4-6 inches off the ground.
Here's a look. Ultra Guard 00014 Motorhome & RV Mud Flap System (94" x 20" Mud Flap)

If you go with this one, order the channel iron mounting bar too. Makes the job a snap....
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:19 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Properly mounted flaps behind the rear wheels and a full width flap off the rear is the gold standard for protection of your toad and your motorhome.

Remember, all that stuff getting kicked up by your rear wheels is hitting more than just your toad. It also impacts the underside of your motorhome. That's especially important on a diesel pusher where a lot of important and expensive stuff is behind the rear wheels.

It's really important to make sure your flaps are stiff / heavy enough to maintain their position while at freeway speeds. If they blow back, they aren't doing much more than making you look cool in the parking lot.

Mud Flaps For Pick Up Trucks SUVs by DuraFlap gets my recommendation.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I had the mud guard on my last two coaches and towed the same car for about 9 years. The paint on the toad suffered over time. I installed the Blue Ox BX88255 KarGard II. This is much more reliable than any mud guard. Put your money in a product of this type. There are several on the market. I happen to like Blue Ox products.

Rick Y
Old 03-12-2015, 10:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

The mud flaps in the fender well are the first line of defense. You want them to be wide enough to cover the entire tire width, and long enough to be within 4-6" of the ground. If you have air bags, lower the coach and measure the length needed to be about 1" off the ground. That is the longest you can go so the mud flap does not hit the ground.
Do not let them tell you the mud flaps are not necessary. At the least, they do protect everything under the coach.
The mud flap on the back gives you that little bit of extra protection. From many stories I have heard, it comes in very handy when you have to drive over the alligator in the middle of your lane. Do make sure it is at least 4" off the ground so it does not create any wind vortex or hit the ground to throw rocks up at your tow vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dually wheel well close up.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	714.3 KB
ID:	88453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpine Coach.jpg
Views:	961
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	88454  

Old 03-13-2015, 05:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I had the mud guard on my last two coaches and towed the same car for about 9 years. The paint on the toad suffered over time. I installed the Blue Ox BX88255 KarGard II. This is much more reliable than any mud guard. Put your money in a product of this type. There are several on the market. I happen to like Blue Ox products.

Rick Y
I'm sure the KarGard II is a good product. I have to question the cause/effect relationship here though. Rick says that the "paint on the toad suffered over time." So the facts in evidence are that, over nine years, the vehicle paint deteriorated. The illogical leap is to attribute this deterioration to towing the car in part or entirely and, especially to say that the KarGard did, or would have made a difference. Whats to say all the paint deterioration wasn't caused while the car was being driven vice towed or, just sitting in the driveway. Only a carefully designed and controlled test could identify what contribution the KarGard or any other system, flaps included, make in protecting a towed vehicle.

I think the benefits of rear wheel mud flaps are obvious. The benefit of a rear bumper mudflap is more open to debate. Beyond that, other devices are more suspect. They probably don't hurt but it is very difficult to say how much they contribute to toad appearance preservation. How can you know about the rock that DIDN'T hit your car.

I used a Roadmaster Tow Defender with my last toad. I'm relying solely on my rear wheel flaps and rear bumper mud flap with this one. We'll see . . .
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
I'm sure the KarGard II is a good product. I have to question the cause/effect relationship here though. Rick says that the "paint on the toad suffered over time." So the facts in evidence are that, over nine years, the vehicle paint deteriorated. The illogical leap is to attribute this deterioration to towing the car in part or entirely and, especially to say that the KarGard did, or would have made a difference. Whats to say all the paint deterioration wasn't caused while the car was being driven vice towed or, just sitting in the driveway. Only a carefully designed and controlled test could identify what contribution the KarGard or any other system, flaps included, make in protecting a towed vehicle.

I think the benefits of rear wheel mud flaps are obvious. The benefit of a rear bumper mudflap is more open to debate. Beyond that, other devices are more suspect. They probably don't hurt but it is very difficult to say how much they contribute to toad appearance preservation. How can you know about the rock that DIDN'T hit your car.

I used a Roadmaster Tow Defender with my last toad. I'm relying solely on my rear wheel flaps and rear bumper mud flap with this one. We'll see . . .
I think I am following your thoughts. The hood and windshield suffered sand pitting. Mud flaps and rear deflector only. I had the car on a tow dolly. Had several dents in the doors do to gator babies being flung back. I work hard to avoid them but can't miss them all. Hitting a full gator is not a good idea with the best of protection for the toad.

The full tow bar cover seems like it is the best I can do. I am not against mud flaps, mind you. I just don't think they are the end all. I am hoping to keep the sand blasting down as well as avoiding the damage from the big stuff we sometimes can't avoid.

I hope this clears the air.

As far as DuraFlap goes? That product is just as good as any other for what it is designed to do. Is it made better than other competitors? I have no idea.

Rick Y