Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-09-2014, 12:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Mud flaps on Sunova 33c

I am thinking about putting mudflaps behind the duals on our Sunova 33c.
Has anyone done this? Did it do any good?
lrose44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrose44 View Post
Me too. I put them on my previous coach. I made them out of semi truck mud flaps that I got from a truckstop. I think that they are a good idea and should have been part of the package from the factory.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the reply.........on the drivers side I will need to build a bracket of some kind. Thought I would keep them about 8 inches off the ground.
Found the right size flaps at Rural King....$7 each
lrose44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Thanks for the reply.........on the drivers side I will need to build a bracket of some kind. Thought I would keep them about 8 inches off the ground.
Found the right size flaps at Rural King....$7 each
Ours is in storage as of now so I can't take a look at it. I can show you a picture of how the passenger's side behind the duals looked upon picking it up from the dealer. I didn't notice it until I got the thing home and then I was a bit perturbed by it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8351.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	300.2 KB
ID:	62508  
Old 05-14-2014, 04:02 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Exclamation

I pout a set of Mud Flaps on our SUNSTAR. Yes I had to build a bracket to extend them down. I used 24" X 36" Mudflaps and also a Anti Sail bracket. I added a piece of sheet metal to the top and attached it to the framework for the coach with self drilling screws.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Finally got mine made and put on. Used 24" x 36" truck mudflaps that I got at a Pilot truck stop and stainless steel anti-sail bottom trim. Mine are about 4"-5" off the ground while traveling. So far they seem to work well. I should have done this 5 years ago when we got the MH but just didn't get around to it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150917_134927.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	320.2 KB
ID:	110412  
Old 10-27-2015, 06:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Can't have enough mud flaps in my opinion. Our Suncruiser had pitifully small flaps from the factory, so I got some rubber matting and added to them. Makes a big difference in keeping the underbody of the rig clean. They don't protect the underbody metal very good, and rust can start real easy. I would advise anyone with a new coach to just get under it and look around real good. You will probably be surprised by what you find.
Peteyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

My unit had the rear flaps installed when I bought it. The next summer I got some old flaps from my local trucking company and made a set for the front.
I can't really tell if it does any good but it sure can't hurt to have these on.
I just had to be sure that the front jacks cleared the 'new' flaps.
Everything worked out great and this is my second year south with them on.
No problems that I am aware of.
winnie32v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

PETEYBOY,

You are absolutely correct about mudflaps and checking underside. I roll around under mine every spring doing paint touchup,looks better than new. Mudflaps like what AAUUMMM has, helps greatly, looks sharp too!

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
Finally got mine made and put on. Used 24" x 36" truck mudflaps that I got at a Pilot truck stop and stainless steel anti-sail bottom trim. Mine are about 4"-5" off the ground while traveling. So far they seem to work well. I should have done this 5 years ago when we got the MH but just didn't get around to it.
Those look nice. I have been considering doing this also but have not figured out the best way to mount them. Seems some metal fabricating will have to be done which I assume you did as well.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:36 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Those look nice. I have been considering doing this also but have not figured out the best way to mount them. Seems some metal fabricating will have to be done which I assume you did as well.
Actually I didn't do any metal braces or anything. The passenger's side I screwed them into the storage compartment wall behind the braces and on the driver's side I just screwed them to the steel braces that were already there. The driver's side lacked a brace toward the fuel tank direction and down low, but I didn't need one there anyway as the flap is braced by the suspension.

With the 36" length of the flap I was able to cover the whole backside of the wheel well clear up to the underside of the flooring. I used a large washer on each screw so that the screw wouldn't pull through the flap. So far it's working well.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

We suggest you may want to use polyethylene material instead of rubber. That material will not crack, fade or peel like rubber eventually will. As long as you get at least 3/8" thick, they also will not fly up behind as you move down the road so it is not necessary to get weights of antifly frames.
There are many different ways to create hanging points. Do not attach them to your fiberglass compartments. Here are samples of different ideas from down and dirty to well fabricated. They all work.
Just try to have the mud flap 1" further out on each side of the tires if the room allows, and within 6" of the ground to give the protection you need.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Itasca Sunova bracket.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	269.8 KB
ID:	110495   Click image for larger version

Name:	Itasca Sunova rear wheel well.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	110496  

Name:	06 Winnebago sightseer required custom bracket.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	110497  
Old 10-28-2015, 06:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

[QUOTE=DuraFlap;2801262]We suggest you may want to use polyethylene material instead of rubber. That material will not crack, fade or peel like rubber eventually will. As long as you get at least 3/8" thick, they also will not fly up behind as you move down the road so it is not necessary to get weights of antifly frames.

I used the duraflap mudflaps, didn't have to, but added stainless louvered anti sail panels and louvered weights,because well,aah they look really cool . Sometimes glitz needs to be added to make the function part seem less like work........and I told my DW they were absolutely necessary to ensure the proper function of the mudflaps,{she knows better after all these years}.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:06 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I have the conventional mud flaps behind the duals but also there is a full width flap quite a bit further back. Actually just aft of the fuel tank. That full width flap comes very close to the ground and I feel that it 'flicks' up stones at the toad.

Any thoughts on how much clearance the full width flap should have, or if it's necessary at all.

Thanks in advance
Old 08-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

That full width flap comes very close to the ground and I feel that it 'flicks' up stones at the toad.

I would agree. Years ago we pulled a travel trailer with a Pu. I got the idea big flaps would be a good idea since we traveled on rock roads around the lake. After I installed the flaps, the entire front area of the camper that was flat, tongue, gas tanks, battery box etc. was covered with rocks when we got to the camp site. Never was like that before the flaps, so the flaps didn't last long. Don't see why a motorhome would be much different.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:30 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Thanks alank. I've removed the long wide flap for now and if I feel I need it I think I'll make it about a couple of inches higher. Any other thoughts?