Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Motorcycle Carrier for a Class C coach

Has anyone installed a BlueOx Motorcycle Carrier I P/N SC2000 on a Cambria 28b? BlueOx doesn't recomend putting this on a class C type vehicle.
two4oneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Two issues to watch here:
Can the rear axle take the additional weight.
next, remember a see-saw. Adding weight to the back will take weight off the front axle and most likely lead to steering issues.

Ken
Old 06-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Have you considered putting your bike on a trailer?
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

How much does your bike weigh? I've used this carrier on both my SUV and the MH for over 10K miles with a 300# bike and it has worked fine.

It uses a single 2 inch square tube into a 2 inch receiver. I would only use steel, because it will bend quite a bit before it fails. Aluminum can tear with no warning.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
How much does your bike weigh? I've used this carrier on both my SUV and the MH for over 10K miles with a 300# bike and it has worked fine.

It uses a single 2 inch square tube into a 2 inch receiver. I would only use steel, because it will bend quite a bit before it fails. Aluminum can tear with no warning.
What make and model is this? I'm looking for something like this.

Thanks.
shimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Some Class C do not have full frames as well. I had the issue once where I borrowed a Class C from a friend only to find that this massive bumper hitch was bolted to a sub frame that was bolted to plywood. Did not go well. JR
jroethke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I agree - determine the load on the axle.
How much does your bike weigh? Like above, I run a 240 lb dirt bike on a carrier, no problem. I wouldn't go to a 1000 lb tongue weight.

If the rig can support it, I'd suggest having some additional welding. Those hitches are a little too floppy with all that weight on a single receiver. We've welded a second receiver in before (any welding shop can do it) and it handles the load a lot better. Additional frame brace may help also.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by two4oneed View Post
Has anyone installed a BlueOx Motorcycle Carrier I P/N SC2000 on a Cambria 28b? BlueOx doesn't recomend putting this on a class C type vehicle.
two4oneed,
I checked out the part number you're looking at and, for the most part, that's a light M/C hauler. It (the company) might claim it will haul quite a bit but, like some of these folks who've responded, I'd put no more than the average dirt bike, plus or minus on it.

I've built "Joe Haulers" before and while they do the job, it's been stated that they're a bit "floppy", yep, I have to agree, they teeter-totter a bit due to the non-clearance fit of the hitch. If I were to do it again, I'd do it with two outside receivers in stead of using just the center one. The primary reason is because, you could come off the frame, sub-frame etc of the back of that coach, with your receivers and it would be considerably more stable and way stronger. The amount of leverage from a "bouncing" motorcycle back there is way more than one anticipates, no matter what the weight of it is.

Of course, the lighter the bike, the less effect it has on the structure of the carrier. And, like what's been stated, you must make sure the rear of the coach can handle "any" additional weight back there. If it's a medium size street or dirt bike, say, around 300-500 lbs, the suspension most likely could handle it but, could the frame/sub frame?? You'll have to be the judge or, have someone you rely on make that decision. You should, in the mean time, check your GAWR of the rear of the coach and, weight it (the coach) against that criteria. Then, you'll see what, if anything is left, in terms of additional weight carrying capability. Many coaches, class As and Cs, are running just shy of the max weight of the rear GAWR. But some, have plenty to spare.

I've hauled bikes just like you're thinking of doing and, the only issue for me was getting the bike up to the height of the rail. It took a fairly long ramp so that I was not doing too much work. I then tied the ramp to the carrier w/thumb screws. But, once it was up there, and I used (4) tie downs, it was pretty darn stable and that was a single receiver.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote