Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-05-2017, 12:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Motorcycle lift on 2016 Tour

I'm buying a new 2016 Tour and I'm planning on putting a motorcycle lift on it. The specs say it has a 15000 lb hitch but it also says only 500 lbs vertical load do in concerned that I can't put the lofty on it since the bike itself weighs 750lbs.
Any one knows if I am interpreting the specs correctly and I'd do what are my options. Can I beef up the hitch to handle that load?
Old 02-05-2017, 12:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

My Hydra-lift is welded directly to the coach frame. Doesn't use the factory hitch at all.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Hi, I hope you are opening another can of worms! Don't worry, just google Hydra Lift systems and read up on them. I have seen a fair number of these, and the owners seemed very satisfied with them. I wouldn't put one on a GP because of light rear frame extensions, but DP's have full frame all the way to the back. Good luck. Happy riding!
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I was leaning more towards the cruiserlift I think it is removable and I liked the fact it was electric instead of hydraulic. I think it was a little cheaper too. I guess I will call them and winnebago tomorrow to see if it will fit. Otherwise I might have to consider hydra-lift
Old 02-05-2017, 02:13 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshackleford View Post
I'm buying a new 2016 Tour and I'm planning on putting a motorcycle lift on it. The specs say it has a 15000 lb hitch but it also says only 500 lbs vertical load do in concerned that I can't put the lofty on it since the bike itself weighs 750lbs.
Any one knows if I am interpreting the specs correctly and I'd do what are my options. Can I beef up the hitch to handle that load?
rshakleford,
Well Sir, kind-a hard to follow one of your sentences. "....500 lb. load do in concerned that I can't put lofty...." Huh?

I've done what you're thinking of. The first thing you need to do is:
1. Check the GAWR of both the rear and front axles so you have a base number that you work with, in terms of the coaches carrying capability, not the hitch.

2. Load your coach as if you were getting ready for a trip. Then GO WEIGH IT. This will give you a true starting point as to what your coach is carrying now, before any additional weight of both the intended lift and, whatever kind of bike is to be loaded on that lift.

Once you have all the figures, you'll know all of the important specs you're dealing with. And that will tell you what additional weight you can add before approaching or, going over the GAWR of the rear axle.

Then, the next step is to more than likely remove the factory trailer hitch. That will give you clear structure, frame wise, that will be the base mount for your lift. Now, an important point here, DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT WELD your system on the coach. If it's done correctly, bolting on the entire system is all you'll need and will NEVER let you down.

I did it that way with the Hydralift I purchased and installed. I removed the factory hitch and used the existing holes in the bottom of the frame, for (2), 1/2" thick, 4" x 6" x 48" angle iron base mounts. I then very carefully trimmed the rear fiberglass at the base of the body so the angle could protrude through. I used (8) grade 8, 5/8" x 2" bolts for bolting the entire mounting system on the bottom of the frame, where the hitch used to be. Those bolts never even thought of coming loose in the 8,000 miles we traveled that way.

From that point on, I simply attached the Hydralift saddle mounts and the rest is history. I set that lift up so that, if and when needed, the entire Hydralift could be completely removed in right at 6-8 minutes. That was really, really nice when it came time for engine maintenance and repairs. That lift was off and rolling away in a matter of minutes, providing a very clear approach for whatever maintenance was needed.

The lift was then re-installed, in the same amount of time.

Now, one of the primary reasons I mention to BOLT your lift or, support brackets or, mounting system to your frame is, if and when you might change your mind and go to a totally different system or, do not want to bring along the bike anymore, that ENTIRE system simply un-bolts and, you have no evidence that it was ever on the coach and, all you need to do is, bolt the factory hitch, right back on, cool huh? I have plenty of pics of the structural work I did to ready the system to accept the lift, in case you might be interested. Good luck.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

That looks really nice. Sorry for the grammar problems, I posted from my tablet and spell check helped me out
Old 02-05-2017, 04:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Fire Up; just curious, have you weighed you coach with the bike mounted? Can't see how you're not way over gross on the rear axle. With our 40U loaded for a 1 week trip and NOTHING hanging off the back off the coach we're right at 900lbs. OVER 20,000lbs which is the rear axle gross.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Nice job Fire up. Looks like you did your homework there. I like the idea of bolting the brackets on. 1/2 x4 X 6 48 long angle will hold a ton. We always used 5/8 bolts for frame attachments on the trucks. Most people have no idea how much they can hold.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 11:29 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshackleford View Post
That looks really nice. Sorry for the grammar problems, I posted from my tablet and spell check helped me out
rshackleford,
No biggie Partner. My spellcheck "tries" to help me out too but, I have to spell check the spell check quite often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Fire Up; just curious, have you weighed you coach with the bike mounted? Can't see how you're not way over gross on the rear axle. With our 40U loaded for a 1 week trip and NOTHING hanging off the back off the coach we're right at 900lbs. OVER 20,000lbs which is the rear axle gross.
D Lindy,
Well, this is a very long story but, I'll not bore you with all the details. In short, yes, I WAS quite a bit over the GAWR of the rear axle. In fact, with what you're looking at in the picture, I was 2,600 lbs. OVER THE GAWR of that rear axle. I knew it when I went into the project that I'd be over weight. Without going into my experience details, I knew what would work and what wouldn't. That system worked for well over 8,000 miles, all over the western U.S. without one single issue. The coach was NEVER effected by the additonal weight like some predicted. No porpoising, no wandering, no ill handling issues what so ever.
Now, we haul the Goldwing in the back of our GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Extended Cab, sitting on a Rampage lift. Both systems worked well. It meant and means, we have both our motorcycle and vehicle for various fun and needs when traveling.
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Nice job Fire up. Looks like you did your homework there. I like the idea of bolting the brackets on. 1/2 x4 X 6 48 long angle will hold a ton. We always used 5/8 bolts for frame attachments on the trucks. Most people have no idea how much they can hold.
Unplanned,
Thanks for the nice comments. If you read my answer to D Lindy, you'll see that, while the system worked, and worked FLAWLESSLY for over 8,000 miles, it was, without a doubt, a calculated risk. Bolting ANY lift on the back of a coach, frame wise, is to me, the ONLY way to do it. It can and has been done, without issue(s) many, many times. And, like stated, when it comes time for removal, there's no need for some welding shop or, any other expensive means needed for removal. Get out the wrenches! And, even better, the factory hitch is re-installed. doesn't get better than that.

There was a lot of weight back there, for sure. But, steel is steel and, THICK steel is even better. I loved that Hydralift. I might even consider it again sometime.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 04:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

firedup that's what we plan on for our Honda Aero is load it in the bed of our Dakota P/U.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote