Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Motorhome Height - Is Brochure Correct?

Does the height stated in the brochure include the AC?
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:00 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Normally it does. I always round up to the nearest foot to be extra safe.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 04:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Never totally trust the brochure. Measure the height of the RV. If you allow a extra foot beyond what the brochure says you should be good.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 05:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakejumper View Post
Empty your unit (rides a bit higher) and find a level parking lot. Use a long, strait 2x4, a 4' level, a ladder and a tape measure. Bring a extra pair of hands. Pick the high spot, level the 2x4 on it and measure to the ground. Add a foot for safety. Now you know you know.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:20 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Pretty sure you can count on the Vista to not having height problems except in rare occasions that should be prominently marked with signage. You will not be as tall as some semi’s, busses and bigger motor coaches.

A few underpasses in rare occasions will be low and marked as such. Parking garages obviously can be too low, but you wouldn’t enter there anyway. “Most” if not all modern gas stations learned this lesson years ago.

If your brochure says 12’6” I’ll bet you’re under that height.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thank you everyone for your responses and good tips for measuring. I am traveling to Yosemite Valley from Fresno, CA and there is a height restriction on the tunnel at 12'10". The brochure states the height at 12'1", so 9" doesn't leave much wiggle room!
Old 09-27-2018, 05:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your responses and good tips for measuring. I am traveling to Yosemite Valley from Fresno, CA and there is a height restriction on the tunnel at 12'10". The brochure states the height at 12'1", so 9" doesn't leave much wiggle room!
For most all tunnels the height is marked at the far right edge of the tunnel roof. Move back 2 feet from the right edge (which is about where your RV will be) and the clearance is quite a bit higher.

To verify, if you go to Google Earth, Google Maps or Bing Maps, the chances are very good you can get a 360 degree photo view of the entrance to the tunnel to see what the actual signage says.

For Google maps, zoom in one the section of road where the tunnel is. Then look in the lower right of the screen for a little orange person. Use your mouse to grab the person and drag it to the road. If the road turns blue then drop the little green circle hovering below the circle on the road. Now you will see a 360 degree photo of the road. Scroll the photo right and left with the left mouse button.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:04 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Where are the tunnels? I have been through some but I don't recall where. No problems. I think the tunnel and bridge heights are travel heights and not precision measurements. We do bounce! You will have no problems. The low spot is what is marked.
Short story about heights. A lead car with a long 'height' whip was leading a flatbed truck with a very tall diameter pipe on it. I had passed the truck and the lead was in front of me by a good ways. I saw the whip hit the upcoming bridge. I looked to the rear and saw that the truck had locked up its breaks and the trailer was going sideways, tires smoking! The left side of the overpass had better height than the right side that the lead car was trying to pass him through. Now the poor guy didn't know if he could make it through safely on the left! He had to stop before chancing a collision with the bridge. I hope the lead car found a way back. Light traffic on the interstate so he could have done a U turn.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:50 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
If you read the brochure closely you'll see the height is measured at the highest "Standard Feature". The key word is "standard". If you order optional items like a satellite dome or dish, or any other option that is attached to or mounted on the roof it could change the overall height.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #10
Site Team

In other words. Unless you install something taller than your tallest factory item or travel with your full-size extendable SAT Dish up you’re good to go. Remember there are thousands of Semi’s taller than you. If this was a problem we’d all know about it.

PS. Very very rarely there are low overpasses. It’s super rare. You may never encounter one. If you do it will be marked... maybe with flashing lights and might even have warning sounds.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:43 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
In other words. Unless you install something taller than your tallest factory item or travel with your full-size extendable SAT Dish up you’re good to go. Remember there are thousands of Semi’s taller than you. If this was a problem we’d all know about it.

PS. Very very rarely there are low overpasses. It’s super rare. You may never encounter one. If you do it will be marked... maybe with flashing lights and might even have warning sounds.
Not exactly what the brochure is saying. The factory will install a number of options that may be taller than the highest feature that is "standard" equipment. They will install a variety of satellite dishes, satellite domes, satellite radio antennas, and other optional equipment. Some pieces of optional equipment could be higher than the tallest piece of standard equipment.

As a side note when we ordered our Adventurer we were told we could order any optional equipment that is available on any other Winnebago product as long as it would physically fit on the model we were ordering. The point being if you ordered a piece of equipment that is not offered on the model you order it could have an impact on the overall height of the vehicle.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:19 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post

I usually stay out of the discussion of underpasses tunnels and RV clearances. However for this one, finally, someone stated what I have found to be true, the above highlighted comment.

Over the last 14 years of large RV driving/towing I don't spend much time worrying about low clearance on state and US highways.

I DO pay attention to signs on the highways. Also I figure the worse that will happen is I'll have to stop and back up to get out of a low clearance situation. Even if that is a half mile back up. Hasn't happened so far.

I also DO research, IF we are going to drive on a local road. One main resources is using Google Earth scroll along a questionable route for a visual look at the road.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:37 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

My most common problems are trees along roads that don't get much truck traffic. If you're not careful they can do some real damage. I think that's how the prior owner cracked the skylight.

I have to remember to move closer to the center in my neighborhood and other such roads.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:39 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

I don't consider myself as OCD, but it seems that knowing your RV's height should be a requirement to operate one. Just watching the "11 foot eight bridge" website or YouTube videos should make every RV owner want to know its exact height. Anyway, Jericorick has the best advice above to get that height. I used a labelmaker to post the height of my Minnie Winnie on the dashboard right above the radio. I also added the metric equivalent for travel through Canada.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:56 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, I wasn't receiving any notifications of replies. Thank you for this good nfo. We haven't installed any non-standard items on the roof. The tunnels are located once you are on the park. Interestingly, some have a lower clearances leaving the Yosemite Valley than when you drive into the Yosemote Valley. Highway 140 is the entrance with 12'10" clearance. I will measure the height and look at Google Earth.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:29 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
My most common problems are trees along roads that don't get much truck traffic. If you're not careful they can do some real damage. I think that's how the prior owner cracked the skylight.

I have to remember to move closer to the center in my neighborhood and other such roads.
Now THIS is what always seems to bite me as well. I am still not trained to pay attention to whats on the side of the road as well as what is directly in front of me.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:50 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
Now THIS is what always seems to bite me as well. I am still not trained to pay attention to whats on the side of the road as well as what is directly in front of me.
Since the skylight is so vulnerable and expensive, I've been toying with the idea of fashioning a guard of some sort to mount in front of it to protect it from branches. I had to replace the original after I bought my motorhome due to prior damage.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome